Custom action advice

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by matt_3479, May 26, 2017.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Never had a chance to look at pierce till last fall even though they are 1:10 min from me. I used one loved it and drove over to check them out. Well all said and done I had them do me a full custom ti rifle. By far the only rifle that surpasses what I had built up in my head. Usually I'm let down as I build it up to be so awesome and they just never live up. The pierce has and will be using them for my next build as I only wait about 5 months and most was for the stock. Action is amazingly smooth.

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

That's another action that has plenty of innovations in one package. I know a resident smith did not care for it but I do like it ... perhaps some day on another project build. :D

3. Longtooth32

Longtooth32 Well-Known Member

Just posted this in another thread...

There is some great help here at LRH...

Thanks again for your help...I have a Mausingfield long action with a .536" bolt head shooting a 270 Wby pushing the 170 Bergers at 3225 fps...28" Benchmark barrel...barrel nut...

Stocky Stock had a sale on the 28" Proof Research barrels in 6.5x284...

So I am trying to do (explore) the extreme barrel switch...and get in on the so called 6.5mm craze...the 6.5x 284 COALs to over 3.2+"...so I can use my long action...

Spent about $450 with Chad Dixon for a new .474" bolt head and extractor...they even walked me though how to change the bolt head...

LRI is a class outfit...

4. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I hope to someday have a Mausingfield Hunter Action. I made a deposit in June 2015 to get my name on the list for one of them.

5. Mcranch1242

Mcranch1242 Member

Thanks good info for a lot of folks

6. Longtooth32

What makes the Mausingfield Hunter Action different from his current actions?

It took me over a year and a half to get a long action (mag bolt face) and I have been very happy...

TIA

7. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

Nothing is set in stone until some are actually made but based on the preliminary design I saw, bottom cut for BDL style bottom metal and integral scope ring bases.

8. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I think the 300 Norma is the one to look at, not the 308 Norma.

Steve

9. Longtooth32

Just get a current action...

I am running a HS-Precision bottom metal...BDL standard...do not have to inlet any 700 Rem pattern stock...the mags have a rubberized bottom end...the mag release is in the trigger guard...nothing to hit the mag release if you have to carry your rifle...no sharp edges on the mags...mags are controlled center feed...

With the scope bases...just attach anything that runs the Picatinny base and you are good to go...

I hope this helps...

10. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

Purchased a kelbly action after weighing out a lot of things, spoke with the boys at kelbly and made the decision a little easier. I am excited to get it as it should be here Tuesday-Wednesday I'm thinking!