Crazy fast 215 Berger Hybrid 300 wm....

Yes... I'm pretty sure I said in the original post that I looked over at my chronograph and was stunned.

I meant did you input that velocity in your dope and shoot it at 800+ to see where the rounds are landing? You might be surprised or maybe you won't. That's field validation.

No.... I didn't test out further than 100. My magneto speed 3 does a pretty good job and is nowhere near 250 fps off. I've used it predict my dope for my 308 and it's extremely close when I adjust shooter for actual field velocity at distance.

It was the first time out testing these new loads of 215 hybrids... And so I was just trying to find average velocity... And check a few loads out to 100 yards that seem to group better than the others... So that I could further refine my loads. Also gives me a chance to examine sd and es.

However... After just firing off the first round, I knew it was hot even before looking at the chronograph, I just was surprised by how much. It appears that the brass and gun will handle 3000 fps... But I'm very certain my shoulder will not. And the dangerous load indicator for my loads via quick load is 2815, running just above 62k psi. The final load I checked for velocity clocked in at 3017, which is about 76k psi, way over the red line. That doesn't mean that my setup won't do it... Just not a safe way to load, brass will have a shorter life, my barrel will wear faster, and I'm pretty positive I'll develop a nice flinch so shooting long distance with this load becomes rather pointless.

Guess the point of the op was that quick load has always been within reason for working up loads for all my other cartridge/bullet combos, but for reloader22, Berger 215 hybrids, and my 300wm, the data shows a drastic disparity as to what the actual muzzle velocity ends up at the range. Just providing info for others that might try this particular combo when working up loads for the 215s and using QL for a starting point.

Um, RL22 is the one powder I have had the most variation with lot to lot, bottle to bottle, and I still love the stuff. Was this a new batch or was it used in other loads? Did you weigh the Bergers? Somebody out there must be loading and shooting the same components. Hope they speak up!
Wallypedal

It's not uncommon to see the 215's faster then the 210's and other bullets of similar weights. I read a few times and don't know how true it is that the 215's with the design of them have a lot less bearing surface then bullets of similar weights causing them to be able to reach velocity's of smaller lighter bullets.

I ran the Berger 210 vld's in my 300. Winny with 77gr's of H-1000, and had it tested out too 1100 yards. My velocity came in between 2860-2870. I have recently switched over to 215's and on initial test (still testing) I loaded from 73grs-76grs. My dope from 100-400 yards is identical to the 77gr's of h-1000 behind the 210. So the 215's being 5gr heavier bullet with 4grains less powder I was hitting in the same general velocity park. I then ran 76grs of h-1000 and it's getting my particular load in the range of 2930-2970. I'm just need to finish chronoing them and then test drops out further then 400.

Yes the 215 has less bearing then a 210. The bullet can also vary in diameter and have seen a .001 difference from lot to lot. You can get 3000 with a 230 in a WSM easily with 7828SSC. So I don't see why you can't get 3000 with a 215 in a 300 WIN. I don't put a lot of faith in ballistic programs. It never knows how fast the powder is, or what diameter the bullet is, or how fast the barrel is. Those are factors that can change velocities by 200 or more. Matt

I don't doubt for one second the 215 was doing 3017fps in your rifle. I am shooting the 208gn A-Max and the 210gn Hunting VLD at 3072 and 3073fps, respectively in my .300WinMag. My rifle is a stock Savage 112BVSS with Witt Machine break and slip on recoil pad added.
Haven't tried H1000 with these bullets yet. Running Hodgdon website max and compressed load of 81.0gns of Retumbo with CCI250's. This yields sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds for me.

"Try it, you'll like it."..........

JohnnyK.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If I had a heavier barrel, I think I'd settle in around the 2980-3000 mark, but with this light configuration, even with the brake, she's making bruises which never benefits accuracy. It's flight characteristics are so good, dropping the speed back a bit shouldn't make me suffer a too much at distance, and might help me not suffer too much when I'm behind it.

Slick bullet. Now it's time to pick up a heavier barreled rifle. Wish I had more money readily available! Wife just got out of the hospital last month and so that's another 10k to add to what we already owe them. Gotta love US healthcare!

Thanks again gents.

what powder are you using? Has anyone tried H-1000 with the 215 gr 300Win. combo.? What powder load and OAL. was used?

Jboscobuys,
Our load manual says that 66.0 GR is MIN to 69.6 GR MAX is the load range for RL-22 in the 300 WM using our 215 GR Hybrids so you can drop your charge lower than the 71.5 GR load to see if you can find another accurate velocity node so you don't get beat up as much. Don't use the 71.5 GR load with another manufacturer's bullet ! The short bearing surface of the Hybrid wont build pressure as fast as a bullet with a long bearing surface will. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Jboscobuys,
Our load manual says that 66.0 GR is MIN to 69.6 GR MAX is the load range for RL-22 in the 300 WM using our 215 GR Hybrids so you can drop your charge lower than the 71.5 GR load to see if you can find another accurate velocity node so you don't get beat up as much. Don't use the 71.5 GR load with another manufacturer's bullet ! The short bearing surface of the Hybrid wont build pressure as fast as a bullet with a long bearing surface will. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

thank you so much for all the feedback. It's really great to have a way to get other opinions and learn from their experiences. I have been using H-1000 exclusively for the 300 Win in heavier bullets. I was very pleased with the 190 grain results but would rather use the 215's if I can get good performance out of them. If I can't get a load for the H-1000 to work out, I will try the RL-22 next. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.