Crimping Belted Magnum Loads… to do or not to do?

The only bullets I ever crimped in the first 40 years of reloading were magnum revolver rounds loaded with heavy bullets, in high recoiling cartridges. Crimps are mandatory in this sort of ammo.

About 7 years ago I purchased an AR15. One year ago I began a fairly exhaustive internet search on crimping handloaded AR15 ammunition. There's a lot of varying opinions expressed on this topic, and for the most part, the posters sounding in have never crimped any ammo, yet they profess to KNOW the best option. So I'll not spend a single sentence debating preferences with anyone on this Forum.

I'll simply share a little of my research, the results of my limited testing, and more significantly, the much more extensive test results of another local shooter's experiences.

My internet research:
I found many Posts supporting crimping on a variety of forums from some individuals with a lot of experience crimping rifle ammo. Not just for their AR15s, but also for bolt action rifles. Virtually without exception, those crimping their rifle ammo recommended using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I found that the majority of those posting against crimping rifle ammo, when push came to shove, had to admit they'd never even tried it once in their entire life of reloading. Which meant all they were doing was babbling non-expert opinions.

I eventually located a fairly extensive set of "test" data, comparing Lee Factory Crimp Die" crimped handloads, to the same exact handloads without the crimp. The author tested three different cartridges in three different rifles with three different bullets per cartridge, as I recall. One was in .223 rem, and the other two were bolt action rifles in larger calibers, one being .308. The author/tester also chronographed every shot fired. He collected both accuracy data and MV/ES/SD data for each round/rifle tested. Did a very nice job presenting the results of his testing. With every round tested, the crimped ammo shot more accurately. Crimping didn't seem to have much effect on MV/ES/SD. The value of crimping did show in improved accuracy. More so with the .223 ammo than with the two larger caliber cartridges.

So I purchased my first Lee Factory Crimp Die in .223 Rem, convinced it was unlikely to degrade accuracy in my AR15, and that it would improve function reliability in my AR15. I had already spent some time on load development, so I crimped some of my handloads and headed out to test accuracy and MV/ES/SD of the crimped ammo versus the exact same loads with no crimp at 280 yds.

My Testing:
Photo of No-Crimp target/accuracy:
60gr%20Vmax%20no%20Crimp_zpspfq3wdgq.jpg

Photo of Crimped target/accuracy:
60gr%20Vmax%20with%20Lee%20Crimp_zps9sfpc5um.jpg

I was shooting 60gr Hornady Vmax bullets, which have no crimping cannelure. I continued crimp versus no-crimp testing with three differing crimp levels; light, medium, and heavy. None of the crimps I applied would have significantly indented the bullet. But I will state that I never pulled a single crimped bullet to see if I could feel and measure any level of indentation. All three crimping levels improved accuracy, and the heaviest level of crimp proved to yield a little better accuracy than the lighter crimped rounds. Both of the above targets consist of six shots fired. Ignore the additional shots on the no-crimp target and just look at the ink line circle enclosing the six rounds of crimped ammo versus the six rounds of no-crimp ammo.

I recorded MVs for each round fired over my triplicate chronographs, which provide 4 separate recorded bullet velocities for each bullet. I expected to see an improved MV precision (reduced ES), but I really didn't see that.

So I showed these to targets at my local gun shop to a guy that likely owns more than 100 firearms. Retired from more than 30 years in law enforcement, and additional years duty on security jobs protected local industrial factories. He began hunting at less than 10 years old, harvesting deer for his family to eat. He shoots continually and he's a very good shot. He's not into long range shooting, but he's shooting a rifle more days than not, and keeps a ledger for every load tested. He interest was piqued, and he said he did crimp for his semi-auto AR15s and other semi-auto rifles, but rarely for bolt action rifles. About one month later I found the testing article during continued internet research and I read it twice and studied the data more than that. I printed the article out and took it to the gun shop and showed it to this shooter. He looked it over and I described the findings. The testing was completed and the article printed, about 10 years ago. I offered to give the printed article to him, but after reviewing it, he handed it back to me. I suppose he doesn't trust anyone and anything more than his own experiences and experiments.

My fellow-shooter's testing:
About 4-5 weeks later I'm in the gun shop and this shooter tells me he's tested crimped rounds in at least six rifles, and in no instance did accuracy degrade. Without exception, accuracy was at least as good as without the crimp, and improved accuracy was very notable with some rifles/cartridges. He's absolutely convinced that crimping with the Lee Factory Crimp Die improves accuracy compared to his same accuracy loads without any crimp. None of his reloaded ammo is loaded with the bullets jammed into the lands. He's obtained a Lee Factory Crimp Die for every factory round he owns/shoots. And he's disappointed that he can't find them available for his wildcat cartridges. I told him that perhaps the gunsmith could use a chamber reamer to create a Lee Factory Crimp Die collet for his wildcats using the factory version of the wildcatted cartridge. He said he may look into that.

