300 Rum 245 Berger/250 ATip single feed?

Idaho Trecker

I've done a lot of searching here and general Google and haven't found much definitive info on the combo.

Anyone here running a 300 Rum properly throated with these? Yes I know they will be single feed which I'm fine with. Just trying to find some more concrete numbers.

Is 3100 fps realistic with a 28" barrel?

I have lrt, rl33, n570, retumbo, and h1000. If I have to go any slower on burn rate I think I know where some slower powders are I could get my hands on.

I've done a lot of searching here and general Google and haven't found much definitive info on the combo.

Anyone here running a 300 Rum properly throated with these? Yes I know they will be single feed which I'm fine with. Just trying to find some more concrete numbers.

Is 3100 fps realistic with a 28" barrel?

I have lrt, rl33, n570, retumbo, and h1000. If I have to go any slower on burn rate I think I know where some slower powders are I could get my hands on.
See similar threads below.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/custom-rifle-for-245-berger-250-hornady-atip.304039/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/optimum-chamber-for-300-rum-with-245-berger.251467/

@FEENIX thank you.

I've been through those threads and the first one you linked had about the most information but 2.5 of 3 pages were useless.

I'm hoping there are a couple more people out there that have done this and worked to max just to see where it is for their rifle/comfort level at least.

Just a SAAMI throat for me. I do have a Wyatt's installed though. I was able to get to 2929 FPS with N570 with a COAL of 3.842". Very accurate, but wanted to save brass life just a little longer. Was on it's 3rd firing and just wasn't liking the feeler gauges in the primer pockets there.

I don't think 3100 FPS is doable with any longevity. I wouldn't feel safe there in a RUM, based on what I see, but who knows.

Last edited:
Have you tried seating bullet to fit and feed from magazine? You might be surprised. For decades we older guys never knew of the obsession for seating bullets into the lands or close. Heck all the Weatherby chamberings had huge jumps but they shot accurately.

We just seated the bullet to fit and feed and worked up a load. It worked till the VLD style bullet came out. Then Berger made the hybrid and seating depth again became a non issue. Lots of things to consider besides making a repeater into a single shot.

Heck, I made a load for a friend's 300 WSM with the 230 Berger hybrid. Seated at 2.8" to fit his Browning A-bolt it shot bug holes and got my old friend his last elk at 300 yds. The joke was the bullet base was sitting on the flashhole.

Worth a try.