Which custom action???

Look at jim pierce's action at www.pierceengineeringltd.com/I like his multiflat action and it can be had with or without intigral rail. Jim also does his own scope rings that can be had with 0, 20, 30 MOA cant put in them without having to deal with a rail. Jim ceracoats all his actions included in the price. I have one of his regular pierce actions and lug and its very nice. He also puts a different firing pin assembily in his actions that reduces lock time. Mine cost right at $1000 for a magnum long action in left hand ceracoated.

I am going to build a switch barrel on his multiflat action in a AICS stock. He quoted me a price that was litterally $800 less than almost anywhere I looked. Pretty cool guy.

I have 3 Lawton's, Barney era, and love them. But I have a trued Remington that probably outshoots them all.

Miles

Interestingly, I have a few trued 700s and as of yet, I cannot tell any superiority of the custom actions but that said, and in all fairness to the custom action rifles, I haven't had time to play with all of them much yet.

Look at jim pierce's action at www.pierceengineeringltd.com/I like his multiflat action and it can be had with or without intigral rail. Jim also does his own scope rings that can be had with 0, 20, 30 MOA cant put in them without having to deal with a rail. Jim ceracoats all his actions included in the price. I have one of his regular pierce actions and lug and its very nice. He also puts a different firing pin assembily in his actions that reduces lock time. Mine cost right at $1000 for a magnum long action in left hand ceracoated.

I am going to build a switch barrel on his multiflat action in a AICS stock. He quoted me a price that was litterally $800 less than almost anywhere I looked. Pretty cool guy.

Well I just read his website and I'm really impressed. Thanks a bunch, now you went and thinned my wallet AGAIN. I have to have a Titanium action in LH. Dang you. You get to explain this one to my wife. :D

Now I got it!!! Thankyou! Those Defiance actions are beautiful but scared to go with a company that has a different name every year.
I would not be worried about the quality of the action. Defiance has been at it for 10 yrs. at that name and has about 20 employees now, his shop is about a block away.He has about 5 tang choices and many options. He is the maker for many customs, buy the gunsmiths, with there "namesake" including some on this site.

Well I just read his website and I'm really impressed. Thanks a bunch, now you went and thinned my wallet AGAIN. I have to have a Titanium action in LH. Dang you. You get to explain this one to my wife. :D

Just tell her that one of jims actions are less than therapy. If you call jim he is one of the easiest smiths Ive talked to and for much less than what I have seen.

Which custom action do you prefer and why?
I just spent a lot of time looking at actions for a new hunting rifle. There are so many good ones it takes a lot of time and thought to sort thru them. When I looked at each individual action, I tried to think of things that I could change that would either make it better fit my needs and taste or make it a better quality part. The action that had the least changes was a Surgeon.

I just spent a lot of time looking at actions for a new hunting rifle. There are so many good ones it takes a lot of time and thought to sort thru them. When I looked at each individual action, I tried to think of things that I could change that would either make it better fit my needs and taste or make it a better quality part. The action that had the least changes was a Surgeon.

This is good subjective intel. Please go into more detail about what changes you prefer. I ask because I see no point in reinventing the wheel. If I have changes in mind, or anyone else, then we can piggyback on your thoughts.

I have not looked much at Surgeon actions.

I still struggle with believing whether or not any of us can tell any difference between most of these actions in terms of accuracy potential while in the field. So that is another reason why I tend to spend money on the actions that are not as expensive. I just don't think that I'll be able to tell much difference. That said, I do consider cosmetics, feel, and quality.

......Please go into more detail about what changes you prefer. ......
Integral scope mounting rail

Integral recoil lug

One piece bolt

Bolt clearance suitable for hunting that gets tighter when closed

Many of the action builders and some component builders as well as gunsmiths tout one or more of these features. Surgeon has them all. Surgeon doesn't offer a stainless steel option.

Integral scope mounting rail

Integral recoil lug

One piece bolt

Bolt clearance suitable for hunting that gets tighter when closed

Many of the action builders and some component builders as well as gunsmiths tout one or more of these features. Surgeon has them all. Surgeon doesn't offer a stainless steel option.

Pierce engineerings multiflat tactical action has all these features and is $250 less than the surgion and comes ceracoated where surgeon charges another $125 to ceracoat their action.

Pierce engineerings multiflat tactical action has all these features and is $250 less than the surgion and comes ceracoated where surgeon charges another $125 to ceracoat their action.

Here is the link to an article at 6mmbr.com about this multiflat action and a link to surgeons prices so that everyone can look and compare.

Pierce Multiflat
New Tactical Multi-Flat Action from Pierce Engineering « Daily Bulletin

Surgeon 1086
1086/R and SS Details | Surgeon Rifles

The pierce comes ceracoated and the surgeon does not. I spoke to the guys at surgeon and they said that they ceracoat the action for $125. If you send pierce your barrel blank then he will chamber a standard for ~$175 and a magnum for ~$200. and he said he would only charge me another $50 to ceracoat the barrel along with the action. That being said you are saving nearly $225-$300 by going through pierce. THats about a 15% savings over the surgeon rought. I like surgeon but think that pierce is just as good if not better in some respects and for a substantial savings. I am not affiliated with pierce just want to promote for a guy that has been super cool to me. As a side note I made a mistake with what bolt handle I wanted, my fault, and pierce said they would make me the bolt handle I wanted and re-ceracoat the action at no charge. now thats cool.

I'll let you know more in a couple months how I like it, but I am building a BAT 30/375 S.I. as you probably know. I live about two miles from BAT (Bruce Thom) and have looked at and handled a lot of his stuff. I can tell you that the fit and finish is outstanding and now that he has the melonite treated option, they are REALLY slick. Also, if you look at the 1000 yard bench results, it's a no brainer!.......Rich

Why don't I see that when I look at their website? All I see is a big ugly action with a bolt on recoil lug and rail and no information about the bolt.

I'll let you know more in a couple months how I like it, but I am building a BAT 30/375 S.I. as you probably know. I live about two miles from BAT (Bruce Thom) and have looked at and handled a lot of his stuff. I can tell you that the fit and finish is outstanding and now that he has the melonite treated option, they are REALLY slick. Also, if you look at the 1000 yard bench results, it's a no brainer!.......Rich

hey rich which one did you get and how much was it? I like the hunting and tactical actions since there designed to run dirty. Do you think there is an issue since all the bat actions I have heard of are so tight? Keep us updated on the 30/375 S.I. project also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.