Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

hey I have a neighor who will build yo a fine custon rifle and it takes 2 years and starts at 25,000.00 or you can buy a older adl remington 700 order you a E R Shaw barrel for about 250.00 and my local gunsmith will put in on for 50.00 and you can blue the barrel yourself or 10.00 also you can find a remingto 700 ADL sny stock for 50.00 on E-bay and you have 350. in a rifle that will shoot just a good as the 25K rifle.. I only lshoot wildcat custom rifles and I have no more that 350 in the barrels put on with syn stock with exception of athe 416 taylor because of the Houge stock.. I have two Mcgowen , two Montana rifle and a shaw.. they all shoot better than i can. one thing once a custom you own it the value is nile- with exception of a 280 Ackley imp. you can get a return on the calibre..

I paid off my equipment piece by piece. And 400 bucks is just an example of a chamber job and bedding. Do you really want me telling everybody how much we pay for barrels and stocks. You know what I mean. And I never claimed to get rich just that I sleep good at night knowing I charged for the work I did. Not some upcharge because it was a custom. If you bought all the parts and told the smith to do a chamber job for me. Then came back and said bed this stock. You would have one total. Go back to the same guy and have an exact duplicate custom made you pay 1000 dollars more. That's the crap I'm talking about. First of all if I buy all the parts I make alot more money already. Why would I then charge even more for the same work. I'll put barrels on all day for 250 bucks. That's about 80 bucks an hour for me. If I sell the barrel that's put on I make over 100 bucks an hour. I don't know too many people that wouldn't work for that kind of money. Same money doing a bedding job. And I never once felt cheated in any way doing work for veterans for half off. I still made money. And I paid my taxes just like everybody else. The reason my shop is in my out building next to my home is because I'm a 100% disabled veteran and part of me using the gi bill I paid for I had to work from home. I went in the military in 1986 and yes you paid for your gi bill for 12 months. You guys can dis me all you want but I'm not sorry for one dang minute of how I ran my business. I never one time ask anybody on this site for business. I've been on this site for 9 yrs and I defy you find me advertising one time. The only time you will see me telling someone to send me something was to fix their gunsmiths mistakes. For free. So yes I sleep just fine and feel good about all the work I did. I do own a retail store that is 25 yrs old. 6500 sq ft brick and mortar with 18 employees. I have empoloyees that have worked for me since the day we opened for 25 yrs and now their kids work for me too. I know how to run a business. I don't lose sleep on that one either.
Shep
Good for you !
From one vet to another Thank You For Your Service"

The customers you help out in a pinch or give some spare parts to. Or the guy at the benchrest match that you know don't have money so you help out with a free chamber job. That's the best advertising I ever did. Those guys sent so much work my way. Plus it just plain old feels good to help people out. Just part of how I don't know how to run a company kind of thing.
Shep

I paid off my equipment piece by piece. And 400 bucks is just an example of a chamber job and bedding. Do you really want me telling everybody how much we pay for barrels and stocks. You know what I mean. And I never claimed to get rich just that I sleep good at night knowing I charged for the work I did. Not some upcharge because it was a custom. If you bought all the parts and told the smith to do a chamber job for me. Then came back and said bed this stock. You would have one total. Go back to the same guy and have an exact duplicate custom made you pay 1000 dollars more. That's the crap I'm talking about. First of all if I buy all the parts I make alot more money already. Why would I then charge even more for the same work. I'll put barrels on all day for 250 bucks. That's about 80 bucks an hour for me. If I sell the barrel that's put on I make over 100 bucks an hour. I don't know too many people that wouldn't work for that kind of money. Same money doing a bedding job. And I never once felt cheated in any way doing work for veterans for half off. I still made money. And I paid my taxes just like everybody else. The reason my shop is in my out building next to my home is because I'm a 100% disabled veteran and part of me using the gi bill I paid for I had to work from home. I went in the military in 1986 and yes you paid for your gi bill for 12 months. You guys can dis me all you want but I'm not sorry for one dang minute of how I ran my business. I never one time ask anybody on this site for business. I've been on this site for 9 yrs and I defy you find me advertising one time. The only time you will see me telling someone to send me something was to fix their gunsmiths mistakes. For free. So yes I sleep just fine and feel good about all the work I did. I do own a retail store that is 25 yrs old. 6500 sq ft brick and mortar with 18 employees. I have empoloyees that have worked for me since the day we opened for 25 yrs and now their kids work for me too. I know how to run a business. I don't lose sleep on that one either.
Shep
Shep,
I enjoy your posts. I always read them carefully and many times read them several times over.I have learned a lot in a short period of time. Thank you for all that you do! Don't let the bastards bear you down.
-Johnny

I've seen some guns with engraving and wood work that was a more art then a gun.i bough a nice gun the most I ever spent on a gun. I was working 15 hrs over time week and had money to burn so I built the bullet .
Nice. What are the details on that build?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.