Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

Thanks Johnny. Some people just can't except what others do or how they do it. But the name calling and telling someone they don't even know that they are clueless and don't know how to run their own business is just dumb and immature. My wife and I business model works for us. We treat our employees and customers like family. That's how we've done it for 30 yrs. We're still open and many have come and gone since we opened. I never cut corners or do less of a job if the money was less. I built every rifle to the same benchrest standards as I do the target rifles. I don't care if someone brought me a junky action and a Shaw barrel I put it on with the same care as I did with a custom Bordin and a Bartlein. I think more businesses would prosper with this approach. It's simple treat others as you would like to be treated. I love being on this site because I can give back to the sport I love so much. There are always the few on every site and that's why I am on this site only. Way less of it here than Accurate Shooter and Sniper hide. A ton of super nice knowledgeable people on this site. But we're shooters. And I've never been in a sport were everyone tries to help everyone. Even at highly competitive matches everybody helps you out if you need it. I've seen guys literally take there rifle and ammo to the line for a competitor to use because their rifle broke. If you forgot something just ask the guy next to you if he doesn't have it the guy next to him does and will gladly help out. Our sport has the best people in the country. So no a few people will not get me down in any way. Even our retail store has a few that you wish would go away but we treat them like family still. I got my grass cut had a nice cigar and a beer and all is good in the world. At least for 3 days till I have to do it again. Thanks for the support.
Shep

people with more money than sense
What nonsense. I am not personally interested in spending that kind of money on a rifle, but that doesn't make it stupid. I'll bet that the majority of people spending money on such things are successful for a reason, which is quite the opposite of having a lack of sense.

I am not sure what to say as I have not read all replies.
I have read your past posts and I have learned from them.
Thanks and may you prosper in your endeavors!

You know we're talking guys who are trying to make their living gunsmithing, not a side fun thing, they put food on the table building guns by the hour which you'd said is no way to make money but you tell those who are doing it are gouging people, yet you don't actually have experience in do it.
Your retail store, do you accept 10-15% or is it like a normal retail where it's 50-100% and require high roll over.
I've manage three businesses, and NONE ran on the thin numbers a true gun smith does, hence the deciding that gunsmithing as a business to support my family and build something is just not a viable option, but having a lot of friends in the industry I do feel for them and get a little carried away for sure in my defence!

I would be the first to tell someone do smithing because you love it not be rich. Our store runs on keystone pricing and yes when all is said and done a retail store make 10% on the bottom line is doing good.
Shep

What really sucks right now is our state has us closed. The government money to help small business is a joke. You have to pay your employees. Your rent. Your utilities. So my landlord makes his money. My employees get paid for sitting at home. The utility companies are getting paid. And I sit on hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory I can't sell and make nothing but still have to pay for inventory. That is supposed to help the small businesses. How messed up is this. My employees don't want paid because they can get an extra 700 a week on unemployment. Small business owners are all losing their but right now.
Shep

Some on here need to get a hold of their MRS hormone meds and chill out. People can charge whatever they want as long as there is a market for it. You can buy an Original Shelby and spend all the money for it or you can build one from a kit. A replica and spend half or a third as much. That way you leave cash left to buy your hormone meds.

Last edited:
What really sucks right now is our state has us closed. The government money to help small business is a joke. You have to pay your employees. Your rent. Your utilities. So my landlord makes his money. My employees get paid for sitting at home. The utility companies are getting paid. And I sit on hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory I can't sell and make nothing but still have to pay for inventory. That is supposed to help the small businesses. How messed up is this. My employees don't want paid because they can get an extra 700 a week on unemployment. Small business owners are all losing their but right now.
Shep

Amen, my wife is a small business owner and we got crushed. We are blessed with the with my army medical retirement and my current job as an engineer. When this stupid crap hit, literally all her customers for the next 3 months canceled. My wife is resilient and changed her business model overnight but that's not feasible for about 90% of small business owners.

ONLY in the land of retired disability are those the going rates!! How out of touch with the business and cost are you!!
Kampfeld is $275 for a barrel install. Pretty close to $250.
Yep Karl charges $275 for an absolutely immaculate barrel job, others I've contacted (including a few posting on this thread) quoted me almost twice that amount.
Guess who I'll be sticking with..

I have no problem with guys charging a fair price, but I don't care what the industry is price gouging just makes me see red!
I just got an astronomically ridiculous quote to plumb the shop I'm building, guess who just learned how to do plumbing..

To be honest most of the work I do for veterans is from guys at my VA hospital. I don't charge them anything. They come over have a beer and cigar and I work on their guns and it's a fun time.
Shep
Thank you for your service my friend, I have the utmost respect for guys who got beat up in the service more than I did

What nonsense. I am not personally interested in spending that kind of money on a rifle, but that doesn't make it stupid. I'll bet that the majority of people spending money on such things are successful for a reason, which is quite the opposite of having a lack of sense.
Not all people, a certain segment. Some of these guys are hard after the actual development of new rifles, loads, etc., or just want to max out their long range capabilities. More power to them. Others just want to spend their way into significance. I encounter these types in many areas of life, including shooting. Personally, I'd rather spend $12-15K on a nice little outboard fishing rig for the kids/grands and I, but that's me. Obviously, I'm not an ultra.long range, hyper performance.guy, but it's sure cool to read what some of these guys are doing. So, for most on this forum, no offense intended.

The long range movement is going stronger then ever. I was amazed at how good rifles shoot at 1000. And now it's 2 miles. When will it stop. 5 miles. Maybe. Have you guys seen the cartridges these guys use. The 338 lapua looked like a 243 compared to these new ones. Incredible times. This pic was on another thread.
Shep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-235931~2.png
    Screenshot_20200501-235931~2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
O K Shooters I agree with all above you are great. ?m would you but a rifle made in China- hell no and their rifle scopes a trash.. and all the clothing that is sold in wal-mart-Cosco - dillards is just trash.. people let us get a movement-- buy only Made in USA clothing- now Rifles from Europe are well Made and many of the Mausers are the best in the world- I saw an add on T V for k fit blue jeans for 79.00 looked up made in China . the American customers can stop this nonsense.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.