Which direction; custom rifle or high end factory

Dphung

I'm looking to get another 22-250 bolt. I currently have a 22-250 bergara b14 HMR. I love it but it is kind of on the heavy side. So I'm looking at getting a new bergara hmr pro or Christensen arms carbon for a factory built rifle or should I spend a little bit more and get one custom built. Purpose for this rifle coyotes, varmints, basic 22-250 stuff. Any help on decision making is appreciated. Pros or cons. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Custom because you can build it exactly the way you want. With factory you generally have to pick the model that's closest to what you want. You can build a nice custom for about 3k if you do prefits and put it together yourself

I've done semi customs because factory rifles just don't offer EXACTLY what I want.
Being I've done several semi customs I took the giant leap this past year and built a full blown custom and let me tell ya.
Nothing comes close to a full custom.
Unless I really wanted something to get by with (ie a beater) moving forward from now on will continue with full customs.

I've actually been contemplating a third option. Buy a factory rifle that's awesome. Shoot it out and build off that action. Or…you can buy a used rifle, part it out, and get right to the build while offsetting the cost selling said parts. No, it won't be a "custom" action, but you can find darn great actions (i.e. Tikka, Savage, Weatherby 307, old REM 700, etc.) and build it how you want it over time.

Dphung, I'm sorry that I can't offer you any help.

But, I will say Welcome from North Central Wyoming!

There's starting to be a lot of boys from my "home state" on the forum! What area of the state are ya from…..I grew up in Zachary! me

Dphung, I'm sorry that I can't offer you any help.

But, I will say Welcome from North Central Wyoming!

There's starting to be a lot of boys from my "home state" on the forum! What area of the state are ya from…..I grew up in Zachary! me
Baton Rouge

Welcome to the forum!

Save yourself the trouble of upgrading a factory action. Most will still shoot, but a fully trued Remington 700 (or any other) is just that. It will never compare to a custom action. You can get a relatively inexpensive custom action for what it costs to true everything in a factory action to get close to the same as custom.

If you do not have the tools, barrel vise and action wrench, I would say go with a Terminus Zues QC and buy pre-fits. You can have several rifles with one action, one stock and one scope. You could jump from 308 bolt to Mag bolt, just buy an extra bolt to jump between mag. Something to consider if you want to go custom.

If you do not have the tools, barrel vise and action wrench, I would say go with a Terminus Zues QC and buy pre-fits. You can have several rifles with one action, one stock and one scope. You could jump from 308 bolt to Mag bolt, just buy an extra bolt to jump between mag. Something to consider if you want to go custom.
Exactly what I have. I have 2 actions, one in a lightweight chassis for hunting and one in a heavy weighted chassis for competition. I have a 6 dasher, 6cm, 6.5cm, and 6.5 saum barrel and just swap as needed for my task. This also allowed me to spend more money on better parts. So instead of buying 4 scopes for $1000 I bought 1 scope for $4k and multiple barrels.

IMG_0041.JPG

20230617_104251.jpg

Last edited: