Spicy Teriyaki Backstraps (or Tenderloins)

lancetkenyon

Backstraps (or tenderloins) of choice. I have done this with elk, mule deer, Coues deer, and pronghorn.

2# backstraps
1 whole white onion coarsely chopped or sliced and halved
2-3 jalapeños coarsely diced
4-6 cloves fresh garlic finely diced
1/2 cup Kikkoman teriyaki marinade (the liquid type)
1/2 cup Kikkoman teriyaki glaze (the thicker glaze type)
2 tbsp Black pepper
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper

Take all ingredients and place in a gallon Ziplock bag and marinate 2-3 hours
20230910_150155.jpg

Remove backstraps and cook on grill or cast iron grill pan over high heat until medium rare (or to your choice)

20230901_181342.jpg

Remove meat and rest for 10 minutes

Cook the rest of the veggies and marinade in separate pan until onions just start to carmelize but retain their crunch

After resting, slice meat thinly, and spoon veggies over meat while hot out of the pan.

20230910_170721.jpg

20230910_170929.jpg

Serve and enjoy.

20230901_184624.jpg

20230910_171537.jpg

We do either ramen noodles, rice, or even mashed potatoes as a side. Corn on the cob is my favorite, especially my wife's method (see footnote below).

Sweet and spicy corn on the cob

Fresh corn on the cob
1 cup milk
1/2 cup honey
1 stick salted butter
3-4 jalapeños sliced w. Seeds
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt

Fill stock pot with water half full
Add milk, honey, butter, and sliced jalapeños, salt and pepper, and bring to a rolling boil.

Add corn on the cob and cook 8-10 minutes

Serve hot. I add a bit of salt, black pepper, and ground red pepper when served. I like spice/heat...Best corn on the cob I have ever had.

Lance, thanks for posting this. I use a lot of peppers in my cooking and that backstrap looks great. I have never had sweet corn cooked like that before. We just froze a bunch of sweet corn so we enjoy it when it's not in season. I have got to try this soon.

Lance, thanks for posting this. I use a lot of peppers in my cooking and that backstrap looks great. I have never had sweet corn cooked like that before. We just froze a bunch of sweet corn so we enjoy it when it's not in season. I have got to try this soon.
You won't be sorry, I promise.

Recent Posts