Crazy fast 215 Berger Hybrid 300 wm....

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

I finally got my hands on some berger hybrid 215 grains for my 300 wm, and got out to the range tonight to begin working up a load. I decided on Reloader 22 and to run them .050 off the lands seeing as they are supposed to be somewhat seat insensitive.

So... I worked up some loads in Quickoad... From 71.5 gr to 74 gr. Velocity for 71.5 gr was a modest 2735 from Quickload and worked up from there to 2830 at 74 gr. Maximum velocity before the "dangerous load" message tapped out at 2814 fps.

Here's the strange thing... I get to the range, fire off my first load (71.5gr), and it spits out at 2975. Now I knew it was hot... Just from the recoil and the sound, but when I looked over to my chronograph, I was floored. I have a fast barreled 308, but it only runs about 100 fps faster than data indicates it should. Most my other rifles run +\- 50 fps from data I get from quickload. But this load is hopping along at 240 fps faster than Quickload predicted. I checked the primer for cratering... Looked good... A little flat...but no ejector mark. So I worked my way up until I had both a slight crater...and a slight ejector mark. 73.5 gr @ 3017 fps. Now even braked... She's bucking pretty good under this load. I only fired off one of each, testing the velocity from 71.5 gr up to 73.5 gr and I decided not to push it to 74 gr based on what I saw.

So I decided to test group size for the loads I had between 71.5 and 72.5 gr. as powder charge increased, so did group size. My best group averages @100 yds were 71.5 gr with a .82" average and 72 gr with a 1.02" average.

Given that I usually use Quikload to set my max velocity, and that the max fps for this load and bullet combo is 2814.. Should I back off and test nearer to that velocity, or should I just thank the stars for the extra speed and look for a good group around 70 to 71.5 gr? Feeling torn and looking for input on what you think you would do in my place.

Thanks....

In some cases, 7 stw, and 7 lrm for example you could be over pressure with no apparent signs. When theses cartridges were standardized they were found to be way over pressure with no real signs.so they toned them down a bit. I would use a known muzzle velocity for a reference. No since in messing up you or a good shifting rifle.

I am getting over 3000fps with my 215s and RL25 and rutumbo in my sendero.
Way faster than the book calls for but I'm aslo .40 off lands and coal is 3.660 ..

I am getting 2900fps with a 300 weatherby 26" barrel with 81grains of h1000 coal 3.65. From berger book for the weatherby max load of RL22 73.5 grains at 2844fps. How long is your barrel.

Yeah... Woke up with a bruised shoulder this morning. Think I've made up my mind and will be backing off on the velocity regardless of whether it seems my gun can take it... And the lack of pressure sign in the cases at 71.5 gr RL22. If I had a heavier rifle... I'd probably lack the bruising and might try to keep some of that added velocity... But as things stand, with a fairly light Browning Abolt... I think it's time to at least shave off 150 fps if not 200, and hope for a decent node.

If it's bruising your shoulder you may want to look at a different brake design. MY 300 win will push 215 bergers at 3,000 fps with a 28 inch barrel + brake and has very little recoil, weighs about 10.5 lbs scoped.

Just a quick thought. In Quickload is the brass selected the same as you are shooting? There is quite a velocity and pressure difference between Rem and Win brass for example.

Just a quick thought. In Quickload is the brass selected the same as you are shooting? There is quite a velocity and pressure difference between Rem and Win brass for example.

Yeah... Using federal for both. It's really the first time I've had this kind of disparity between what QL gives me, and actual field results. Normally... I might expect 50-100 variance, but 200+ surprised me.

As to a better brake... The gun with a 24" barrel and at 9lbs pushing a 215 pill at 3017, has to be burning more powder than with a 28" barrel. A better brake might help some, but more rifle weight would be an option also.

I think backing off velocity some makes the most sense for me though.

A bruised shoulder with a 300 win? Let alone with a brake. The recoil of a 243 will not bruise my great grandkids. This is what a 300 with a brake equal. You are sure the brake was on?

A 300 will reach that velocity with a little over pressure. Quick load has been a great toll for some guidelines but in my experience it is more than a little off.

We shoot competition every Saturday morning at our Jerome range south of Elkhorn. It down in your area. NONE of us use quickload as a Bible.

A bruised shoulder with a 300 win? Let alone with a brake. The recoil of a 243 will not bruise my great grandkids. This is what a 300 with a brake equal. You are sure the brake was on?

A 300 will reach that velocity with a little over pressure. Quick load has been a great toll for some guidelines but in my experience it is more than a little off.

We shoot competition every Saturday morning at our Jerome range south of Elkhorn. It down in your area. NONE of us use quickload as a Bible.

Yes... I'm pretty **** sure the brake was on lol. Actually, I was at the Jerome range last night testing out these loads. I only shot 14 bullets as well. The shot leaving at 3017 definitely carried the most whallup... and I've shot the 168s at these speeds with no issues whatsoever. I was thinking about heading out Saturday with the 300 to check out some lighter loads with the 215 hybrids. If you'd like me to cook up a couple running around 3000 fps so you can see what it's doing yourself, I'd be happy to toss 73.5 gr of RL22 into some brass and let you throw them down range yourself.

I have two 243s in the house and shoot them regularly so I know what the recoil from one feels like. It's the cartridge I actually started my son out on 4 years ago when he was 11, so that gives you an idea of how much recoil I perceive it to have. I generally shoot 308s and can shoot them all day long, but after only 14 of the 215s out of this 300wm running 2975-3017, I can honestly say there's no way I could shoot all day with the recoil generated from those cartridges. Here's the result. Not horrible, but definitely felt it as I don't bruise easily.
image.jpg

Saturday morning we will be there at 9 am. Bring the best you have. We are all old and have our skills gone down hill. We shoot the 6mm and others at 98 yds and average .004 groups. Some on hear will call BS on that but come see for yourself.

Many years ago when they built the range they paced the distance off and close enough was accurate enough. 98 yards is truly what it is.

If your into hunting rifles then a young one (45) shows up sometimes and he can work with you, He commonly will shoot 1000 yds with a hunting rifle and hold a 6.43 group! He took a antelope at 1477 yds this year. Recorded with one of our shooting group members.

This is a no BS group

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.