Coyote hunting tips

Often in my area they make a loop coming in one way and leaving another , but then my country is quite open so they will hit one draw coming in and one draw going out .

I don't know what they do in my area, because I can't get them to do anything. I just got back to my truck after making set after set since about 2, and nothing. Tracks everywhere, fresh scat. I'm following all of the rules, and they just aren't showing up.

Does anyone have any golf clubs for sale?

I don't know what they do in my area, because I can't get them to do anything. I just got back to my truck after making set after set since about 2, and nothing. Tracks everywhere, fresh scat. I'm following all of the rules, and they just aren't showing up.

Does anyone have any golf clubs for sale?
I might be interested in selling my clubs to you , I don't know how to use them very well either , just like my Coyote calls .

But , I have a lot of fun in both endeavors !!!!!!

DMP25-06

Slow Down! Are you hitting the same places over and over? Bad mistake. Did you revisit what you did wrong yesterday? You had three that winded you. Did you wash everything including yourself in a scent free soap. I even clean the oil off my firearm and clean my boots and wash my hat. Plus try a scent cover up like Dead Down Wind. Then take time to study your sets. Use like a tank dam, busy road, or heavy cover to cover your back then make sure you can cover your down wind. If you can't, don't turn on the call.

Last edited:
Slow Down! Are you hitting the same places over and over? Bad mistake. Did you revisit what you did wrong yesterday? You had three that winded you. Did you wash everything including yourself in a scent free soap. I even clean the oil off my firearm and clean my boots and wash my hat. Plus try a scent cover up like Dead Down Wind. Then take time to study your sets. Use like a tank dam, busy road, or heavy cover to cover your back then make sure you can cover your down wind. If you can't, don't turn on the call.
Oh man, I've got a hundred different spots. I was hunting an area of public land today that I've never hunted before. It was last year's clear cut, thousands of acres of it. It rained like hell a few nights ago, so I was looking at tracks from the last 2 nights. I take scent control very seriously, so I was in fresh clothes that I wash in a scent control detergent, and I always spray down with scent control before I leave my truck. I have 3 bottles floating around the bed of my truck from deer season. I walked 4 miles out, set up about a mile apart, sitting on the Lee side of a hill with the wind either in my face or a quarter value crosswind, while I called down into a creek bottom. There is an elevation difference of 100-200ft from where I sat and the creek itself. I sat with my back to a logging road, probably 10-20 yards down the hill from the road bed.

It is possible that the area has been called repeatedly, it is public land.

I don't hit the same area within a week if I can help it. I've got a dozen farms to hunt and the list keeps growing. I just have to figure out why they aren't coming in.

The three that busted me yesterday were because the wind switched 180° as soon as I started calling. I should have just walked out, but I'm getting desperate. I've never gone so long without success.

So will you take us through what your usual calling stand is like ? Not one of us can help you if we don't know what it is that you are doing . Are you cautious on your way to where you call , is your truck loud , is it parked out of sight of your stand , do you slip into where you are going to make your stand ? Do you set up so that you aren't sky lined ? Do you move around a lot at your stand ? What kind of sounds are you using ? Do you have the volume too high ? Do you use the same sounds over and over ? Do you always start with the same routine , such as I always start with a howl I don't but have been told that by some people ? Are you hitting the same stands over and over ? Is it breading season in your area ? Do you or anybody around you smoke? Are your clothes that you hunt in clean and pretty much odor free ? Do you have any thing that is shinny and glints if it moves walking into your stand or while there ? Do you have anything that rattles when you are walking or at your stand . Is the wind at your back or coming toward you from the area you are calling into ? Is the sun in your favor or theirs ? How long have you been trying to call just this year or for some time like a couple three years ? How many other people are there that are calling your same area ? Are you setting up with a backing or just out in the open ? These are just a few of the things that will cause you to have problems when calling coyote . Coyote are the hunters and make their living by being super tuned into their environment ! Think about it as if the coyote could shoot you if they catch you and do your best to not be caught by them .

