Custom actions, are they worth it?

For the most part I do not use the value proposition on rifles. There are things in life that can't be justified on a pure performance for $$$ spent basis. You work hard and sometimes desire to have the best you can afford. There is pride in ownership involved as well as the admiration of workmanship in a custom action. My old beat up Savage 110 did its job, but so did my 1966 VW bug.

Yes it's worth it hands down. Most custom actions have better fit, finish and smother operation. But you need a barrel that's been chambered by a smith or prefit to make it come together. Brass last longer and all my customs shoot under 1/2".

I've never seen a barrel that didnt need gunsmithing at some point.

Ok…now that I have read through this thread. I have to admit that I Havnt had a factory rifle in YEARS. I have two rifles built (BUILT) off of tikka actions and I love them. I'm gonna buy the tools and use prefits for them when I want to change it but I will say that when I do stuff like this it usually ends in complete failure haha. And then……..I'll send them to a gunsmith lol.

It's All About The Money.
Is a Custom worth the Extra Money?
By God It Better Be.
Taking a barrel and moving it from action to action? I believe if a qualified gunsmith sets it up, yes your fine.
If all of us have deep pockets, all of us would have Custom Actions..👍🎅

Ok…now that I have read through this thread. I have to admit that I Havnt had a factory rifle in YEARS. I have two rifles built (BUILT) off of tikka actions and I love them. I'm gonna buy the tools and use prefits for them when I want to change it but I will say that when I do stuff like this it usually ends in complete failure haha. And then……..I'll send them to a gunsmith lol.
Ive had 5 this year brought too me. I can tell you i would never buy a prefit if accuracy is what i wanted. 450$ to chamber and thread from most smiths. Your not saving much but you typically are getting much better quality

Yes buy a custom action that accepts shouldered prefits and have fun. The Bighorn Origin/TL3 also offers the ability to easily swap bolt heads so you can have multiple cartridges in one action. I have used factory rifles, have sent factory rifles to smiths to get rebarreled, have had smiths barrel custom actions and now have a couple Bighorn Tl3s and get prefits for them from Patriot Valley Arms and this is the way I will stay from now on. No reason to ship the rifle out to get rebarreled any longer.

Smooth feeding, reliable, and properly put together very accurate. I'm left handed, factory rifles in calibers I like have been rare the last few years. A custom action allows me to build whatever I want, and I'm not saying I can put it together, but when the right guy does it is amazing. Tweaking a factory rifle definitely helps, bedding, properly torquing action screws, making sure you have a great trigger, properly torqued and positioned optics are all part of the equation. Personally I would rather have three customs verses six factory, or six to twelve, or twelve to twenty-four, or . . .

I think a lot of you are missing the question...if you're building a rifle with a custom action then you'll have a custom barrel also, so it better shoot well!!

But, if you take a "not the best" barrel and spin it onto the "best" custom action, will you see an accuracy improvement?

Again, this is strictly about accuracy, not about looks or special features that don't mean squat for accuracy.

My point is...I believe your money goes further towards a good barrel and a good chamber rather than the "newest and greatest" action when chasing accuracy.

Yes, custom actions are worth it, especially if you are considering apples to apples and the money spent on gunsmithing to improve factory actions. Also, if you want the features most customs have over factory options

For me, it was a journey. Working your way up from factory rifles and configurations to learn that it it was better (for me) to save up and get the custom pieces. Barrels are where I tell people to spend the money first.

I think a lot of you are missing the question...if you're building a rifle with a custom action then you'll have a custom barrel also, so it better shoot well!!

But, if you take a "not the best" barrel and spin it onto the "best" custom action, will you see an accuracy improvement?

Again, this is strictly about accuracy, not about looks or special features that don't mean squat for accuracy.

My point is...I believe your money goes further towards a good barrel and a good chamber rather than the "newest and greatest" action when chasing accuracy.

Why would you screw a crappy barrel on any rifle? Money is going no where in that case.

Your money goes further when you buy good parts. Seems like you are trying to talk yourself into something as I have seen questions worded like that for many years on forums. With the more affordable custom actions like the Bighorn Origin at $900 and offering the other "special features" they do there is no reason to buy a factory action and getting it worked on. That said if you have the factory action and looking to save some money then you can build off of it.

No confusion here.

Over the years, I have had a lot of barrels put on actions, both custom and std factory, trued and non-trued Rem 700, 40x, Savages, A bolts, and Howa's.

I learned a very important lesson relating to accuracy that is rarely if ever spoken of. The gunsmith that indicates the barrel into the .0001 is going to produce an incredibly accurate barrel. The gunsmith you choose should bore scope the barrel before chambering, and the very best gunsmiths should gauge the barrel in inside dia uniformity from end to end as loose and tight spots in the barrel make for some bad harmonics. The aforementioned is where the rubber meets the road. You can throw money at a barrel, action, or scope, but if the job of chambering is not done correctly and thoroughly, 1/2"-5/8" accuracy may be the best you can hope for with a lot of work.

I am not a gunsmith, but have had some world-class gunsmiths as best friends over the years.

Building a rifle is different for many, I want the extremes in accuracy first and foremost, but many want the looks and what is most popular at the time, it is a hobby, make it fun for you.

At one time, all I would own was custom actions. A best friend and hunting partner passed away in a gunshop picking up his Shilen Barrel'd Parker Hale in 6 Rem. I had given him the barrel as a Christmas present. He had a Ruger 77 Tang safety with a Shilen barrel on it in 6 Rem also. Those two guns sat around for years in my gun safe, and I finally put a Leupold 36x on the Parker Hale with it's new Shilen barrel with a zero freebore chamber. First trip to the range with 62g Watson bullets/Win 760 at 4000 fps, I was shooting groups in the 2's. My benchrest shooting buddies could not believe the Mauser shooting to that degree of accuracy, even after showing them the targets.

Next, I pulled out the Ruger with its Newish Shilen 6 Rem barrel on it with its zero freebore chambers. The 80g Sierra at 3500 fps was shooting groups in the high 2's with little effort, over the max book charge of IMR 4064.

This was a very humbling experience for me to see these Junker rifles shoot so well. To further test my flawed thinking that it took a custom action to shoot extremely well, I bought a Savage and put a Hart barrel on it, it too shot tiny groups.

Well, the old saying, "First Comes Pride, then the Fall" certainly applied to me at that moment as the Piece of crap Savage which seemed like a contraption of an action, which just shot tiny group after tiny group.

So, the pride of ownership is a huge factor in building a rifle, perhaps the envy of some.

The Men that chambered these rifles were master machinists, and we spoke of bore dia, bore uniformity, with a slight choke of .0001-.0002 highly cherished when we could get a barrel like that, if there was a sweep in the barrel where the bullet entered the bore, how straight or off center the bore was in the barrel, and if there was a sweep in the bore where the bullet exited the barrel. Don't expect these master machinists to work for cheap, but it is the best money you could spend. It is also humbling to find some of the custom barrels that are very rough in the bore, and it is a real ****er to find that the level of roughness is now acceptable due to how high the demand is, and then find that customer service after the sale is horrible. That gunsmith by finding the problem(s) has just saved you hundreds of dollars.

So, hunt for those great machinists, and be grateful for them when you find them, then pick any action you like. My favorite custom actions are made by Jim Borden. Mr. Borden has incredible integrity and his integrity has been well established over the years.

Last edited:
Why would you screw a crappy barrel on any rifle? Money is going no where in that case.

Your money goes further when you buy good parts. Seems like you are trying to talk yourself into something as I have seen questions worded like that for many years on forums. With the more affordable custom actions like the Bighorn Origin at $900 and offering the other "special features" they do there is no reason to buy a factory action and getting it worked on. That said if you have the factory action and looking to save some money then you can build off of it.

I'm just curious...I have no desire to actually build a rifle for myself with a factory barrel and a custom action. But it would be a good experiment to see the results.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've had and currently have multiple rifles with custom actions. But in reality I'm not sure if the action gained me anything in accuracy. Sure they are "smooth" to run, but so are Tikkas and Howas. Fluted bolts and scalloped sides are "cool" on customs but do nothing for accuracy. Integral recoil lugs are nice to swapping barrels out but regular lugs work just fine too.