Saving up for a higher end rifle (like cooper), which caliber?

OK so if you were me what would you want both caliber and brand rifle for my needs. I hunt whitetails with a max range of 400 yards. A very rare chance at a black bear may happen and I stress the word "may". I like a handy rifle (lighter weight, 9lbs or less with scope would be desirable) and I do prefer lower recoil with flat shooting. I do a lot of tree stand hunting with shooting rails (those shots would be 200 yards and less) but we have some shooting blinds on fields that can stretch 300-400 yards. We cannot shoot prone in these blinds and I will likely not be shooting prone ever with this rifle so im thinking I would prefer a typical sporter style stock. So what caliber would be at the top of your list with this info and what rifle? As for rifle brand I have been eye balling cooper because they offer beautiful rifles and a 1/2MOA guarantee. As for caliber...ive shot 300 win mags and while I am ok with them I certainly don't like them. Even a 3006 in a lighter rifle feels a bit stout for my tastes these days. FYI, I do not care for brakes and would rather not have one so lets focus on a caliber which is less recoil than a 3006 with out a brake. I do reload, but prefer rounds which are somewhat available at the gun stores. So what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Big-E,
Get the rifle you want and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Greyfox has been a great resource for me on this site. I have owned the Jackson Hunter and also a Timberline in the 6.5-284. They shoot bug holes. Before I shot longer distances, I had a top of the line Nikon on the Jackson Hunter. Would knock-em dead consistently at the yardage you will be shooting. Lite and easy to manage.
Lapua makes the brass for the gun, as an added bonus. I don't think you will ever regret your purchase... Oh yeah, the Customer Service is tops.
Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back.

I think there are lots of great cartridges out there that would offer the performance necessary and meet your criteria. In my humble opinion, the ones you should consider are the cartridges that are easiest to find factory ammo for and are routinely chambered in many brands of rifles. In my mind, considering all you've mentioned, that narrows it down to really four cartridges: 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, and 270 Win. The 243 could be possibly have some limitations with bear approaching the 400 yard range, and the 270 has recoil only slightly less than a 30-06. So maybe the middle two. Regardless, you will be able to find quality ammo everywhere in a variety of loads and a reasonable price. All the best!

I shoot 25-06 Remington. I'm in your boat. In my part of TX long range 200 yards and extremely 300-400. With a quality bullet with reloading I can honestly state I have not lost a deer in 20 years. No recoil, very flat shooting and have shot everything native and a lot of exotic too. But never hunted bear so "I" can not say it would do for a bear gun. But I would hunt black bear with it within 125 yards. Just my opinion. Take this info for what you will sir.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.