This guy is as blunt and honest in his assessment of things shooting and reloaded related as they come. He often carries his written ledgers containing his load data into the gun shop with just fired targets from the range. The gunsmith has re-barreled at least 20 of his rifles over the years.

I asked if he was testing bullets with cannelures and he said both. So he tested both types of bullets. His testing wasn't performed on random reloads. He used the same accuracy loads he's developed over the years and then simply crimped some of those cartridges and shot them side by side with no crimp ammo.

Take it or leave it.

Many target shooters jam their bullets into the lands. I believe this helps consistency of powder ignition rate and powder burn rate, which improves on target accuracy. Many hunters don't jam their bullets into the lands. Especially hunters like my fellow-shooter that don't pursue long range hunting and long range shooting. For those shooting less than 400 yards, the gain in accuracy by jamming bullets isn't worth the risk of reduced cartridge feed and extraction reliability in the field. Especially when the brown and black bears are ever present.

Well, I think we gave the original poster something to think about anyway. Looks like there are at least 3 different "Opinions" on crimping (Yes, No, And both).

Like many other things in this sport, There are many ways to do something and not one way only.
there will probably never be a clear consensus on this one, but that's ok because everyone has there experiences and Ideas on how to do something.

J E CUSTOM

I, like most, have never crimped. So I have nothing to add. Just questions.

My question is: RCBS dies have the option to crimp, is there a reason that this is not a good option?

Steve

I, like most, have never crimped. So I have nothing to add. Just questions.

My question is: RCBS dies have the option to crimp, is there a reason that this is not a good option?

Steve

Damage to the bullet jacket if no cannelure is present. I believe the crimp option on RCBS dies might be more aggressive than a Lee Factory crimp die.

All this reading is got me thinking.
Im about to sit down and load some 'UTILITY ' ammo for my lr308 with 150gr Hornady Interlock bullets with a LFC die.

Steve

The benefit of the Lee Factory Crimp Die (LFCD) is that it uses a compressing collet to crimp the case mouth. The collet acts perpendicular to the case mouth when imparting the crimp. This means the LFCD is largely insensitive to cartridge casing lengths and the degree of crimp applied is readily adjustable on the casings. Visit the Lee website for further visual and text understanding.

The majority of, if not all, other crimping dies impart the crimp as the case neck moves longitudinally into the crimp constriction in the seating die. The degree of crimp is dependent on the thickness of the case neck, and the length of the case neck crimped.

The LFCDs are inexpensive. They make them for a number of factory cartridges. Their web site also states that they'll make them in some oddball cartridges on a special order basis for an extra fee, which necessitates a delayed time for manufacture of the die for the uncommon cartridges.

I'm going to backtrack on the comment I made earlier about using a chamber reamer to customize a LFCD to a wildcatted cartridge. I don't think it would be possible as the neck and throat cutting portion of the chamber reamer would also cut/remove the steel within the collet that imparts the crimp.
Paul

Damage to the bullet jacket if no cannelure is present. I believe the crimp option on RCBS dies might be more aggressive than a Lee Factory crimp die.

Exactly. The LFCD provides infinite adjustment on the level of crimp applied to the case neck.

All this reading is got me thinking.
Im about to sit down and load some 'UTILITY ' ammo for my lr308 with 150gr Hornady Interlock bullets with a LFC die.

The RCBS crimp is a compression type and also can be adjusted from the slightest crimp to the full crimp.

The lee crimper uses a collet and the die body pushes in on the collet (Just a different way of crimping.

The best set of dies in the world can be adjusted wrong, so adjusting any die properly is important.
With the use of any crimp die the cases should be trimmed to exactly the same length in order to get consistent results (Uniform crimps).

J E CUSTOM

With the use of any crimp die the cases should be trimmed to exactly the same length in order to get consistent results (Uniform crimps).

J E CUSTOM

I agree with this, in the pursuit of optimum consistency, shell to shell.

With my .223 brass, I have ~3,500 cases and they're not all trimmed exactly to the same length. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is very forgiving if these case lengths vary by 0.010" or even 0.015". The goal with my AR15 is minute of gopher, and the LFCD provides great flexibility while crimping these casings. In my very first comparison test, the 280 yard group size of the crimped ammo shrank to about 55-60% the size of the uncrimped ammo.

To set the record straight, I haven't experimented with crimping any shells other than my .223 ammo in my AR15 so far, and I've only tested that gun on two separate outings. But the local shooter I know has tested LFCD crimped ammo in several different calibers in a number of different rifles. And I trust his testing as much as I do my own.

To set the record straight, I haven't experimented with crimping any shells other than my .223 ammo in my AR15 so far, and I've only tested that gun on two separate outings. But the local shooter I know has tested LFCD crimped ammo in several different calibers in a number of different rifles. And I trust his testing as much as I do my own.

