Custom actions, are they worth it?

I click on the link but it doesn't open up. It says it cannot be found. Is there a main website you go to and then select the podcasts?

The podcast main page

You think that chamber just magically appeared in that barrel or the threading? A gunsmith did the work on a cnc most likely but still someone did it. And they use tennon prints to do it. In my short time chambering ive seen a lot of variances in same action/model on high end actions. Ive had 5 now this year come to me to be fixed all of them pre fits for custom actions
Because someone operated a CNC and read a blueprint doesn't make them a gunsmith it makes them a machinist.

I don't see the point for a hunting rig if you can get lesser actions to shoot to your expectations from a cost/value standpoint. But 2 years behind uncle Sam sponsored s&b changed my whole outlook on glass. So ya I get why guys will say custom or nothing, there's also guys who will only drive to work in a 6 figure car. Just do you, won't make bigger deer walk over the ridge. I think it's like sheep rifles. For an extra $1200 you can drop 7 ounces. Is 7 ounces worth $1200?
I guess it depends on how far your walking and on what angle.

In short from my experience I say no .
But man the Sure look Cool !

I have had a few Custom actions and a pile of factory Remington actions.

Side by side I always grabbed the Remington. When you can get 3 rounds in the same hole at 100 and then shoot a 3 shot group of 26 3/4" at 3027 yards ..
What else can you say .

Ok the customs are more money , definitely sweet looking , more features and buttery smooth bolt . But do they get the job done any better ??
I will say yes they make all your extra Money disappear, it's like Magic ...poof the green is gone !! Lol

I went down the path , less is more for awhile . Yes I did have 6 338's at one time. Only one Custom action , Lawton 7000 and I still have it .

I guess it depends on how we feel about the rifle when its built /done .

I have seen that sign lots of times ...Dont you drive a Ugly Truck ! Ha ha

My favorite Mud truck I had was drop dead Ugly ..but that truck kicked Butt ! Lol
Just my 2 cents on Christmas day !

Rum Man

I only use custom now for one reason, my expectations are higher than most and I strive for benchrest precision out of all my rifles. Can you kill game with less, absolutely, it's done hundred of thousands of times each and every year. Is 1/2 moa good enough for me, no it's not but then again I am not the person that ever settles for "good enough" or "good for the cost".

I only use custom now for one reason, my expectations are higher than most and I strive for benchrest precision out of all my rifles. Can you kill game with less, absolutely, it's done hundred of thousands of times each and every year. Is 1/2 moa good enough for me, no it's not but then again I am not the person that ever settles for "good enough" or "good for the cost".
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

In short from my experience I say no .
But man the Sure look Cool !

I have had a few Custom actions and a pile of factory Remington actions.

Side by side I always grabbed the Remington. When you can get 3 rounds in the same hole at 100 and then shoot a 3 shot group of 26 3/4" at 3027 yards ..
What else can you say .

Ok the customs are more money , definitely sweet looking , more features and buttery smooth bolt . But do they get the job done any better ??
I will say yes they make all your extra Money disappear, it's like Magic ...poof the green is gone !! Lol

I went down the path , less is more for awhile . Yes I did have 6 338's at one time. Only one Custom action , Lawton 7000 and I still have it .

I guess it depends on how we feel about the rifle when its built /done .

I have seen that sign lots of times ...Dont you drive a Ugly Truck ! Ha ha

My favorite Mud truck I had was drop dead Ugly ..but that truck kicked Butt ! Lol
Just my 2 cents on Christmas day !

Rum Man
Rum man id be curious too see how your factory actions are holding up too the rums. You ever measure the action and see any set back on the lugs?

The easiest way to answer the question is to go to a competition that is judged purely on accuracy and see how many factory actions are on the podium.
I never gone to a match shoot. I do wonder how many or what type of action being used. I have shot a lot of different rifles over the years. Reloaded for almost 62 years. I never found to many that I couldn't get to shoot at 1/2" or smaller groups @ 100yds. That was using Mauser or Rem Win, action. The one thing is I use lighter trigger pulls in all my rifles. That to me help in getting tighter groups. To me it creates less pressure on the hold of the rifle, allowing the rifle to shoot and not you influencing the rifle which pull the rifle off.

The easiest way to answer the OP thread would be to take a savage or a few. Find a good load for it/them. Put gun in a vice to hold it without human contact. Use a syringe to fire the trigger in an indoor controlled climate range. I believe Zermatt actions have the same threads as savage. So remove the barrels install them on the Zermatt. And shoot the same load, in the same controlled climate range, in the same vice using the same syringe. And see what the results are. Using multiple guns would give better results

Rum man id be curious too see how your factory actions are holding up too the rums. You ever measure the action and see any set back on the lugs?
No I havent ..but I dont set there and push a hundred rounds through it at the bench either !
I wish I would have checked the 6.5 creedmore Race gun before I did the Match last fall ..I put 350 rounds through it getting ready and the match ! Would be interesting to see how the chamber faired through all of that .

Rum Man

Recent Posts