Dead on at 100yds 4inches right at 400yds

No I don't . How much will wind effect the poi at 400yds
According to the JBM ballistic calculator, a 10 mph wind would drift about 10 inches at sea level if its a full value wind. A 5 mph wind is 4.6 inches to 5 inches at 400 yards. A 3 mph wind would drift it about 3 inches, and would be so slight that you might not even feel it. For a wind that light, you really need range flags. Since your group is impacting in line vertically, I think it has to be a really slight wind. A wind like that could come up between groups and not even be felt. I ran it on the Shooter's Calculator, too. You get a .93 inch drift for each mph of wind at 400 yards with your bullet, and mv. A 3.5 mph to 4 mph wind left to right will move the center of your group about 4 inches right, and may result in a difference in dispersion. The actual center of the group is about 3.2 inches right, and four of five rounds are within 1.4 inches vertically. The whole group is about 2.2 inches top to bottom. That's a 2 to 3 mph wind, not spin drift or misalignment of your scope, or improper technique. If you had poor technique, the group would be inconsistent. If the scope were canted, the group would be low and right. This is a slight wind that you didn't notice. Put up some wind flags and try again.

Last edited:
Got my gun shooting dead on at 100yds went to 400yds it shoots 4 inches to the right. My scope is level [checked it twice] what could be causing this.
It could be a multiple of things. If its dead center at 100 then most likely your shooting fundamentals/techniques are in tune. So your Rifle is pretty much on sight. I will ask though...ow many shots did you take at 100 yards to confirm your rifle at 100 yards? Three to Five? So Id say its more likely to be the WIND & elements. However it could be you & trigger pull.
Is it hitting dead center ay 400 yards? Just off the the Right?

As FEENIX noted, if all the basics are covered it must be you. Sadly, not all of us can really shoot great. I include myself in that group. `I'd start by taking my time while shooting. It improved my shooting a lot. I had a friend watch me shoot and the first thing he said was, "why are you in such a hurry"? ". It doesn't look like you are taking time to settle behind the rifle". The best thing you have going for you is...With work, you can probably fix it!!
I am sure I have a lot to do with it

It could be a multiple of things. If its dead center at 100 then most likely your shooting fundamentals/techniques are in tune. So your Rifle is pretty much on sight. I will ask though...ow many shots did you take at 100 yards to confirm your rifle at 100 yards? Three to Five? So Id say its more likely to be the WIND & elements. However it could be you & trigger pull.
Is it hitting dead center ay 400 yards? Just off the the Right?
Looks good up and down just off to the right

Attachments

• 4E053CD2-0C88-49EE-AE63-1637B58C44EC.jpeg
    4E053CD2-0C88-49EE-AE63-1637B58C44EC.jpeg
    946 KB · Views: 128
Got my gun shooting dead on at 100yds went to 400yds it shoots 4 inches to the right. My scope is level [checked it twice] what could be causing this.
My varmint rifle did this with one brand of bullet years ago. Changed bullet brand, problem cured. I think it was out of balance bullets causing the drift. Just my guess.

I would look at the scope. You also have a recent issue with your vertical adjustment with your Sig rangefinder.

Id say it is either the scope or the shooter.

Steve

As FEENIX noted, if all the basics are covered it must be you. Sadly, not all of us can really shoot great. I include myself in that group. `I'd start by taking my time while shooting. It improved my shooting a lot. I had a friend watch me shoot and the first thing he said was, "why are you in such a hurry"? ". It doesn't look like you are taking time to settle behind the rifle". The best thing you have going for you is...With work, you can probably fix it!!
Quit WORK!🤣😂🤣😂

A right hand twist in the barrel, add a 5 mph wind and there you are. Put 4 minutes left wind on the gun fire a five shot group, if the wind lets off and the group is 4" the other side I venture the scope is doing fine. HTH

I have always gone by the rule of thumb that to account for spin drift zero should be 1/4 MOA left of center at 100...
Or you can use a shooting app! I have a few but a Kestrel D2 Drop married to the StrelokPro App and kestrel wind meter has kept me within 1 MOA out to 1500 consistently with all of my weapon systems. I dial both elevation and windage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.