300 WM COAL with 215 Hybrid.

May call Jeff at CDI as he told my little brother a couple of options. My rifle I'm going single shot and with the the 215 hybrids .010" below the neck junction I want to say the COAL is right at 3.720" figure that will give me a little room to grow and chase the lands down the road. Later,

Kirk

May call Jeff at CDI as he told my little brother a couple of options. My rifle I'm going single shot and with the the 215 hybrids .010" below the neck junction I want to say the COAL is right at 3.720" figure that will give me a little room to grow and chase the lands down the road. Later,

Kirk

You mean you have the bottom of the bullet seated to where it's .010 below the neck junction or the boattail to ogive junction of the bullet seated to the neck junction?

How do you figure out and measure precisely where this is? I mean obviously a person isn't eyeballing a bullet next to a case and marking it to get within .001 or even .010 of where you intended it to be. So how do you precisely get whatever part of the bullet you want seated at the neck junction of the case?

You mean you have the bottom of the bullet seated to where it's .010 below the neck junction or the boattail to ogive junction of the bullet seated to the neck junction?

How do you figure out and measure precisely where this is? I mean obviously a person isn't eyeballing a bullet next to a case and marking it to get within .001 or even .010 of where you intended it to be. So how do you precisely get whatever part of the bullet you want seated at the neck junction of the case?

I do this using the cartridge print and the bullet specs. I shoot Berger so I get the specs off their website.

Cut out the spend cartridge for a dummy test on area where you want to observe and take "actual" measurements similar to the attached pix ...

Attachments

• cut out.jpg
    cut out.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for the help guy's, this sight is great for a novice like me!

I know what I had in mind would involve a lot of measurements and calculate it out which would increase the margin of error.

So what is the ideal seating depth within the case? Bottom of bullet even with case to shoulder junction, bottom of bullet at neck junction or boat tail to ogive junction even with neck junction?

Thanks again

Yes .010 below the neck junction, I don't eyeball measurements. The bullets vary in length all across so I'll say I'm within .003" of the .010" below neck junction. It's not a hard measurement to get as long as you have some solid dimensions to go from. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.