Custom actions, are they worth it?

It absolutely doesn't give you false confidence when you go practice at long ranges and everything comes together just fine. Why do you think every one is so called "Cherry picking". So if I shoot a .25 group and then Shoot a .35-.50 group next who cares. Nobody here is shooting benchrest 100 yard groups. I go to the range after load is done and shoot to practice I check zero at 100 and if I'm under 1/2" groups I'm satisfied my rig is still dialed in. I then confirm MV still as accurate and I start shooting at distance. When I'm hitting my targets at 500-800 meters in the kill zone on EVERY shot I don't go through the brain damage of all the statistical items you mention. I know my rifles and what they're capable of and what I can control. Reading the wind and setting up a shot to me take precedence over whether my rifle is shooting .1 or .3. Again, though. To each their own and this thread is now COMPLETELY DERAILED from the original topic.

Yes, A "custom action" is worth it.
Exactly! I do not like to complicate things unnecessarily; that's why I responded as such ...

1703793473315.png

So I have a question.
My son has a Tikka T3X in 6.5 creed.
Can he put a prefit on it or is there certain serial number Tikkas that only work?
I've done several Rem 700's for myself so I could actually do it myself.
I guess what I'm asking are the Tikka actions that precise that they will interchange amongst themselves with zero issues with head spacing?
From my understanding yes you can put a pre-fit on a a tikka. Tikkas only come in one length, but bolt stops need to get changed for different lengths and bolts if going to a different shell head size. Preferred barrels might be a place to start

Since the thread is already de-railed, let me ask a question. While I agree with you something like 30 shots to determine accuracy of a rifle is good, what are you basing this off of ? What's wrong with 10 shots or why not 100?

I've seen statistical significance mentioned multiple times, not just in this thread but others. Curious what everyone's definition of statistical significance is and how it's being calculated.
Bryan litz and jayden Quinlan have gone through this in podcasts if you want a better understanding.

I am pulling these numbers out of my memory if you want accurate info you will have to learn from people smarter than me.

With a 3rnd group there is 70% expected variability in group size from actual stable dispersion size.
10rnd group 35% variability
20rnd. 25%
30rnd. 15%
50rnd. 5%

If you really want to grind your gears on something buy or find someone that has ab wez hit rate calculator. I am willing to bet most guys on this forum would say to themselves "I spent how much time and money on rifles chasing group size to only increase my hit rate a very small percentage".

With a 3rnd group there is 70% expected variability in group size from actual stable dispersion size.
20rnd. 25%
30rnd. 15%
50rnd. 5%

I try to get the rifle to go from Patterns to groups, then all shots touching, and finally to bullets laying on top of each other. I shoot three-shot groups because those 4th and 5th shots get the barrel super hot. Some of the factory barrels do not do well with a lot of copper in the barrel. Super hot barrels can walk, not to mention shooter fatigue on hard kickers.

Next is to cool the barrel and shoot three, three-shot groups in a row of what I think is a tuned load. This has to be followed up by several more trips to the range, different days, different wind conditions, and different temps to see if the "tune" holds, paying careful attention to the first cold bore shot.

There is a lot more to the system, but this is the simplified version that has stood the test of time for decades for me, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. I think that you just have to have a system that gives you repetitive results and most of all, confidence in your ability. If you can test your "tuned" load at 500 yards, it is going to give you incredible confidence in being verified or send you back to the drawing board trying to figure out why that super accurate load fell apart.

Last edited:
I hope to start posting pictures this year. Guns, loads, and groups. Lots of guys are going to be banging their heads on the wall at the money wasted.

