Custom 6.5x55 Mauser Build...Need some advice

KRob

Everyone, all of my rifles have been off the shelf....well everyone one of my hunting rifles.

My plan is to piece together a light medium game hunting rifle in 6.5x55 on a Mauser action. I have a Mauser 98 action and a few other bits and pieces. The next major step is the barrel, which is my first question.

Barrel
requirements: Light weight, light on the pocket book, reasonably accurate.

Questions:
1. Where to get a Barrel?....i have found some on Midway and one on Brownells, however there has to be more options.
2. Twist Rate, i am not certain what bullet weight i want to be shooting and i am looking for suggestions. Rifle will be primarily for Deer (Mule Deer mainly) however the rifle could get used for elk or varmints

Thanks
Rob

The 98 Mauser is a great action and you can load a 6.5X55 up to it's real max in that action. Be aware that any of the pre-chambered screw on barrels are short chambered and you will have to finish cutting the chamber after the barrel is screwed on. This involves getting a proper reamer and head space gauges and some know how to do this or having a smith do it for you. If you can get a 1 in 8 twist barrel get it. It will shoot any 6.5 bullet made. Most 140 gr and under bullets will work in a 9 twist. I have a number of 96 action Mauser 6.5X55 rifles and one is a sportier that I made from a Bubbaed up 96 Mauser I got cheap. For deer size game 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip or Sierra bullets really work well with 46 grs AA 4350. If I was going after elk I would go with a 140 Nosler partition or Accubond with 44 grs AA 4350. For Varmints the 100 gr Sierra HP is a RED MISTER. That thing really comes apart on impact and is accurate. I have never used any of the Midway barrels etc. All my after market barrels have been Shilen or Heart. Never had a bad one with either.

I have new Rough & Finish reamers by Clymer and Go/No-Go gage if you find that you need them that I would sell.

Also have an 8 twist Bartlein barrel but it is a heavier contour than you appear to want.

PM me if your interested.

Are you going to smith this yourself? If not, that bartlein barrel is about as good as it gets if the price meets your pocketbook.

Bullet weights... heh :) 123 Hornady, 129, hornady, 130 berger, 140 several...

Barrel length and weight... For handi-hunting I would actually go with a 20" barrel, yes you will lose a little bit of velocity but not too much really. A #3 or #4 would certainly get it done.

Thanks for all the responses. In my spare time i have been reading all the threads i can that have come up in my searches....lots of information.

I will be doing my own smithing, friend of mine knows what he is doing and is going to educate me. I already have a finishing reamer and go-no go gauges, but thank you Aldon, i am going to send you a message though about your barrel.

Midway has Shileans, and Green Mountain barrels. Most of the reviews were pretty good about the Green Mountain barrels and they were just under a hundred. I am betting though that is considered a cheap, nasty barrel by most of you though.

Bullet weight, After doing some more reading it doesn't seem like the bullet weight in this cartridge is really going to matter. Any of the weights will hit a Deer and drop it....correct me if i am wrong.

How light of a bullet can a 1-8 shoot or a 1-9. I am thinking for plinking varmints?

Any Barrel manufactures that i should look at?

Diriel--You are right i was thinking about a shorter barrel so that it is easier to handle, in all situations, however i will probably end up with something more like 22-24 in.

Always open to suggestions from anyone....never done this before so i'm always listening.

Thanks
Rob

The 8 twist will toss the Sierra 107 SMK's downrange with Varget pretty well. They even do a decent job on most varmints. Now, they do not usually do the Red Mist... :) As for a 22-24, mine happens to be 26. I have recently vowed my next hunting build will be a REASONABLE weight and *HANDI* :) Year by year I find it less fun carrying a 16 lb. rig around... It would be nice to have something closer to 8 or 9 lbs. instead!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.