Crazy fast 215 Berger Hybrid 300 wm....

Just poking along on this thread and don't know if I buy 215's going that quick but maybe... I have been shooting 230 OTM out of two different 300 wins. And a 300 Dakota. Range validation out to 1375 yards puts me at 2710 fps using 74.5 grains H1000 210M primer and win. Brass and a 26" tube. The other rifle used 74 grains and was validated at 2735 fps. The Dakota is using 77 grains H1000 215M and 27" tube at 2865 fps.
I do not use chronograph's anymore unless it's indoors. There are to many variables in using them to fully trust there readings. I have used many brands and like you have had readings over 200 fps off reality. I would get rid of that temp sensitive powder if you can. Stick with H1000.
Just my 2 cents, range validation is the proof in the pudding. IM interested to see what you are finding.

Strap,
You are welcome! Please contact us if you need any help in the future.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Strap,
You are welcome! Please contact us if you need any help in the future.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Thanks Phil, I was considering using them for hunting and have heard some say that the 215 is a good bullet for hunting. The box says recommended for target not suitable for hunting. This is the Hybrid Target 30 cal. 215 grain bullets. I have heard they all are straight lead with jacket thickness and overall shape being the major differences. I have used the H-1000 powder on the 190's with success but the loading book I used did not show the 215 bullet. So I was looking for advice on hunting and a load with the H1000.

Thanks Phil, I was considering using them for hunting and have heard some say that the 215 is a good bullet for hunting. The box says recommended for target not suitable for hunting. This is the Hybrid Target 30 cal. 215 grain bullets. I have heard they all are straight lead with jacket thickness and overall shape being the major differences. I have used the H-1000 powder on the 190's with success but the loading book I used did not show the 215 bullet. So I was looking for advice on hunting and a load with the H1000.
Strap14,
We don't recommend the target bullets be used for hunting. The jackets are a little thicker than the hunting bullets and as a result they do not cause the tremendous hydrostatic shock to the animal like the hunting bullets do and just "pencil" through the game. Try the 185 grain Classic Hunter and if you have our manual use the same load as the 185 grain VLD. If you need anything else please let us know.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Jboscobuys,
Our load manual says that 66.0 GR is MIN to 69.6 GR MAX is the load range for RL-22 in the 300 WM using our 215 GR Hybrids so you can drop your charge lower than the 71.5 GR load to see if you can find another accurate velocity node so you don't get beat up as much. Don't use the 71.5 GR load with another manufacturer's bullet ! The short bearing surface of the Hybrid wont build pressure as fast as a bullet with a long bearing surface will. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Broz has tested the 215 hybrids in the field to a point that I am tipped towards seeing what kind of results they produce for me as well. I hesitated at first also, but his results were somewhat compelling, and all I have hoped for in a long range heavy. I'm going to try to get a good load developed for next years elk, but I will try it on long distance coyotes this inter to see how they react to light bodied targets. Will pot feedback when I do.

Heya barefooter... Thanks for the info. I definitely planned on dropping this one back some! Quick load is usually pretty close and so I generally will start testing at about 2.5 or so grains off what it recommends as maximum and then find a node there towards the top of the charge, but under max pressure. This was the first Tim in all it's use that it's ever been that wrong... And an added 250 fps more than what is expected is a lot of pressure when you start getting towards the top of your load!

Appreciate your touching base and providing info... And there's no doubt that I'm going to try to find a good load somewhere between 2750 and 2825. If nothing there... Then down a little more! Going faster just makes me wince to even consider! :D

I just bought some RL22 from a guy who was selling it because it was a "hot" batch. Try tweaking the burn rate factor in quickload until the velocity in quickload matches the velocity your chronograph measured. This will give you a much better result in quickload. The default burn rate factor in quickload is an average that the author of quickload found in lab trials years ago. This will vary from lot to lot and the only way for quickload to match real-world results is to tweak the program. Chris Long provides a good tutorial on tweaking quickload here - http://the-long-family.com/Tuning QL to achieve best results.pdf

Hope this helps,

Dennis

I just bought some RL22 from a guy who was selling it because it was a "hot" batch. Try tweaking the burn rate factor in quickload until the velocity in quickload matches the velocity your chronograph measured. This will give you a much better result in quickload. The default burn rate factor in quickload is an average that the author of quickload found in lab trials years ago. This will vary from lot to lot and the only way for quickload to match real-world results is to tweak the program. Chris Long provides a good tutorial on tweaking quickload here - http://the-long-family.com/Tuning QL to achieve best results.pdf

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks a ton. That is a great article, so much so that it should be stickied in the reloading section.

Really appreciate it and will definitely play around with the features listed. Very nice.

~James

jboscobuys,
Yes! Velocity like BC is not a "be all" or "end all". You have to test and feed the critter what it likes! Accuracy is king. Please let us know if you need any help along the way!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.