I do like wasting money on custom actions, Brux, and Krieger barrels, but realize that the vast majority can not spend this kind of money.
Learn to make the most of what you have with the disposable income you have, advanced reloading techniques, bench techniques, and some wind reading skill, and learn to keep your barrel clean(Teslong bore scope).
Maybe a custom action is the way to go. Never given much thought about it. Life is short and minds even shorter being 75 and almost 76. To me is the setting up the action is truing it, Triggers, bedding, springs, lug, Stocks that fit you, personally. I get long action too, not short actions. I have just starting to having wildcats built for me.
In the middle of things, started to move my home that my family had been there about 120yrs.
Took down my reload table and equipment and moved them to Montana. Figuring on using my son place to reload at inside and area that was closed off. His wife figure out she wanted to move in and set and office. So that shut that down. Plenty of land at his places, So I design a shed that can be transported if need be. The building is about completed or will be dried in before I leave. So after a couple of months I'll get back, and finish the insides I'll be able to start reloading again finely.

Mike, we took one of these "portable" buildings, made reloading benches on each side, then put windows in the front to shoot out of with 1.5" plywood tops, 1.5" floor, added incredible insulation, heat, and AC. We shoot in all kinds of weather.

My non-trued 700s are in good stocks, and good glass shoots are incredible. When groups get 1/2", I am looking for the load to have lost its tune, throat wear, etc. I do have customs in 6 PPC, 6 BR, and a flock of BR variants with multiple barrels per action to compare. Replacement of the firing pin/spring and custom recoil lug is as far as I will go.

Alignment with the bore Axis/throat is where much of the accuracy starts and ends, and we proved this on a variety of different kinds of actions that were never trued.

If you have disposable income, buy a custom action for the joy and pride of ownership. I like the custom actions that have proven to be tried and true and whose owners have a well-known reputation for honesty and integrity, Borden, Stolle, and Bat are my personal favorites.

Guys that can reload at the rifle range, out of the camper shell on their truck, pull behind trailer, separate table etc, tune their barrels' accuracy to an incredible level....I cannot stress this enough. Many men never think of reloading at the rifle range, it is a very different mindset, and those who think outside the box on this issue, see HUGE dividends on the first trip to the range!

Bryan litz and jayden Quinlan have gone through this in podcasts if you want a better understanding.

I am pulling these numbers out of my memory if you want accurate info you will have to learn from people smarter than me.

20rnd. 25%
30rnd. 15%
50rnd. 5%

If you really want to grind your gears on something buy or find someone that has ab wez hit rate calculator. I am willing to bet most guys on this forum would say to themselves "I spent how much time and money on rifles chasing group size to only increase my hit rate a very small percentage".
Totally get it! I was just curious what your or others feeling was of statistical significance. I'm a data analyst by profession, so I look at AB testing and statistical significance a little different than others.

It always amazes me the small groups that are posted out of hunting weight rifles and seeing what competitive shooters are shooting on a regular basis. I should probably start a separate thread talking about statistics and analytics.

Totally get it! I was just curious what your or others feeling was of statistical significance. I'm a data analyst by profession, so I look at AB testing and statistical significance a little different than others.

It always amazes me the small groups that are posted out of hunting weight rifles and seeing what competitive shooters are shooting on a regular basis. I should probably start a separate thread talking about statistics and analytics.
Jeff siewart has a bunch of info available free on bulletology.com, or his book Ammunition demystified if you really want a deep dive.

Doing some evening thinking...from an accuracy standpoint, are custom actions worth the cost?

Let's say you take a known top brand barrel chambered correctly, and spin it onto a Savage action. It then shoots 1/2 moa. Now take that same barrel and spin it onto a Bighorn Origin, will it shoot better or worse for twice the price? Then take it off the Bighorn and spin it onto an ARC Nucleus, will it then shoot better than the Bighorn?

I know there are other reasons for using a custom action, but strictly from an accuracy standpoint, do they actually make a difference? Can you take a 1 moa barrel on a Rem 700 and stick it on a Defiance and it'll become a 1/2 moa rifle? Most likely not...
It's kinda like putting lipstick on a pig! You still got a pig!! I've transitioned to all but a couple custom actions and will never look back. Might not shoot any better at all but worth it to me. Especially if you have a next generation to inherit them.