Custom actions, are they worth it?

I do agree with that, for absolute competition accuracy.

But for a hunting rifle, can you actually see the difference in accuracy between a Savage, a Bighorn and a BAT Vesper. Will the BAT cut your groups in half for twice the price of a Bighorn?
Adam
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
We have hunting rifles from years ago that are "Factory 700s, Ruger 77s" that after "Tweaking" got <1/2 to 0.15 moa.
For a "Hunting" rifle you need to look at then the accuracy. If you are just several 100 yards may be just fine with factory actions. When shooters start looking at making a custom build with your Defiance, BAT, Impact and spending $,$$$ they might be looking to shoot LR Hunting where you need say 1/3" moa.
I see hunters wanting to build a $,$$$ rifle for just deer hunting and the most they will ever shoot is 2-300 yards. Todays off the shelf Factory rifles are more than good for that.

As for your question on actions and accuracy, YES (but not 1/2) you can have the BAT, Impact, Defiance, but if you don't have the BARREL, STOCK, TRIGGER, GLASS and a good GUNSMITH to put them together-JUST get a Factory Rifle.

The high $$$$ Action may have an advantage as far as "Working" Smooth, Fast, Easy, Bolt Handle Throw.

We have several $2K BAT Actions and 3/4 that price for Impact, Defiance- These were not bought for hunting.
BUT if I had a chance of a lifetime to an ARGALI Sheep you bet your butt that I would have the BEST of the Best rifle components.
BTW had an opportunity to go on a hunt for the Argali Mountain Sheep about 20 years ago and it fell through due to Political Boundaries.
Look at all the 700s Actions in Marine Sniper rifles! I am sure that the Armory checks them out, but they are still a Rem 700 action.
When hunting you really only need one shot - Bolt, Lever, Pump.
If I was in Combat, Competition, or hunting LR ????
We have recently got some American Rifle CDG Actions for a decent price and very good Action that will be using for Target and also putting on Hunting Builds.

This is pretty true. I wish there was a lightweight and reasonably accurate single shot rifle that isn't a bolt gun. But it's a tall ask. Nothing is free floated(hand guard screwed on the barrel), everything weighs more than a bolt gun somehow.
I shoot all our Bolt Rifles single action even with a mag.
Now Jill wants to shoot rapid! So load up the mag for her.

ARs are different!!!!!

I think akmtnhnt has it correct, just because your super gun will shoot little bitty 3 shot groups at 100 yds off a bench, that doesn't have anything to do with hitting in field positions. logically it would be better to buy any good factory rifle and spend that extra money a custom would cost on ammo or components and shoot from field positions but lots of people like special and beautifull rifles. once I called Douglas barrels to ask a question and they put me through to Fred in the shop I asked him if it was necessary to spend the extra money on his barrels to have the xx and have them airgauged ,I really liked his reply which was, "some poeple don't think they are getting a good product unless they spend more money on it so if thats the way you think spend the extra on xx premium and airgauging" I shot douglas barrels for a long time when Kreiger was the fashion statement and they always were very good. I bought a remington rifle a year ago to raid the action and whoever made this one did a very nice job even surface ground the face where the barrel pushes against

I shoot all our Bolt Rifles single action even with a mag.
Now Jill wants to shoot rapid! So load up the mag for her.

ARs are different!!!!!
What I want from a single action is the greatly reduced overall length of the rifle like you get from an encore or ruger #1. But, better than 3-4MOA like a lot of those are known for. And POI shifts if you touch the fore stock.

I think akmtnhnt has it correct, just because your super gun will shoot little bitty 3 shot groups at 100 yds off a bench, that doesn't have anything to do with hitting in field positions. logically it would be better to buy any good factory rifle and spend that extra money a custom would cost on ammo or components and shoot from field positions but lots of people like special and beautifull rifles. once I called Douglas barrels to ask a question and they put me through to Fred in the shop I asked him if it was necessary to spend the extra money on his barrels to have the xx and have them airgauged ,I really liked his reply which was, "some poeple don't think they are getting a good product unless they spend more money on it so if thats the way you think spend the extra on xx premium and airgauging" I shot douglas barrels for a long time when Kreiger was the fashion statement and they always were very good. I bought a remington rifle a year ago to raid the action and whoever made this one did a very nice job even surface ground the face where the barrel pushes against
Or go take one of the field shooting classes out there. Money spent on that will do so much more for your hunting than a custom gun ever could.

Doing some evening thinking...from an accuracy standpoint, are custom actions worth the cost?

Let's say you take a known top brand barrel chambered correctly, and spin it onto a Savage action. It then shoots 1/2 moa. Now take that same barrel and spin it onto a Bighorn Origin, will it shoot better or worse for twice the price? Then take it off the Bighorn and spin it onto an ARC Nucleus, will it then shoot better than the Bighorn?

I know there are other reasons for using a custom action, but strictly from an accuracy standpoint, do they actually make a difference? Can you take a 1 moa barrel on a Rem 700 and stick it on a Defiance and it'll become a 1/2 moa rifle? Most likely not...
Here is a Podcast I would recommend you to listen to before deciding what you want to do. Episode 169 - Building your custom rifle part I, the action.

So you bought a whole rifle to get an action? How much that cost?