I do want to run my current calling sequence by you guys though, and let me know what you would change, or what you think is wrong with it. At times I've used my sequences with great success, but I'm snakebit now for some reason..

So if I sat down right now, I sit for about 10 minutes without calling once I get there. I spend that time with my binos in my hand and I let my decoy spin, just in case something is looking. Them I'll start with a preset of a distress sound at just under half volume. Typically I'll let it run for maybe 45 seconds, then shut it off. I'll wait at least 5 minutes, and then give that same distress for 2 or 3 minutes, and I might increase the volume a little if the wind is high or if I'm looking over big country. Then wait 3-5 minutes. I may do a third distress, or open with a female coyote yodel howl, maybe 2 or 3 howls, and wait 2-3 minutes. I'll play a deep female coyote howl or something similar 1-2 minutes with 2 or 3 minutes between each. Wait a few minutes, and play a male coyote howl, wait again, and create a fight, so then I'll play a male growling for 45 seconds or so, then straight into dog brawl which I will play for about 60 seconds and immediately into pup distress which I will leave on for as long as 5 minutes. Then I go silent for at least 10 minutes and watch. Then, dejected and downtrodden I pick up my stuff and mope to the next stand.

Nah, my truck is quiet. 2020 ram with factory everything.. it's a hemi, but it's quiet. I creep in driving maybe 5mph and open and shut the doors as quietly as humanly possible. I park as far away as I can. My first stand was more than a half mile from where I parked, and way out of sight. I also move very slowly, so it was almost an hour from the time I left my truck until I turned the call on..

So many questions, and I appreciate the help, thank you. I've been at this off and on for 30 years. My father was a master predator caller. He made his living selling furs in Alaska for almost a decade in the 70's until the market fell apart. I had a great teacher, but I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. He died of cancer in 2007 so there will be no questions answered there. Nobody in my home smokes, the only shiny thing on me is about 6" of matte stainless barrel, but it is pretty dull. I always lay my sunglasses on the ground behind me. I set up my rifle on a primos trigger stick bipod, I sit on a foam padd on the ground, I don't skyline myself, except where traveling requires. I move as silently as possible to get in there. I was a US army sniper, so my understanding of camouflage and concealment is above average, as well as my ability to hide in plain sight.

I hope you guys see a problem with my calling sequence, because that is about the only part of my setup that I don't have confidence in..

It seems to me that your sequence is quite busy . My self I would start by not using so many different sounds . I would park my truck in a low spot , with the sun to my back I would walk in to my stand using low ground as much as posable set up with a backing or such . I would leave my E-caller at home and go to hand held calls for a while , there are way to many people using them and for this time of year I would think they have been abused plenty by now . This time of the year is breading season in most parts of the U.S. so the coyote are most often quiet and not so vocal so I wouldn't use much that would sound aggressive to them . Right about now for me I would get to my stand set and look over the country in front of me without the binos reflections from the lens's if you don't have the anti reflection covers on your's set quietly for at least 10 min. then do just one lone long howl . Watch for 2 or 3 min. and do 2 howls two barks and one howl . So then the one howl says hay I'm here are you listening wake up . Then the two howls two barks and one howl says any body out there that wants to visit . I would then wait for 3-4 min and do the howls and barks howl again with the same pause and do that same thing for up to 30 min . By now the coyote have heard about every destress sound man can make with machines and hand calls . I find that I need to change with the time of the year and think about what has gone on with them so far . Those series of calls I just described will be ok till mid June in most areas then they will be burned out on them and I won't use them again till Jan. or Feb . . The prey destress sounds will be burned out by Dec. Some where in May or early June then the fawn blats will start to do ok . I will use puppy sounds from late April to mid June and not use them again till next year . You were trained to use your head to survive adapt and change to the needs as they arose and that is what you are needing to do now learn what are the sounds that are common to this time of the year , don't call too much with too many sounds at one stand , don't get stuck in a rut and use the same sounds all the time , don't use the sounds that aren't in season now and don't abuse the E-callers . You know repetition would get you killed as a sniper it will kill your chances as a coyote caller . Brown water was where it was for me I learned a lot from the guys they never did the same thing two times in a row till they knew it wouldn't be expected of them . Learn from your opponents observe them study them they will tell you what their weakness's are so then you can take full advantage of them . An old trapper and coyote killer from years ago told me don't abuse any of the tools in your tool box use them sparingly don't abuse the dammed things or your only fooling yourself they will learn and avoid you . I believe him to this day it has proven true . Best of luck to you .