No Problem, I don't know anyone that has done it all, I have lots of experience with crimping on the big bores and an assortment of smaller calibers but there are still many cartridges that I haven't crimped so with all of the variables in cartridges and uses plus the new powders there is still lots of room for experimenting with different methods.

With match grade bullets, rarely do they have cannelure's so I have always used a tighter bushing
in my dies to get the same effect without possibly deforming the bullet (Just Me).

The big bores I have tested/chronographed showed some improvement in SDs but at the distance used (100 to 400 yards) I could not see any measurable improvement is accuracy. My 338 went from 11 ft/sec to 6ft/sec SDs with the 250 grain bullet. And my 416 went from 7 ft/sec SDs to 3 ft/sec SDs with 400 grain bullets. I also had a & STW benefit with the 160 grain bullets from an average of 9 ft/sec SDs to 4 ft/sec SDs. These were the most noticeable benefits of crimping.

The accuracy did improve on the 7 MMs to the 338s at long ranges (600 to 1000 yards). this could have been because the SDs were better or powder burn was better because of the crimp.

I have also improved accuracy by adding more neck tension on some non- cannelured bullets
But could not prove if it was because of powder burn rates were better or the improved SDs
were the trick.

Either Way, If I can improve accuracy, I will try any method that shows results. So I don't rule out anything because there are so many variables in loading quality ammo.

J E CUSTOM

J E C
Do you believe that crimping increases pressure. Would you have to reduce your load somewhat in relation to a non crimped load. Been loading for over 35 yrs, but never got into crimping other than for my 30/30 Win.

I found this Post at The Firing Line Forum, at this link, in case anyone has the interest. The below quote is not mine. But my more limited experience is similar. Certainly, anyone that does limited load development would improve their accuracy by adding a crimp, IMO. For LRH's that work harder at developing an optimum accuracy load, I dunno if the Lee Collet Factory Crimp Die (LFCD) will improve or degrade accuracy. I have never tested thoroughly enough to know, and never will. But it absolutely improved accuracy in my 223 ammo from my AR 15. A very notable improvement with loads that I didn't spend a lot of time developing. I like to crimp my AR 15 .223 ammo, no matter the accuracy improvements or detriments. That's how I came to testing the LFCD in the first place. Crimping my .223 handloads for my AR 15. I shot non-crimped loads and LFCD crimped loads. Same load. Only difference was the LFCD crimping. Big improvement in accuracy. Again, the below is NOT my text. An old codger from The Firing Line posted this. I don't know him at all. But if he's 1/2 honest, he's improved accuracy across the board with his reloaded ammo by crimping with the LFCD.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168799

"To put your minds at ease, I have loaded thousands of non-cannalured bullets using the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. I shoot a thousand rounds a month (I am old and have nothing better to do) and have tried every bullet and powder combination in .22 Hornet, .223, .243, 7x57, .308, .30-06, 45-70, .270W, 280R, 300WSM, 7mmWSM, 30-40 Krag, 32W, 30-30, 264WM and a few others. AS an example, I loaded 20 bullets, ten crimped and ten not. In every case except one, the crimped bullets using the FCD improved the accuracy of the rifle.....I have shot many Speer bullets using the FCD. No problems at all and very accurate.......For the 45-70 and a lot of good shooting.......use the Remington bulk 300 grain from Midwayusa......for real power....the 405 grain Rem flatpoint."

There was a big thread about crimping on one of the forums here a little while ago. Basically, it showed the crimped ammo was more accurate and changed a lot of people's minds on this issue. I crimp everything I shoot except for my 338 Lapua since the FCD only comes in a large thread version. I'll have to buy another press to be able to use that

CRIMP OR NOT TO CRIMP. Is a real open discussion.
Factories and Military cartridges is crimped with a purpose in mind.
If you have the neck real tight on a cartridge for handling and storage, The neck will stress under tension and split. Factory ammo necks are not real tight and use a crimp to hold the bullet. It is part a retail pleaser, We would not buy ammo if we opened a box of shell in the store and case necks was split.
The Armed forces want crimped ammo for storage and the rough handling, Like air drop and dump out delivery. When I was in Europe in 1962 our base load of battle ammo was dated 1943-44. It still shot and worked proper through M-1 and M-1 carbines.

Bullet movement at the time of primer ignition could be a reason for crimping. If the bullet will move a little it would change case volume and powder burn rate. Some rifles will not shoot accurate till the bullet is in the lands so the bullet will not move.
Pistol bullets need to be crimped, 1. So pressure will build quick in short barrels. 2. So bullets can not move in magazine or cylinder and lock the gun.
Lead rifle bullets need crimp for handling and holding the bullet in case until shot.

Guns remind of my X wife, Figure out what works, "Then Don't try to change it, Just Do It That Way," Or you will regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.