Dead on at 100yds 4inches right at 400yds

So far on every suggestion you have indicated you have it 'covered', which eliminates the rifle. My suggestion is it is either wind or hindering shooting techniques which becomes more pronounced at longer distances. Try having someone else shoot the rifle or use a different shooting position (bench vs prone) for validation.
I agree, that should help winnow some things out. That is a very, very steady wind to be what's causing that drift in an OK group, but you've covered a lot of other bases. I'd say try it off a sled, a friend, sandbags, and sticks to see what happens. Also, how much recoil and velocity are we looking at? I believe you're right in being puzzled, I just can't picture what kind of gun is firing this.

300 win mag
What kind of rest? Getting just perfect on the bags when going to a different yardage can change things.
How the rifle recoils may be something to look at.

I have seen shooters get different bullet impack on target using this type of rest. mlwe3yrng0pdajo6knqd.jpeg When compared to bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.