CRAIG BODDINGTON ON 6.5 SST

The suitablility for hunting is about bullet construction, not caliber.

You want a bullet that is going to perform in a worst case scenario, because best case scenarios are scarce.

Long range target calibers would not have such a bad rep if hunters would just use proper hunting bullets, not flimsy match bullets.

Gee-wiz velocity is not necessary for hunting, nor is a BC of 1. Strong bullets and shot placement do the job. You can't do a good job of shot placement from a field position with limited time at ridiculously long range.

By no means am I out to knock any cartridge or caliber...

In matter of fact I am one of those small bullet folks,,, good or bad till I find out with my own hands,,, I'm just coming off a 30 caliber diet,,, so it will be a different ball game... More so finding a bullet that is...

A 10" frozen poplar tree blaster at 80 to 100 yards... Ha...

The best punch threw has been the Nosler 140gr PT's,,, I'll try a 12" to 14" Poplar on today's outing...

Any How,,, the 270 Winchester and it's siblings are some of my favorites too,,, kinda like the old saying...

""" A Inch deep and a mile wide when it comes to all the shooting sports,,, of course we want to dig in our heels in some areas that become a Inch wide and a mile deep.""" Ha

I'll say this,,, when my 6.5 A-square is dust,,, I'll deffinatly give the next cartridge a test drive,,, who knows,,, maybe something like this could be the ticket...

I'm not ruling out other cartridges since I've got some time before that happens...

Goods times fore sure...

:D:D I'd like to meet a lot of you commoners. Some good guys on this forum!
If it weren't for all the support Ive gotten from members, there would be no magazine article, so thanks to all of YOU!
Yeah Rich, don't let a little success go to your head like a few on this very forum have done in the past few years. :eek:

I have changed my way of thinking about Wildcats thanks to Rich. After reading about Sherman Wildcats, I became a big fan. I was going to build a boring 338wm, but now will go with the stellar 338SS Max. I like things that are different and better than "run of the mill" and the SS line is all that. I will build another after I finish this one. Thanks for opening my eyes Elkaholic!

I'm sold on the 6.5 SST. I'm sure the SS is of course even better. I haven't had a rifle and cartridge combo be so easy to load for and be accurate. I'm going to make a shorter barreled version rifle in 6.5 SST in the next year or two.

:D:D I'd like to meet a lot of you commoners. Some good guys on this forum!
If it weren't for all the support Ive gotten from members, there would be no magazine article, so thanks to all of YOU!

Couple summers ago I was down in Newman Lake, didn't realize at the time how close that was to you, next time I'll have to try and stop in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.