Annealing questions

ravot22

Where is the flame pointed? I've read at the shoulder / neck area and also at the center of the neck.

I understand it's best to anneal and then resize. What if the case is resized and then annealed? Do you resize the case a second time after annealing?

Thank you

Where is the flame pointed? I've read at the shoulder / neck area and also at the center of the neck.

I understand it's best to anneal and then resize. What if the case is resized and then annealed? Do you resize the case a second time after annealing?

Depends on the neck length. Short cases like 6 Dasher, I hold at the neck/shoulder juncture, longer like a 30-06, I hold mid point of the neck.

I anneal, then size. I wouldn't size again after annealing.

Annealling brass

I usually hit the shoulder/neck area at a 45 degree angle, with the flame lower than the case. I resize, tumble and then anneal. I have had good luck with this cycle and I'm on my 9th reload with my Lapua 6.5-284Norma brass. I'd like to think it was all the things I have done with it but Lapua makes darn good brass. JohnnyK.

You want the flame to "wash" over the shoulder area as the neck is the easiest portion for heat to transfer into. If you ever use tempilaq which is very helpful for anyone especially beginners you will see the tempilaq melt usually starting about mid neck. Like previously stated if its a long neck than aim for more of the middle but the shorter necks i aim for around the shoulder neck junction. As far as process goes i anneal then resize and then finally tumble, followed by trim,chamfer/debur. I found that the "residue" left behind from annealing would cause me inconsistency if left in the neck. I was worried about tumbling after annealing/resizing due to knocking the case mouths out of round but i have found runout and accuracy to be much more consistent using this manner rather than annealing last.

Annealing as a last step is somewhat backwards. The whole point of annealing the brass is to soften it so that the brass is moved more evenly and consistently when you resize so as to avoid neck cracking and and uneven thickness through the neck and shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.