Custom actions, are they worth it?

adam32+P

Doing some evening thinking...from an accuracy standpoint, are custom actions worth the cost?

Let's say you take a known top brand barrel chambered correctly, and spin it onto a Savage action. It then shoots 1/2 moa. Now take that same barrel and spin it onto a Bighorn Origin, will it shoot better or worse for twice the price? Then take it off the Bighorn and spin it onto an ARC Nucleus, will it then shoot better than the Bighorn?

I know there are other reasons for using a custom action, but strictly from an accuracy standpoint, do they actually make a difference? Can you take a 1 moa barrel on a Rem 700 and stick it on a Defiance and it'll become a 1/2 moa rifle? Most likely not...

I have owned a few customs and they are nice but juice is just not worth the squeeze…speaking only for myself. I am fixing to buy all the tools to just start building off of tikka actions with pre-fits. Tikka actions are smooth enough for me and the best thing is, you throw a aftermarket spring in that factory tikka trigger and it's awesome.

I think there's a lot more to it.I had Weatherby vanguard to start.Then a mark v.I ended up getting a brand new Remington as a job perk and it wouldn't feed and eject right, was going to have to send back and have fixed, took it to local smith on my dime.That [email protected] could be happy with some, but I mainly hunt one rifle so I want custom I also hung out with some guys that where 1000 Penn rules bench.Once you see the toys...

Last edited:
I don't see the point for a hunting rig if you can get lesser actions to shoot to your expectations from a cost/value standpoint. But 2 years behind uncle Sam sponsored s&b changed my whole outlook on glass. So ya I get why guys will say custom or nothing, there's also guys who will only drive to work in a 6 figure car. Just do you, won't make bigger deer walk over the ridge. I think it's like sheep rifles. For an extra $1200 you can drop 7 ounces. Is 7 ounces worth $1200?

I don't see the point for a hunting rig if you can get lesser actions to shoot to your expectations from a cost/value standpoint. But 2 years behind uncle Sam sponsored s&b changed my whole outlook on glass. So ya I get why guys will say custom or nothing, there's also guys who will only drive to work in a 6 figure car. Just do you, won't make bigger deer walk over the ridge. I think it's like sheep rifles. For an extra $1200 you can drop 7 ounces. Is 7 ounces worth $1200?
I would guess that it depends how far from camp you are.

This nails it. And yes 7 ounces is worth it. Lol

Or is it the shear fun I have just playing with the build process? Oh hell I'm not sure but I know it's all worth it to me. But had never bagged me the bigger animal. But only spend a few weeks a year hunting. I spend most of it excited for my new build.

OP asks …"are they worth it ?"
That depends on what the buyer believes he's purchasing dependent on the individual's experience and knowledge.

Some believe they're buying elite quality or superior accuracy…and a sense of pride specifying features in their gun that they have chosen with their expertise…I'm guessing worth it to them.

Having been around the block several times…with no need for elitist bragging rights…there is nothing my custom guns or expensive Coopers can do that my Savages can not…