cream of wheat?

A google search would probably produce better answers, but my understanding is that you put a charge (I have no idea how much) of a shotgun or pistol powder into your case and then fill the rest of the case up with cream of wheat as a "filler".

When you pull the trigger, the cream of wheat will provide resistance for the gunpowder and allow the gasses to form the case to your chamber. The reasoning behind the cream of wheat method is that you can fireform brass at your house without wearing your barrel out because you're not shooting bullets. I have no idea the validity of any of the above information, but it's what I've gathered from reading various threads on the subject.

I used this method for a 243 Ackley and it worked fine. I loaded 15grs of Red Dot shotgun powder and filled the rest of the case with cream of wheat then stuffed a small patch in the mouth.
It does save barrel life but it's a booger to clean.

Browninglover1 is spot on . I have also heard that toilet paper works as well .....no joke although " clean-up " may be easier than with cream of wheat ! I have used neither method as my Case Forming is in small quantities and I use the bullet into the Lands method .

I just fireformed 300 dasher brass with this method no more than a month ago. I was taught by a Hall of Fame benchrest shooter. It saves on the barrel life and cost. That is pretty much it.

We used K&M expander mandrel to even out the necks, turned them to clean them up. Expanded them from .243 to .257. Then necked the back to .243 to create the false shoulder. Primed them with CCI400 primers, loaded 8grs. of titewad and filled with cream of wheat. Topped this off with toilet paper to keep everything in place and went out and fireformed some brass.

Brent

Blipet, I have a bud that just put a heavy,6 dasher together. First match this yr. he shoot a 100 4 or 5x. In last week or 2

I will be competing for the first time this year also with my Dasher, should be done this month. Things didn't go so well with the first one so I reordered 1-25-12 and have everything already at a different smith. Mine is:

270neck 135freebore
Defiance left hand medium action drop port
Brux HV 1:7.75 barrel
Shehane MBR Tracker stock
Jewell 1.5oz. trigger
Sightron SIII 8-32X56 or NF 8-32X56 NXS which ever I like better

Ernie was awesome enough to find me a SEB rest and and rear bag. Man they are nice!!!!!!!!!

I have one successful shooter putting the rifle together and another successful shooter helping me learn the reloading. I am very fortunate for all the help.

I have 10lbs or powder and 6000bullets Sierra matchkings, Berger VLD's, Berger Hybrids ready and poised to start learning. No antelope season and they cut deer tags in half so I have to find something to do. Because I sure don't like fishing much:D.

Brent

My wife wont let me get anymore hobbies:D. My buds are into it. The guy that just shot the 100. I asked if he gets them often, has 9 in matches since 09. They had the first 3 drop ports to come out of Defiance, talked Glenn into making them.

Yeah Leo A. is one I am guessing. Richard told me alot about him. Are they going to Nationals in Calf. for the NBRSA in the middle of April? Richard is all ready and excited.

One of my wife's great qualities she doesn't care what I spend on. I worked overtime to pay for the build and items however because I wanted to get my savings back where I had it.

Brent

I handload ~ 65 cartridges, and the only one I use Cream of Wheat, 10 gr of any pistol powder, and no bullet is on is 257 Roberts Ackley Improved that I mistakenly headspaced like a 257 Roberts. If I do not use Cream of Wheat, the pressure is too high, it stretches too much, and case will not form right.

The next 3 rifles we built in that cartridge for friends were headpaced .004" shorter, and do not need the extra COW [Cream of wheat] step. They get a bullet on the first firing.

Attachments

• cracked257RAIcase.jpg
    cracked257RAIcase.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 67
Y'all are teaching me something about the toilet paper, never heard of that.
To fire form brass for my 280 AI, I just loaded 19gr of green dot and shot them.
FE

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.