Custom CRF action

I'd suggest a nucleus, or an origin. I feel the ARC actions hold up to pressure a lil better. They proof their stuff to something stupid like 170k psi. I have several zermatts as well. I really like my Ti3 short action. Just built a new medium origin 65 Saum. I would go origin over tl3/sr3 because I like the swept bolt for a hunting rig, plus they have proper 240k pin fall. My Ti3 tl3 actions are only 200k pin fill. I think the origin has more consistent ignition with slower magnum powders, at the slite expense of a bit more bolt lift.
We have officially established that there are no more long-action Nucleus actions. We actually placed a call to to ARC to confirm what I found in the Spring. Unless he finds a used one, which there is one that's about to become available if he'd like that one. The Archimedes has been canned, too. Coup de Gras or Mausingfeld only available actions from ARC. Sorry, they discontinued the SA Nucleus, too. Nucleus is officially a dinosaur. That's really sad, IMHO. I did the homework and figured out they were the best alternative, myself.

I just bought another Kelbly Lite because the inlet to fit the Kelbly from an ARC is miniscule. They left me in a real bind since I'd paid for one for a build before the discontinuation was announced. Actually, I don't think it was ever announced. I also got a smoking deal on a Lite, so that made it too easy to choose. No, the Atlas Lite isn't a CRF, so I gave up on that idea, unless I pick up a new MRC Junction.

No one has ever had anything bad to say about an Origin, unless it's a bit of a gripe about the timing needed for them sometimes. That's a non-issue with a competent smith. You have to be careful which triggers and bottom metals you pick with all these actions.

Last edited:
We have officially established that there are no more long-action Nucleus actions. We actually placed a call to to ARC to confirm what I found in the Spring. Unless he finds a used one, which there is one that's about to become available if he'd like that one. The Archimedes has been canned, too. Coup de Gras or Mausingfeld only available actions from ARC. Sorry, they discontinued the SA Nucleus, too. Nucleus is officially a dinosaur. That's really sad, IMHO. I did the homework and figured out they were the best alternative, myself.

I just bought another Kelbly Lite because the inlet to fit the Kelbly from an ARC is miniscule. They left me in a real bind since I'd paid for one for a build before the discontinuation was announced. Actually, I don't think it was ever announced. I also got a smoking deal on a Lite, so that made it too easy to choose. No, the Atlas Lite isn't a CRF, so I gave up on that idea, unless I pick up a new MRC Junction.

No one has ever had anything bad to say about an Origin, unless it's a bit of a gripe about the timing needed for them sometimes. That's a non-issue with a competent smith. You have to be careful which triggers and bottom metals you pick with all these actions.
Well mausingfield it is then. I have a couple CDG short actions, they're a good action, but too much meat in them for a hunting rig, unless weight is of no concern.

Well mausingfield it is then. I have a couple CDG short actions, they're a good action, but too much meat in them for a hunting rig, unless weight is of no concern.

If they dropped the nuke and arch then I'm going to assume that they will bring forward the hunter weight CDG they talked about. Now when it will be released and how much it will weigh is entirely up for debate.

That being said the Mausingfield is a great action and you can't go wrong, I have mine built into a 20" 30-06 I'm just debating on a stock to put it in.

I wouldn't be shocked that they get rid of the mausingfield too. The way they talked they were going to focus on the cdg action 100%. I love arc and my nucleus but I wasn't that interested in the new action because there is way more moving parts and harder to work on then nucleus

Montana Rifle Co.
https://montanarifleco.com/

MRC 2022 RECEIVER

The all-new MRC 2022 receiver is a continuation of the original MRC 1999 receiver which is conceived in part from the pre-64 Model 70. Our controlled feed receiver is one of few on the market that is 100% fully machined from a 416 stainless steel blank. This provides the ultimate in precision and reliability.

View attachment 500823
View attachment 500824
View attachment 500825
Loveed the 1999. That said I won't buy a new one till they offer the gun with out the rails machined into the action.

Loveed the 1999. That said I won't buy a new one till they offer the gun with out the rails machined into the action.
Do you foresee an issue with alignment or compatibility or due to the added weight? Generally guys prefer lug and rail machined in for solid interface (perceived accuracy enhancement). Give me your take on the problems with this before I go all-in.

I fall in the category where I prefer no rail machined in. It boxes the action in to much narrower mounting latitude. Would be nice (it's stating to with some companies) to have a semi standard mounting pattern.

Many due to me loving direct mount options, and clean installations.

This is highly conflicting.........Montana Rifle Co made in Michigan? They filed bankruptcy here in the flathead valley 4-5 years ago and liquidated everything. I didn't think you'd ever see em again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_131246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017_131246_Chrome.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 22
This late today in my inbox: Maybe I'll just watch from a distance. Sounds like a VERY small operation, most likely. 2 or 3 guys maybe. Maybe not. IDK.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020_193758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231020_193758_Chrome.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 45