Custom actions, are they worth it?

However, when the weather breaks, I think I will videotape shooting 10 three shot groups and see what my average isis.
Thank you for this. My next comment is not directed at you so please do not take it as such.

This is something that drives me nuts, being a long range hunting forum talking about hunting rifles yet not one mention of actual average dispersion.

To me knowing the statistically stable average dispersion size to be expected from you and your rifle is the most useful and relevant information a competent and ethical hunter can have. Cherry picking a .1 group to brag about does nothing but give false confidence while taking a shot at game.

Idk i shoot a lot so maybe im biass but i can shoot 150-200 rounds out of my lapua ai, 33xc and 37xc combined in a day just fine. All 3 hunting guns. 37xc is heaviest at 14.5lbs. good brake does wonders
I need to hit the gym, I'm done after 150 260ai and about 50 338am. But I think it's more from setting targets, getting on the guns, getting back up, going to paint targets, shooting some more, moving targets, etc. I'll usually have 6-12 targets out and that am knocks t-post loose, plus it gets boring shooting all the same distances.

For my dollar I'll buy a Tikka wholesale for $650 through an FFL take the barrel off put on an XCaliber prefit for $450 a trigger spring for $20 and a 20 oz stock from Pure Precision for $600. End game you pretty much have a custom rifle for less than 2 grand

My point was you were $600 high on the action price. Also you say you are having a couple rifles built. What actions? If a custom that can take shouldered prefits then you could use the same stock, trigger, rings and scope on them if it was a custom action and just swap barrels. Saves you way more than $600.
Two of them in Rem 700 action older moldels, The other is Howa 1500 in a 338WM with a 28 mid barrel. The first two are Barlein 400 med. Heavy. One in 30" and the other is a 26" length. Springs have been changed in the 700, and trigger to Triggertech. One in a 6mm/280AI and the other is being a 25/280AI. I generally used Mauser Action over the years.

I guess this is also where definitions are different.

When I say a rifle is 1 MOA, to me that means it's always 1MOA or better. If we're averaging groups then that's a completely different ballgame

A .1MOA group and a 1.9MOA group would average to 1MOA and that's not right.

As I stated earlier in this thread, 30 shots on one peice of paper or cardboard with multiple bullseye so each shot is visible. Chery picked groups don't count.
Since the thread is already de-railed, let me ask a question. While I agree with you something like 30 shots to determine accuracy of a rifle is good, what are you basing this off of ? What's wrong with 10 shots or why not 100?

I've seen statistical significance mentioned multiple times, not just in this thread but others. Curious what everyone's definition of statistical significance is and how it's being calculated.

Because shooting 30 rounds at 100 yards is stupid boring. Why do it? Here's a 30 round challenge for you. Come to my range in Bend Oregon with your most accurate gun. Shoot two shots at at 15 different 1 MOA targets all at different ranges and azimuth … how many impacts out of 30 will you get?
For hunting purposes. This is what matters. I'm not even sure I'd care about the second shot. 15 targets, 1 shot on each at various ranges.
How many hits? It's irrelevant if a rifle can do .5MOA groups. Can you, with that rifle, on any random day put a cold bore hit on a 1 MOA target at X range?

Wow triggered lol. I haven't been to COSSA for a decade but it's a nice place to shoot. I shot a ton out of China Hat at various ranges tagging chucks. As far as 30 rounds to check dispersion I kinda do that. Shoot a group and then go range varmint or targets at various ranges, angles, or different weather conditions and make first round hit. That's my test. A 100 yard group tells you how good your load is. Testing out to distance tells you how good your load and you are. My test isn't just a 30 round test, it's a constant test.

Thank you for this. My next comment is not directed at you so please do not take it as such.

This is something that drives me nuts, being a long range hunting forum talking about hunting rifles yet not one mention of actual average dispersion.

To me knowing the statistically stable average dispersion size to be expected from you and your rifle is the most useful and relevant information a competent and ethical hunter can have. Cherry picking a .1 group to brag about does nothing but give false confidence while taking a shot at game.
It absolutely doesn't give you false confidence when you go practice at long ranges and everything comes together just fine. Why do you think every one is so called "Cherry picking". So if I shoot a .25 group and then Shoot a .35-.50 group next who cares. Nobody here is shooting benchrest 100 yard groups. I go to the range after load is done and shoot to practice I check zero at 100 and if I'm under 1/2" groups I'm satisfied my rig is still dialed in. I then confirm MV still as accurate and I start shooting at distance. When I'm hitting my targets at 500-800 meters in the kill zone on EVERY shot I don't go through the brain damage of all the statistical items you mention. I know my rifles and what they're capable of and what I can control. Reading the wind and setting up a shot to me take precedence over whether my rifle is shooting .1 or .3. Again, though. To each their own and this thread is now COMPLETELY DERAILED from the original topic.

Yes, A "custom action" is worth it.

You won't be disappointed in doing that. I've done 3 tikka's with X-Caliber prefits.
So I have a question.
My son has a Tikka T3X in 6.5 creed.
Can he put a prefit on it or is there certain serial number Tikkas that only work?
I've done several Rem 700's for myself so I could actually do it myself.
I guess what I'm asking are the Tikka actions that precise that they will interchange amongst themselves with zero issues with head spacing?

Recent Posts