Debating a 284. Win?

Ideally if I were to build a rifle right now I would go 300. Win mag as I had one before and loved it as a duel purpose hunting/target rig. I love the 7's and had my eye on doing a 7 of some sort for a bit as well. Being a mag bolt face is probably do 28 nosler or 7-300. Win, and a standard bolt face the 284. Win sat top of the list followed closely by 280 AI. I just thought at a fair price here's my chance to try the 284. Win and if I don't like it I can rebarrel/rechamber to something else. Just not sure what I would re barrel too being a long action standard bolt face as most of my "DREAM/WANT" rifles are mag bolt face or short action

You can buy another bolt with a mag face when you decide to rebarrel, but thats gonna run you about $400-500.

Not sure about your bolt. I have had a SA Ruger tang safety and Remington LA enlarged. Ruger has its own mauser like extractor. The Rem had a sako extractor installed. Perhaps others can answer the question.

Not sure about your bolt. I have had a SA Ruger tang safety and Remington LA enlarged. Ruger has its own mauser like extractor. The Rem had a sako extractor installed. Perhaps others can answer the question.

The OP's rifle in question has a defiance deviant action, and i believe they use a mini M-16 extractor.

Instead of buying a new bolt or opening up this one if possible I'd probably try and find a caliber that has caught my interest and give that a shot. And just do a whole different built on a magnum bolt face.

Instead of buying a new bolt or opening up this one if possible I'd probably try and find a caliber that has caught my interest and give that a shot. And just do a whole different built on a magnum bolt face.

Just not sure what other long action standard bolt face calibers interest me. Like I said, magnums and short action calibers is what have my eye right now. 6xc, 6mm creed, 6x47 lapua, 6.5x47, 6.5 saum, 7wsm, 7-300. Win, 28 nosler, 300. Win

I'm talking to the gunsmiths now as far as price for a new bolt and the possibility of opening up exsisting bolt. While there is life left in the barrel I won't be changing anything. But when it starts getting tired or I'd like my winny I'd like to be able to do something

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.