Dead on at 100yds 4inches right at 400yds

Do you have an anti-cant (scope level) on the scope? What were the winds?
looks like you had about a 4mph wind left to right. It wouldn't appreciably effect zero at 100 yards (about .3 0r .4 inches) but at 400yds it would move the group right about 3 to 5 inches. The wind would be so low it would be hard to feel, but you could see it in the mirage using a spotting scope. If you're where you have trees or range flags, look for them to have leaf flutter or for the flags to move in the direction of the wind. It won't be much. It isn't scope level or lack of being directly over the bore, as at 400 yards the group would have been both low and to the right.

Your reticle isn't plumb with your scope's body. If your using your scope caps surface to rest your level on and it isnt square with the scopes internals it will be off when you go out shooting at longer distsnces using your elevation adjustment. Sounds like the scopes internals are tilting slightly in the clockwise direction. Square your reticle to your bore using a plumbline instead of a bubble level.

That's exactly what I did

I have been shooting from a bench and working on technique. It's just a bummer when you shoot a 1inch group at 400yds and can't repeat it

Consistency is always going to be a challenge for us all. One needs to figure out if it's the equipment or the NUT behind the trigger. For "me", it is almost always the latter.

Put a diff scope on the rifle to see if things change. The scope is the weak link. It is a process of elimination to find the problem. Change only one thing at a time to find the problem. If you change several things and the problem goes away you won't know how you fixed it. If the problem remains with as diff scope then you can zero in on the rifle.

There's too many variables. Shoot it again on a different day from the prone, set up at least one wind flag at the target for reference.

I did an experiment a long time ago with trigger placement on the pad of the finger by drawing lines on my finger. I could literally walk a horizontal line Across the target depending on where I placed my trigger on my finger at 300 yards.

how hard you hold in the shoulder pocket, bipod loading, lighting, mirage, (spin drift to some degree) can all play a part in poi.

before I became really disciplined in my shooting I would see lots of variables out past 300 yards depending on trigger finger placement and how I drove the rifle. One day or another I would drift left or drift right of center.

You may even Find your zero on your rifle Will change from day to day depending on conditions and how you drive it that day.

I would repeat it a few times in different conditions and see...

I have been shooting from a bench and working on technique. It's just a bummer when you shoot a 1inch group at 400yds and can't repeat it
Being off slightly at 100 is magnified dramatically at 400 yards. Add a minute left and go shoot it again at 400 and see what happens. If then hitting at 400 go back to shooting at 100 and see where it's hitting.

From the target pics you posted the 100 yard group looks to be about .75" right on average. If you were truly zeroed at 100 then the group would be at the center. At 100 yards it won't seem like much but the difference of vector at 400 yards along with spin drift or magnus effect depending on barrel twist rate could certainly push poi 4 or 5 inches right. I like to have my 100 zeros truly at zero or left of zero to mitigate this issue. Others have mentioned changing shooting positions and checking scope tracking etc. which are all good suggestions. I'd just like to suggest verifying your 100 yard zero is either exactly at, or left of center before moving out to 400 again. Good luck and keep us posted.

Got my gun shooting dead on at 100yds went to 400yds it shoots 4 inches to the right. My scope is level [checked it twice] what could be causing this.
Your group looks to me 3/4 to 1" right at a hundred. Multiply by 4 moa at 400 and your 400 group is right where it is supposed to be. Adjust that 100 yard group 1" left and all's well.

From the target pics you posted the 100 yard group looks to be about .75" right on average. If you were truly zeroed at 100 then the group would be at the center. At 100 yards it won't seem like much but the difference of vector at 400 yards along with spin drift or magnus effect depending on barrel twist rate could certainly push poi 4 or 5 inches right. I like to have my 100 zeros truly at zero or left of zero to mitigate this issue. Others have mentioned changing shooting positions and checking scope tracking etc. which are all good suggestions. I'd just like to suggest verifying your 100 yard zero is either exactly at, or left of center before moving out to 400 again. Good luck and keep us posted.
Targets 2nd pic is 100yds 1/2 inch left of center

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 219
As FEENIX noted, if all the basics are covered it must be you. Sadly, not all of us can really shoot great. I include myself in that group. `I'd start by taking my time while shooting. It improved my shooting a lot. I had a friend watch me shoot and the first thing he said was, "why are you in such a hurry"? ". It doesn't look like you are taking time to settle behind the rifle". The best thing you have going for you is...With work, you can probably fix it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.