6.5 140 Hornady SST

Seated my bullets to fit my mag so they are a bit off the lands (standard Clymer 6.5-06 reamer). However, the bullet is so long that they are fully engraved well before leaving the neck. That is the most important part.

Jerry

Jerry

No i have not. Been busy getting a house done and helped this weekend with a 50cal match. IF all goes well i will do more this coming weekend or should i say i will make time to go out and pull the trigger.Hopefully the wind will be calm and get more definate answers but i don't believe they will be any different.

Jerry,

I got in a box of the 140gr SST's also. Not sure if it's worth loading up and firing them now, though. Took the rifle to a local gunsmith for a look-see thru a borescope; about crapped myself looking at that barrel
frown.gif

Do you think having a rough bore would mess up the testing? I was thinking along the lines of loading up some 142gr SMKs and 139gr Lapua Scenars for comparison, probably over either 38.0gr Varget or 42.2gr H4350 (both good consistent accurate loads w/ 140gr bullets so far), firing 5 of each w/ the chrono close in, then 5 of each w/ the chrono at distance (either 200 or 300yds), run the speeds thru a ballistics program (RSI Shooting Lab) and see what it says.

Just wondering if the nuked throat on the gun would somehow invalidate the testing?

Thanks,

Monte

Matt, look forward to it. If you also get the higher BC numbers, it will keep me from going insane.

Did some shooting while on my hunt and the ability to buck the wind is very good with this bullet.

Please post your drops and compare to the MK and Lapua.

Jerry

Monte, the barrel would not be a problem because all three bullets are seeing the same barrel. The key would be to load each to the same vel or at least close. Then measure the vel again at distance. Plug data in and voila - BC at least for that barrel and conditions.

All we are trying to do is compare relative BC and answer the question "does the SST have a higher BC then the MK and Lapua, and approx how much?"

I have given up looking down my barrels because for the most part, it is depressing. Better to just look at the small groups. I buy less barrels that way.

Jerry

I am working up loads for a 6.5-06 and like this bullet.
Has anyone hit a deer with it at say 500 or beyond? Did it punch through?
One of my pad'nas shot a whitetail with an old .264 mag using a factory 140 at about 600, and it killed the deer but did not punch through. With this interlock, maybe?

Not the best of days to be shooting but what the hell, better than sitting in front of the t.v.

Started out with the 139's. Had a 10-15mph head wind again from 12:00-12:30. I didn't set the Chrony out to check velocity because the wind was suppose to pick up somethin fierce. But from the last couple of times of chronographing them it has been pretty consistant at 2790fps 14ft from muzzle.

I got my 100 yard zero and proceded to check my drops.

200-1.5 moa
300-4 moa
400-7 moa
500-9 moa
660-13 moa
By the time i was ready to shoot and check the 1000 yard drop the wind had started to shift to 1:00 but to shoot the 1000 yard i have to turn slightly to my left which makes the wind coming from 2:00-2:30 at 10-15.

1000-25.5 moa

Cleaned the gun up for shooting the 140's(sst'S) and after getting a 100 yard zero the forcasters were right today , for once.

The wind had picked up to 25-30mph from 12:00-12:30

200-2moa
300-4moa
400-7moa
500-9.5moa
660-13.25moa

The wind was blowing hard and i was shooting by myself and didn't think i wanted to try 1000 and try and spot my hits.

The last loads i had for the 140's were clocked at 2762 at 14ft from the muzzle. I bumped up the charge by a .5grain today. Didn't chrony these either but i am sure this load is close to 2790.
First time doing load work up with these i had a 1.5gr spread at 100 that all three were acceptable so i picked one.

I also shot 4-5 rounds at each distace once i got to the center. Each group averaged 1-1.5 moa out to 1000 and 660(140's). I wish I had saved some 139's to test in the heftier wind to compare but i didn't.

Seems like the calm days are in the middle of the week when it knows i can't get away but i might have to play hookie one of these days to really see what the differance between these two bullets are but i still believe the 140's have a b.c. of .6 or higher. It is not the advertised .5 that hornady says.

I am also thinking of checking the 140's for consistancy to see how they are. They can't be any worse than the sierra's

Matt

Matt, I hope that you can find some nicer weather to shoot in. Still bears that drop is equal or better then the Lapua.

Love to hear more of your experiences with this bullet.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts