Thank you for doing all this work! Very relevant to what I am working on right now.... 6.5 Gap4s using Hornady brass

Last edited:
Hornady brass, correct? If you're expanding the sidewalls out, it's just an itsy bitsy, teeny weenie more understandable. But it still indicates **** for brass, IMO. Should be no problems expanding / fire forming those sidewalls out to the slightly larger diameter.

I'd send the rest back to Hornady for a refund. Not a replacement with more reject casings. And I'd tell them their brass sucks big-time.

I was using the Amp Annealer on my 7 Mag shooting 195 EOL.

I am getting a great node with decent speed and accuracy.

We took it out to 1612 yards the other day and the first shot was about 8" right of the bulls eye. Pretty happy with it.

I tested 5 of these with 61 grains 7828 SSC.

1. 2755
2. 2757
3. 2751
4. 2748
5. 2755

9 ES and 3.24 SD

The 7828 is looking promising.
I was using the Amp Annealer on my 7 Mag shooting 195 EOL.

I am getting a great node with decent speed and accuracy.

We took it out to 1612 yards the other day and the first shot was about 8" right of the bulls eye. Pretty happy with it.

I tested 5 of these with 61 grains 7828 SSC.

1. 2755
2. 2757
3. 2751
4. 2748
5. 2755

9 ES and 3.24 SD

The 7828 is looking promising.
What brass are you using for the 7mm Rem Mag and how many firings/issues? Thanks.

What brass are you using for the 7mm Rem Mag and how many firings/issues? Thanks.

Winchester brass, I neck turned around 150 pieces of brand new brass. I think out of three bags I only threw out 3 pieces. I need to knock out a brass life test soon.

The AMP annealer puts me in mind of the Jukie machine. Prohibitively expensive and necessity is questionable considering the price.

I guess of you have a large wallet, all is good. I don't so I have an Annealeze. Seems to work fine for 300 bucks. I did add some digital controls to it for repeatability.

Hornady brass generally sucks, all calibers. I prefer Norma, Lapua and Federal.

Odd how guys have such difference in their experiences.

I'm a range rat and pick up a lot of brass for myself and friends. But i pitch Federal brass regardless of caliber. But I've had good life out of Hornady brass.

Most guys feel that accuracy begins with the brass. And Hornady makes some of the most accurate factory ammo out there!

If it' good enough for them then it should be good enough for me.

Great thread to jdmecomber!

Thanks!

Odd how guys have such difference in their experiences.

I'm a range rat and pick up a lot of brass for myself and friends. But i pitch Federal brass regardless of caliber. But I've had good life out of Hornady brass.

Most guys feel that accuracy begins with the brass. And Hornady makes some of the most accurate factory ammo out there!

If it' good enough for them then it should be good enough for me.

Great thread to jdmecomber!

Thanks!
''Don't think I've ever picked up any brass at any range I've been at. I do pick up my own cases however. That is if I shoot more than one at a time....

The long range area of the range I shoot at is self supervised...so we pretty much manage our selves. They don't recover the brass and it lays there for weeks without being raked up. So the reloader's have free run of gathering beass.

The 'long range' range I shoot at 99% of the time in my own private range behind the shop. I farm, consequently, I have the land to have my own. I keep a 30 foot swath clear of crops as a shooting lane with a 1/2" thick High strength steel backstop with 4 feet of clay in front of it just to stop any projectile. Not even a 50 cal makes the trip through the clay and steel. I'm good at 'managing' myself and my close friends that I allow to use it. I have covered shooting benches and 'refreshments' close by. I quit shooting at public ranges, too many distractions, too many idiots.

Fifth Firing is complete 22 pieces of brass are junk. I have to say I am surprised by that. I got almost double with LAPUA. Keep in mind with this fifth firing all the brass was on its last firing.

Group 1 Amp annealed 5x
1 2890 ES 13 SD 5
2 2887
3 2882
4 2881
5 2877

Group 2 new brass, fired, annealed, fired, fired
1 2889 ES 2 SD 1
2 2887
3 2887
4 2889
5 2887

Group 3 Torch annealed 5x
1 2885 ES 19 SD 7
2 2879
3 2874
4 2868
5 2866

Group 4 new brass, fired, fired, annealed, fired
1 2879 ES 27 SD 10 A high shot maybe failed brass?
2 2881
3 2902
4 2883
5 2875

Group 5 No annealing
1 2899 ES 29 SD 11 A low velocity shot maybe failed brass?
2 2884
3 2870
4 2884
5 2897

I will organize all the data and try to figure out what I would do at this point.
Don't surprise me at all with Hornady..

Lapua, Norma and Nosler, you get what you pay for just like everything else in life. Ever notice how the flash holes are perfectly centered in those brands and usually no flash hole burrs either,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.