Coyote hunting tips

Now that I've dropped 80 lbs you might need to use a pillow . I used to dress as Santa and enjoyed it till one mom called me up and said that I had promised her I would be at her friends house on a certain date at this time . I told her that she must have been talking to someone else as that I had always been at another place out of town on that date and time and knew not to say I would do it then . She called me a few names and cussed at me . I haven't done it since you have to love the little ones the parents sometimes not so much !

Only one percent of the U.S. population goes into the military and of that one percent only about one percent are hunted by the hunters but they all are given a short course in the use of cammo in boot camp for the Army or Marines the Navy and Air Force not so much If they are in position that they may be asked or volunteer to go into the field they will be given a better more comprehensive course on the use of cover and concealment at one time you were given a course in E&E as well escape and evasion . So when you want to know more about the use of cammo clothing and paints study some of their printed materials they are the best at it these days . It was the Game keepers of Europe that started the gilli suit . Check out Carlos Hathcock's account of his mission where he took 3 days to get into shooting range and position for an officer of the NVA . If you don't like to read then watch it on youtube under in his own words ( he is gone now from MS )

If you decide that you want to be good at hunting coyote the best advice I can give you is to keep studying the coyote themselves . You can only learn so much from others as what they really know about it is limited to the amount they have learned . You need to think about all the other things that go into being a good coyote hunter or any type of hunter . We all can and do get lucky with calling coyote , few of us ever get to the point that we want to do more then recreational coyote hunting and that is fine . I have even seen some of the people that were supposed to be doing it for a living that never really became good at it they just went through the motions of it and got by . I have seen those that would only fly for them , or those that would only trap or snare or that only wanted to call that's what they wanted to do and it's fine . I wanted something different for myself I wanted to be good at it all so I could stop the problem coyote as fast as I could for the ranchers and help them stay in business as well as have a sense of satisfaction from doing a good job . And that doesn't happen over night or even a couple of years or by only being there a couple of months a year . You have to put in the time and study to get real good at anything you want to be good at . I read and listen to people that say things that don't apply to my area but I know that because I have studied the coyote in my area and still do so . In Reemty's area he has a lot of coyote that over lap territories . In geo's area his range 40 miles . In my area there aren't a lot of coyote numbers but they only have a range of maybe 5 square miles for a pair and with the openness of my country they can hear me at the far end of their range as I can here them at the far end of their range . What works for Reemty and Goe may or may not work for you or me but it may well be a good starting place for others to try . Not one thing about coyote is cut in stone today they may come to this sound set at the highest volume and the next day they won't come to any thing you try , loud or quiet . And that is why some of us never tire of hunting them .

Dave, Right out of Jeremiah Johnson " You come far Pilgrim, you have come far"...……..remember that when he was sitting there high up in the mountains and they didn't know what month it was?
I have done all the rifle/shotgun side I can, calling, tracking stalking.....but my buddy that skins them, he has been trapping and snaring since he was a kid.....he can tell you in our area what works on that and I can give you a good idea how a coyote reacts "most times" nothing is set in stone.....but I sure like to listen to him tell story's/experience's same as all of you on here...…….only edge ol Dave has got on us is he is twice as old and spent 4 times the time 😂🤣☝️🤝 I had to exaggerate the age one a wee bit...…...You have started some excellent threads Dave and I have learned a lot from you and others on this website 🤝👍...…..my opinion is if a guy can consistently sneak on a coyote and hit that small target, deer/elk are a layup...……..coyotes are the practice that makes us better at everything else.

Dave, Right out of Jeremiah Johnson " You come far Pilgrim, you have come far"...……..remember that when he was sitting there high up in the mountains and they didn't know what month it was?
I have done all the rifle/shotgun side I can, calling, tracking stalking.....but my buddy that skins them, he has been trapping and snaring since he was a kid.....he can tell you in our area what works on that and I can give you a good idea how a coyote reacts "most times" nothing is set in stone.....but I sure like to listen to him tell story's/experience's same as all of you on here...…….only edge ol Dave has got on us is he is twice as old and spent 4 times the time 😂🤣☝️🤝 I had to exaggerate the age one a wee bit...…...You have started some excellent threads Dave and I have learned a lot from you and others on this website 🤝👍...…..my opinion is if a guy can consistently sneak on a coyote and hit that small target, deer/elk are a layup...……..coyotes are the practice that makes us better at everything else.
"Feel's like far"

I hope to never stop learning from others two legged or four . They tell me it gets easer with time as you can learn the same thing in a day or two that you just learned LOL ! March maybe not May I don't believe . And I like to share what I have experienced with the hopes that others may benefit from it as well .

I like 10x50 binos someone liked my spotting scope more then me so I made a base for a leupold 8.5x25 scope that mounts it to my truck window or a tri pod . I seldom start calling till I've looked the area over well usually not less then 10 mins. after I get set up and ready and often more like 15-20 min. It depends on the situation on weather I will even try to call some coyote I may do like Reemty and spot and stalk them or set up to ambush them when they are traveling in to kill . The time of year , the reason I'm there , how many others have tried to kill them , have they been flown for . Do I need to set snares for them , are they living close to where I have to stop them or are they traveling in to kill , what does their sign say to me , how many and what sex are they is it a pair male and female with pups , or do I have two males or two females running together or do I have a dry pair . There is so much that I need to figure out not being out there just as a recreational caller . If I were just doing recreational calling I would try to at least look the calling area over one weekend with out making any stands then go back and do my calling after that so I at least had a good idea of what was over this hill or was there a draw over there that would be better then this ridge line . where is the water supply , the bedding areas , the hunting areas where would they most likely den if it's that time of the year . I will run in dry if I'm called to kill some that are killing but then google earth is my friend so I can at least have a look at the lay of the land . Is that the stuff you were asking about geo4061 ?

Yes thanks. Things have really changed down here. You use to be able to hunt like ya'll where the terrain allowed. Now you would go to jail. People do not want you or anyone else on their property. It has become increasing harder every day to get permission even for hogs and coyotes. So we work hard at finding a place to hunt and those places are usually small. So not much glassing. I have a 4x4 golf cart that I use to help get around scouting. I use to walk but the wheels don't work like they use to. So for me it's scouting and locating. Then move in and find your sets. Let things cool then "get to calling." I get most within a few feet so I have a 12 gauge that does the finishing.

Last edited: