However I must warn that you load and fire at your own risk. It would be an interesting test nonetheless.

I know it's on youtube, but check out. gunblue490. he should write book, before his info is lost.
I'm not saying he's correct. make your own conclusion

That's a potentially dangerous misinterpretation of the information provided from that link. Resizing your brass could re-harden the neck/shoulder area, but it will not re-harden the body or case head if those areas were allowed to get too hot during improper annealing.

yorke-1 misinforming the OP is the last thing I intended to do and as you state if the bases of the cases have been exposed to too much heat then the cases need to be scrapped. In post No 21 Long Bomber suggested running the cases through a FL die 4 or 5 times. All I was trying to do was indicate that there is reliable information available and where to find it.
kiwikid.

I would do a compression test of some kind....
New vs annealed vs "over annealed"...
I use the finger method..holding well done the case and pointing burner at neck to mouth angle...heat is still going to transfer towards the base but I haven't 'burnt' my fingers...and i seem to get decent annealings....
I also work in a lit room and do not look for 'glowing' orange..
Twisting the case slowly with the wrist seems to heat it quite evenly... 0909180940_HDR.jpg
280ai, .223, 26 nosler, .223, 65284
All three larger cartridges have been annealed..the 280ai and 26 tumbled afterwards and the 65 loaded after annealing....havent had one problem other than not getting out to shoot... .223 are factory loaded used for size comparison, and factory annealed coloration....

NEMTHunter, Yes I have tested it by using the socket in the drill method. Firstly I preheated the points of a pair of needle nose pliers to 250° F so that when I removed the case from the socket the pliers weren't acting as a heat sink. Then I annealed 2 cases each of .223, 22-250 and 257 Rob. The first case of each cartridge (the case on the left of each) I annealed to what I thought was correct. The second case I heated until the entire neck section was glowing cheery red.
Once heated I quickly placed them on a Fluke temp probe and these are the results I obtained on the case bases,
223 normal 201° F
223 extreme 258° F
22-250 normal 238° F
22-250 extreme 291° F
257 Rob normal 241° F
257 Rob extreme 288° F
Each temperature was the max recorded so yes they will burn your fingers but they are well below what I have read is needed to anneal brass. View attachment 124765

Very nice!!!

i use one of the home made jobbies. which, has the potentiometer to speed up or slow down the rotation of the pan. It will drop a hot case about every 5 seconds. I made the mistake once of letting them drop into a coffee can, and allowed them to just pile up to about 3/4 full, the heat level was way more than the 260 degrees.. as the previous post, because the can did not let the heat escape and just kept adding more heat to the pile .. not saying that his post was wrong for his testing, .Kiwikids test likely gave each case its own cooling time and if given each case its own time to cool, i agree quenching is NOT required.. just that there are people like me that screw up anything

for safety sake
, i tossed the whole can ... luckily they were just cheaper 223 cases

i dont water quench , cause drying em after takes too long ... but i do make sure they dont pile up anymore

Last edited:
Dusty Noggin you are correct, for my testing I stood each case on top of the temp probe that was sitting on top of a wooden bench. When I use the AMP I place the hot annealed cases side by side on an aluminium tray which acts as a heat sink. It would be interesting to dump a heap of hot cases into a can to see what temp they reached.

I forgot....as i learned making lead bullets for my mzldr...i started dropping them 'onto' wet towels...cooler temps didn't harden my lead bullets and the cooled quite quick(few minutes)...and that lead got way hotter than the annealed brass....

I remember many moons ago in an old Lyman manual they talked about holding the head in your finger tips and putting the case in, up to the neck. Once the head got hot remove the case and it would be annealed. I'll have to dig through all my OLD manuals to see if I still have this one. If i do I'll post more info. it may take a while but by using the lead pot and finger tips you will never get the head of the case too hot.

Hunter0528....
If that is inserting the case into molten lead????
Wow....thats gonna hurt after a bit....

I wouldn't give up on them that easy. Brass is hardened by getting to a dull red color cooled slowly then worked with a press or a hammer. Basically what happens when you fire it and then resize.

I would load up some light loads and fire them a couple times let them all get hard again. Unless you totally burned the alloy elements out I would give it a try.
I've got some lapua and go west trading brass for the 338 lapua that was what I considered was over cooked from the factory. I Neck sized only 3 times after fire forming with light loads then anealed. All shot consistent and still do.
Just my 2 cents.

It is my understanding, as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, that when you over anneal what happens is some of the material in the neck and shoulder area is burned off resulting in the term "Dead Soft Brass". No amount of reworking will correct from that state as the material at the neck of the case is no longer whole, it is is missing some of the metallurgical metal make up of the brass case at neck and shoulder. Here is a YouTube video that demonstrates the burn off of material when we over anneal:

I had another that talked more over annealing and the resultant "Dead Soft Brass" (Brass that is no longer useable) but can't find it at the moment. Depending on the system we use the dwell time in the flame will vary before it is over annealed. This person is using a dual flame commercial annealer so his dwell time is short. My expectation is the single flame, Drill and socket method will be longer but as several have suggested I will be using Tempilaq to figure dwell time in whatever method I used.

There are many types of brass used today. Yes if you burn up the element of the alloy it can go dead soft. That is when most of the zinc gets burned out and sometimes tin when it is part of the alloy.

Brass does not take much to temper and I'd doesn't take much to harden. Most brass that I use in the forge is tooling brass.
Case brass has very little tin and more zinc. So the zinc burning off is the key. Zinc melts off around 787 degree f. Which may happen a little at the mouth of the neck if the brass is brought up that high but being an alloy and binded it takes more heat to burn it all out.
Cartridge brass is approximately 30%zinc. So if you actually start burning it, you get a green color in the flame just like galvanized. I know I've done it in the forge melting down spent brass.

Burnt out brass in a case is so soft I can crush it pretty easy.

If your not sure about safety of firing a light load, turn out the lights and heat a couple cases up to a dull red color and let them cool down slowly. Resize the entire case and size to .003 neck tension.
Pretty easy to see if you can pull them easy or they have tension. Should notice the difference when you seat them.

I don't heat mine till they glow. I heat till they blue down the neck and the blue hits the should then quench. Yes quenching is not needed but I have found over the years with cases and forging brass that the bluing gets the heat to where I need it and the quench keeps the cool down consistent.

If you read any metellurgy books on brass, you will understand how brass is actuallyheat treated and temper. It's almost the complete opposite of high carbon steel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts