Custom actions, are they worth it?

You're not wrong, but if the utmost accuracy possible is the goal then factory actions are immediately off the table.

I do agree with that, for absolute competition accuracy.

But for a hunting rifle, can you actually see the difference in accuracy between a Savage, a Bighorn and a BAT Vesper. Will the BAT cut your groups in half for twice the price of a Bighorn?

I'm just curious...I have no desire to actually build a rifle for myself with a factory barrel and a custom action. But it would be a good experiment to see the results.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've had and currently have multiple rifles with custom actions. But in reality I'm not sure if the action gained me anything in accuracy. Sure they are "smooth" to run, but so are Tikkas and Howas. Fluted bolts and scalloped sides are "cool" on customs but do nothing for accuracy. Integral recoil lugs are nice to swapping barrels out but regular lugs work just fine too.

A barrel is the heart of the rifle. If it's crap then no matter the action it's going to shoot like crap. Looks have nothing to do with accuracy so no scalloped sides and fluted bolts won't help but the way the action is machined and fits together with barrel does.

I have both, and probably won't ever buy another custom action.

When I want to build another rifle, I just buy a used Savage .338 Lapua 110 FCP or Precision. That gets me a blueprinted Savage target action, pic rail, 3.850" SSSF 5 round magazine, muzzle brake, and either an HS Precision stock or an MDT chassis - all for about $1000. Another $100 for a custom bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge, and you're all set to go except for a barrel.

My Savages built on that platform (.338 Lapua 110 FCP or Precision) shoot as well as my custom.

I know you can. Still needed a gunsmith to do it

Ive had 5 this year brought too me. I can tell you i would never buy a prefit if accuracy is what i wanted. 450$ to chamber and thread from most smiths. Your not saving much but you typically are getting much better quality

I'm not following, I've put together 6 for myself and an additional 6 for others and never needed a smith for any of it, just the barrel from the manufacturer and some tools.

I'm not shooting into the .1's all the time but they shoot well under an inch which is good enough for me. They would probably shoot better if I took time on my load work ups instead of slapping something together a couple weekends before deer season because I built another new rifle that got finished right before rifle season.

I'm not following, I've put together 6 for myself and an additional 6 for others and never needed a smith for any of it, just the barrel from the manufacturer and some tools.

I'm not shooting into the .1's all the time but they shoot well under an inch which is good enough for me. They would probably shoot better if I took time on my load work ups instead of slapping something together a couple weekends before deer season because I built another new rifle that got finished right before rifle season.
You think that chamber just magically appeared in that barrel or the threading? A gunsmith did the work on a cnc most likely but still someone did it. And they use tennon prints to do it. In my short time chambering ive seen a lot of variances in same action/model on high end actions. Ive had 5 now this year come to me to be fixed all of them pre fits for custom actions

I have many rifles including most of the major manufacturers and also several custom rifles with custom and factory actions.

With most of the modern rifles, they have more than acceptable practical hunting accuracy. So…if that is the criteria, the answer is a resounding "no".

I have a couple of super high quality hunting rifles built around Defiance actions with top of the line barrels. They are great rifles, but considering the price and performance difference, the return on investment isn't there.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree, so my answer is from a "value engineering" perspective.

With my time hanging with these few bench shooters who have multiple WR under there belts.They would tell you they may have spent considerable time, true a custom action, or various other problems with them also.It is manufactured and it can and does happen.Just as all barrels aren't perfect, they have bad runs on all things.

Ive had 5 this year brought too me. I can tell you i would never buy a prefit if accuracy is what i wanted. 450$ to chamber and thread from most smiths. Your not saving much but you typically are getting much better quality
Premium Barrel, Premium Reamer with a Premium Gunsmith can true a Win. Rem.
Tikka...etc. will build a Premium Rifle.
Custom Actions are nice but are not needed. IMO.

You think that chamber just magically appeared in that barrel or the threading? A gunsmith did the work on a cnc most likely but still someone did it. And they use tennon prints to do it. In my short time chambering ive seen a lot of variances in same action/model on high end actions. Ive had 5 now this year come to me to be fixed all of them pre fits for custom actions

Gotcha so it's more a terminology difference as I consider any threading or chambering being done by the barrel manufacturer to be part of the barrel making process.

That is opposed to buying a barrel blank and sending it to a third party to do the threading and chambering work which is what I consider as having a gunsmith do the work.

For me personally I'm using savage prefits with the Barloc and am setting the headspace myself so I can correct for any variation unlike a shouldered Prefit.