Crazy 7mm build

The 7mm blazer mag should get in the velocity range your looking for. I dont have one or know to much about them. Might be worth a bit of research.

If your looking to cut weight .check out proof research carbon fiber barrel. I bought a cooper firearms with a proof research carbon fiber barrel 26" I was looking to to get the full potential of the 28 Nosler.

My current 28nosler is running a 22" proof on a Pierce Ti action. I didn't have that great of consistency with Retumbo and the 195 Berger. I switched to H1000 and average 2770fps with great accuracy. I have N570 to try but I might wait until I burn this barrel out. Never tried 180's but I have a 7dakota that launches those. One can never have too many rifles in any bore diameter haha!!

There was a similar thread last month. You might find some good info in that one, too.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/deciding-on-a-7mm-7mm-rem-mag-7mm-wsm.232151/
I've become quite enamored of the 7mm-300 Win Mag lately, mainly because I accidentally acquired an Ackley Rem700 in that chamber. There's about a 60 page thread on that caliber on here. I also believe the 7mm Practical is quite similar to the 7mm-300WM.
ballisticsstudies.com Or just google 7mm practical. Dave Manson has reamers and dies. Nathan Foster from New Zeeland is who developed the 7 practical and that is his site. I built one but have not shot it yet. Think I like is all the development has already been done. Get on his site. A good read and covers a lot of territory.

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.

I had built a 28 Nosler on a Trued Rem 700 action, a 26" #3 Fluted Benchmark, Wildcat Ultralight Composite stock, it was very accurate with Nosler factory ammo but what I did notice was recoil was substantial, shooting at the bench the scope bell was grazing my forehead with every shot.
I had my gunsmith brake it and of course it was a dream to shoot after that, the gun was 8lbs 7.3 oz with a VX6 3-18x44 scope on it.

Im not sure how heavy of a rifle your planning on building with a 22" barrel but keep in mind your rifle weight with recoil, and with a brake the noise will be substantial on that short of a barrel.

Just my opinion, but you don't need a "magnum" to accomplish your goal with this build. I do have a 22" 28 Nosler running 195 Berger's at 2850fps with h1000.

I also use :
7-08 with 16" barrel
a 7mm Mauser with 20" barrel
and a 280 Rem with 20" barrel
To practice and hunt out to 1000. What I get out of these is less powder, more cost effective practice, cheaper brass, better barrel life, and I only have to dial or hold a couple more mils as the biggest cost.
Everyone will give you a different opinion or suggestion. There are so many options and most are effective. Good luck

I've seen several people reference ELD-M's for hunting purposes. How well do they expand and perform on game? Does the tip initiate expansion like the ELD-X does?

I use the 162gr ELD-X in my 280AI and it's the nuts out as far as 1000M. Last week I took a 40-50 pound piglet at 675yds with it. Rifle is built on a Weatherby Mk-V action and I have a can on it. Great fun to shoot milk jugs at 700yds.

I've seen several people reference ELD-M's for hunting purposes. How well do they expand and perform on game? Does the tip initiate expansion like the ELD-X does?

I use the 162gr ELD-X in my 280AI and it's the nuts out as far as 1000M. Last week I took a 40-50 pound piglet at 675yds with it. Rifle is built on a Weatherby Mk-V action and I have a can on it. Great fun to shoot milk jugs at 700yds.
Doe taken at 525yds yesterday with a 180gr eld-m out of my 7 SS with a MV of 2900fps. Barrel is a 24" proof sendero. Entrance was on the back end of the shoulder absolutely destroying her front right shoulder she had nearly 360 degree movement after. Through both sides of the rib cage and exit. Didn't find the bullet. So can't really say just yet. I took a smaller doe at 378yds two days earlier she was DRT. This one remarkably ran about 20yds and that was it. But yeah the 180gr eld m at 2900 caries some serious energy out to distance. That BC and form factor no doubt seems to be true. Both my kestrel and calculators have been spot on with it.
E328B0E9-D786-4E81-8A75-7CA83967EDC8.jpeg

I do think the SAUM or 7 SS would be the way to go for short action. 180gr ELD-M has a ton of bearing surface though I've not seen many people get them over 2950 with a short action magnum. Granted haven't talked to the WSM crowd. With 59.8gr of RL26 I'm getting 2900fps. But I've hit pressure at 60 and anything above is a right bolt. Could just be my scenario though, others are faring betting in that regard. Thus far i love the 180gr ELD-M and if I'm going true short action I'd go 7 SS still. It just offers a lot of OAL advantages compared to the 7 SAUM and here's a prime example of dads 6.5 SAUM next to my 7 SS.
F0691FB8-3553-4CD3-BB32-255E467E00F1.jpeg

Last edited:
With my customers I steer them to know what is right and what works. Not BS to fatten the checkbook
I do not know you or your works so this is not a reply on your abilities.

BS sells short term, as you know. Long term, sincerity, knowledge, wisdom and hard work grow a business and make it solid.

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.
I am running a 7mm WSM at 3215 fps with the 143 Hammer's out of a 22 in barrel with H1000.