Crispy fried venison, spicy/“Asian” style

Calvin45

Thought I'd share my crispy fried venison I've nailed down - some have said the flavour reminds them of Korean, some have called it general tso's venison, I don't care what you call it and don't know enough about the cuisine of other countries to pretend its what I've made (it does have "Asian" flavours…but that's so vague, Asia's a big place. It'd be like calling Cajun cuisine "North American" and no more specific, but what are ya gonna do, it is what it is 🤣

Anyways…I cut the venison into thin strips, toss them in cornstarch, and fry them until they're crispy.

While they're cooking I whip up my sauce.

Honey
Kikkoman soy sauce
Red chilli flakes
Habanero chilli powder
Hot sauce (whatever brand you like)
Ground ginger
Garlic
Black pepper
A generous splash of sesame oil
Rice vinegar, Just a splash, not generous haha (no measuring, i feel my way through this recipe)

Once they're fried I drain the oil, and put them back in the pan with this glaze for a while. They are delicious and spicy.

Attachments

• 27A4856C-15BC-4232-A594-00E2BA895905.jpeg
    27A4856C-15BC-4232-A594-00E2BA895905.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 75C25932-A5AB-4776-B372-286F08226263.jpeg
    75C25932-A5AB-4776-B372-286F08226263.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Thought I'd share my crispy fried venison I've nailed down - some have said the flavour reminds them of Korean, some have called it general tso's venison, I don't care what you call it and don't know enough about the cuisine of other countries to pretend its what I've made (it does have "Asian" flavours…but that's so vague, Asia's a big place. It'd be like calling Cajun cuisine "North American" and no more specific, but what are ya gonna do, it is what it is 🤣

Anyways…I cut the venison into thin strips, toss them in cornstarch, and fry them until they're crispy.

Honey
Kikkoman soy sauce
Red chilli flakes
Habanero chilli powder
Ground ginger
Garlic
Black pepper
Rice vinegar, Just a splash, not generous haha (no measuring, i feel my way through this recipe)

Once they're fried I drain the oil, and put them back in the pan with this glaze for a while. They are delicious and spicy.
👍

@FEENIX youre kind of the resident cook haha, what would you call this? I've also had someone say "Mongolian" in addition to other possibilities. I just made it up honestly, but I've loved every "Asian" food I've encountered so far , growing up in rural western Canada the most Asian thing I had growing up was American-Chinese food, chicken fried rice and deep fried shrimp haha. Wasn't until my mid twenties that I even knew you could just buy sesame oil at the grocery store (you sure couldn't in my neck of the woods when I was a boy).

Honey
Kikkoman soy sauce
Red chilli flakes
Habanero chilli powder
Ground ginger
Garlic
Black pepper

Oh my!

@FEENIX youre kind of the resident cook haha, what would you call this? I've also had someone say "Mongolian" in addition to other possibilities. I just made it up honestly, but I've loved every "Asian" food I've encountered so far , growing up in rural western Canada the most Asian thing I had growing up was American-Chinese food, chicken fried rice and deep fried shrimp haha. Wasn't until my mid twenties that I even knew you could just buy sesame oil at the grocery store (you sure couldn't in my neck of the woods when I was a boy).
Good eats!

Thanks for the recipe, it'll be on the menu soon. We had Kimchi pancakes and venison bulgogi for dinner tonight (my MIL is Korean and my wife has learned the ways). My Scandinavian mouth doesn't do so well with the hot stuff, my wife on the other hand can eat foods that look like they came from the pit of hell.

Thanks for the recipe, it'll be on the menu soon. We had Kimchi pancakes and venison bulgogi for dinner tonight (my MIL is Korean and my wife has learned the ways). My Scandinavian mouth doesn't do so well with the hot stuff, my wife on the other hand can eat foods that look like they came from the pit of hell.
Scandinavian huh…I have a friend of Scandinavian ancestry and interestingly enough he doesn't like the heat either, or at least it doesn't like him.

But my origins in no way indicate my love of and tolerance for all things spicy…as I mentioned in the original post, grew up in rural western Canada (I've heard we're quite similar to the American "Midwest" in a few regards…red meat and white carbs!!!! 🤣) and we never had anything even remotely spicy growing up. I came by these tastes entirely on my own and no one else in my family can stand it haha.

Going back a few generations we're historically German speaking mennonites who escaped Stalin's Russia back in the day and started over in Canada as grain farmers. No one in that entire lineage has at any point enjoyed anything spicy 🤣

Scandinavian huh…I have a friend of Scandinavian ancestry and interestingly enough he doesn't like the heat either, or at least it doesn't like him.

But my origins in no way indicate my love of and tolerance for all things spicy…as I mentioned in the original post, grew up in rural western Canada (I've heard we're quite similar to the American "Midwest" in a few regards…red meat and white carbs!!!! 🤣) and we never had anything even remotely spicy growing up. I came by these tastes entirely on my own and no one else in my family can stand it haha.

Going back a few generations we're historically German speaking mennonites who escaped Stalin's Russia back in the day and started over in Canada as grain farmers. No one in that entire lineage has at any point enjoyed anything spicy 🤣
Growing up my mom and her sisters and brothers would get together and make pault, it's a Swedish dish that resembles and old sponge mixed with potatoes and crisco, and they desperately tried to get me to believe that it was good as if my ancestry controlled my taste buds, about as far from my wifes' cooking as possible.

Growing up my mom and her sisters and brothers would get together and make pault, it's a Swedish dish that resembles and old sponge mixed with potatoes and crisco, and they desperately tried to get me to believe that it was good as if my ancestry controlled my taste buds, about as far from my wifes' cooking as possible.
Sounds dreadful! From what I understand the Scandinavian countries have perfected a few "questionable" delicacies. There's not much I won't try but that lutefisk concoction is one of them haha