Custom actions, are they worth it?

Also, 30 rounds is putting the shooter heavily into the equation while we are discussing gained precision of a custom receiver. So rifle being capable is a totally different discussion than shooter being capable to hold it together over 30 rounds fired in a single sitting.

Sorry, I missed all your stipulations it takes to prove a gun is a .1, .2 or .3. I'm an ok shooter but you are asking for the shooters godly skill, not the rifles potential.
And in many cases, maybe most, the rifle can outshoot the shooter

And in many cases, maybe most, the rifle can outshoot the shooter
I hear this said many times. The Rifle can shoot better than me or the shooter is the weak link in the chain.
My take on this is of course. Anytime you add a human behind the gun that is what's causing mistakes to happen.
I guess what I'm saying is if you take a rifle, put it in a solid platform absolutely unable to move and you shoot 3 to 5 shot groups. It should shoot better than a person behind it. I'm not aware of anytime that you mount something solid and it shoots, worse than if a person got behind it and shot it.
when I shot bull's-eye at 50 yards with a 38 wadcutter, I had a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete and a firm solid mount to hold the pistol and that is how I decided which ammo and which load was the best because it introduced no human component.
But I am interested in articles or books that discuss this and can actually show a human shoots better than if the gun was in a platform.

If you lock a gun down where it cant move itll shoot worse. Gun needs to move smoothly same every time. Ive seen stocks shatter in a lead sled
Yes, I agree. I have heard that and spoke to someone at a gun store that couldn't figure out why his stock split at the tang and then through the discussion it was revealed he was using the fully weighted lead sled.
But let's just say for discussion, and I'm generally curious, if it would not break the stock or any other part of the rifle… Would the rifle shoot worse bolted into a platform that would not move compared to a person who was holding it?

Erik noted that in F-class, if he could hold an 1 MOA average over the year at every match - that would win a large percentage of the events.

Considering there have only been 11 cleans TOTAL (thats a score of 600-xx for 60 shots at 1000yrds) EVER. Tim Vaught, Doug Skogman and Norm Harrold are the only three that ever done it more than once. So yeah holding 1moa for 60 rounds at 1000yrds is kinda tough and probably a winner everytime. I can assure everyone no factory actions were used. 😅

I gladly accepted his offer and added my kids kids sporting events are about my only obligations to get in the way of scheduling. I have not "added" anything or moved the "goal post".
So I do apologize I missed the attached post where you stated 30 rounds. In my initial offer to you, I did ref your previous statement about .3 inch groups being BS.
Also, I am aware that you did not say you wanted to bring the kids.

The way I determine if my gun shoots to the size group I say it does… Especially in a hunting rifle… At 100 yards I shoot 5, three shot groups and I take the average. I don't consider that cherry picking because I'm not choosing just one or two groups that were the best but I'm averaging them out

However, when the weather breaks, I think I will videotape shooting 10 three shot groups and see what my average is.

Worse bolted down i would think. I know they shoot worse in a lead sled
Yeah I've never tried it. I always thought that was kind of a gimmick something else to sell somebody. However, if you have to sight in a 416 Rigby Godzilla magnum, then yeah, maybe that might be beneficial

I call it a .3 or .2 whatever it is. When it repeats it. 5 shot groups today at 60 tomorrow at 70. Not just 100 i wanna see it match at 600-800 range. Barrels will walk shooting 30 times no matter what. Carbons even worse. Why bench guys have straight contours. They still walk heated up.

Doing some evening thinking...from an accuracy standpoint, are custom actions worth the cost?

Let's say you take a known top brand barrel chambered correctly, and spin it onto a Savage action. It then shoots 1/2 moa. Now take that same barrel and spin it onto a Bighorn Origin, will it shoot better or worse for twice the price? Then take it off the Bighorn and spin it onto an ARC Nucleus, will it then shoot better than the Bighorn?

I know there are other reasons for using a custom action, but strictly from an accuracy standpoint, do they actually make a difference? Can you take a 1 moa barrel on a Rem 700 and stick it on a Defiance and it'll become a 1/2 moa rifle? Most likely not...
I think for those that want the highest potential to make a custom accurate rifle it is worth it. The fit and finish, overall function, and close tolerances will be a focus of pride and joy for the owner. From that stand point I'd say it's worth it. At one time it was something I could afford, those times are gone. Now I have to be content with a factory rifle and maybe a stock acquired on the cheap. Sometimes you have to be happy with what you have. My Remarms 700 7mm RM this weekend with 180 gr ELDM handloads. 550 yards,.... I can't complain.
1703781607918.jpeg

I have owned a few customs and they are nice but juice is just not worth the squeeze…speaking only for myself. I am fixing to buy all the tools to just start building off of tikka actions with pre-fits. Tikka actions are smooth enough for me and the best thing is, you throw a aftermarket spring in that factory tikka trigger and it's awesome.
You won't be disappointed in doing that. I've done 3 tikka's with X-Caliber prefits.