Custom rifle for 245 berger-250 hornady Atip

I was playing around in QL when I read this post. For giggles, I ran a max pressure load of RL26 in each of the following and adjusted barrel length to meet the 3000 fps requirement. QL preset COAL and case H2O capacity were used.

300 PRC (COAL 3.7" H2O 99.0): 78.7 grains RL26 2,999 fps @ 32"
300 RUM (COAL 3.598" H2O 112.5): 82.3 grains RL26 3020 fps @ 31"
300 Norma (COAL 3.68" H2O 104.0): 81.8 grains RL26 3014 @ 32"

I'm running 250 a-tips in my 300 RUM right around 3040fps 32" barrel. about 91gr of N570. I am sure I could change my load and have them shoot faster but this load shoots consistent .250" Also this happened yesterday with the Bergers
IMG_5189.jpg

I know there is a guy on here running them over 3k out of a PRC but ain't no way I trust that load. If you want to give up a couple fps and be able to mag feed the PRC would be a great option

300 Norma Imp or 30-338lap Imp would be good options also

I shoot the 245's in a 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby and a 300 Norma Improved. All of them shoot it faster than 3000 fps and all of them shoot the Berger 245 EOL lights-out. I love that bullet in these cartridges.

Thanks guys.
I wish we had here the variety of calibers that you have.
I currently have a bergara hmr 300 prc.
I think I'm going to go for a 300 rum with a 30"-32" barrel.
That is what I would do in your situation. In the 30-32" barrel, your max will be well north of 3000 fps, however that means you can run the bullets in the 3k fps range, and be easy on brass with relatively low chamber pressure, aiding in extended brass and barrel life, and generally overall consistency. It's always better to over-chamber and under-load than to under-chamber and over-load. Good luck!

How can they possibly limit your cartridge choice? NVM that's another discussion.
You could just rebarrel the rifle you have. What's the twist rate on it now?

EDIT: Looks like it should be a 1:9 why not load up some of the 245/250 gr bullets and see how fast you can push them, maybe you'll be happy with that for now. Personally if I already had a 300prc I'd consider a different caliber, probably something in 338

Last edited:
That is what I would do in your situation. In the 30-32" barrel, your max will be well north of 3000 fps, however that means you can run the bullets in the 3k fps range, and be easy on brass with relatively low chamber pressure, aiding in extended brass and barrel life, and generally overall consistency. It's always better to over-chamber and under-load than to under-chamber and over-load. Good luck!
I second this!

I agree with you.

Another vote for 300 Norma! Little bit bigger body diameter and a shorter cartridge. That way if you ever do want to run a magazine you can! Otherwise if you are just planning on running a single shot I think Rum and Norma should have similar case volume!