It seems to me that your sequence is quite busy . My self I would start by not using so many different sounds . I would park my truck in a low spot , with the sun to my back I would walk in to my stand using low ground as much as posable set up with a backing or such . I would leave my E-caller at home and go to hand held calls for a while , there are way to many people using them and for this time of year I would think they have been abused plenty by now . This time of the year is breading season in most parts of the U.S. so the coyote are most often quiet and not so vocal so I wouldn't use much that would sound aggressive to them . Right about now for me I would get to my stand set and look over the country in front of me without the binos reflections from the lens's if you don't have the anti reflection covers on your's set quietly for at least 10 min. then do just one lone long howl . Watch for 2 or 3 min. and do 2 howls two barks and one howl . So then the one howl says hay I'm here are you listening wake up . Then the two howls two barks and one howl says any body out there that wants to visit . I would then wait for 3-4 min and do the howls and barks howl again with the same pause and do that same thing for up to 30 min . By now the coyote have heard about every destress sound man can make with machines and hand calls . I find that I need to change with the time of the year and think about what has gone on with them so far . Those series of calls I just described will be ok till mid June in most areas then they will be burned out on them and I won't use them again till Jan. or Feb . . The prey destress sounds will be burned out by Dec. Some where in May or early June then the fawn blats will start to do ok . I will use puppy sounds from late April to mid June and not use them again till next year . You were trained to use your head to survive adapt and change to the needs as they arose and that is what you are needing to do now learn what are the sounds that are common to this time of the year , don't call too much with too many sounds at one stand , don't get stuck in a rut and use the same sounds all the time , don't use the sounds that aren't in season now and don't abuse the E-callers . You know repetition would get you killed as a sniper it will kill your chances as a coyote caller . Brown water was where it was for me I learned a lot from the guys they never did the same thing two times in a row till they knew it wouldn't be expected of them . Learn from your opponents observe them study them they will tell you what their weakness's are so then you can take full advantage of them . An old trapper and coyote killer from years ago told me don't abuse any of the tools in your tool box use them sparingly don't abuse the dammed things or your only fooling yourself they will learn and avoid you . I believe him to this day it has proven true . Best of luck to you .
Thank you so much, I will apply as much of that as I can. So much good information there.

There are so many good coyote hunters on this site and I think that you will find for the most part they have learned most of it from the coyote telling them what not to do and by not doing what most people in their area are doing . I started a topic awhile back called Ramblings and such from hunting coyote many have contributed to it there is much to be learned from others on this site by just thinking about what it is that they share in their talking about what they have done wrong and what they have done right in their hunting of the coyote . There are literally several life times of good very useful information to look through and digest being shared by good people here for those of us that can't seem to ever be satisfied with the amount of knowledge that we have .

The reason you wait so long is that it takes them awhile to get into position and look things over before they will commit to letting you know where they are and then maybe decide if they want to come visit or kick you out of their home range . During breading season you will have them setting up a home range to have and raise their pups in . At first they are playful and form a bond between the pair so they yip and yap chase each other around making all kinds of low volume sounds . Then they mate and become quiet as they don't want other coyote in their area , they don't want to chance loosing their home or puppies . after the pups are born they will stay quiet but be on the fight for the first weeks . You will often hear one lone howl that is deep toned then one higher pitched reply howl . after a few minutes you will hear another lone low pitched howl from a different location and the higher pitched howl from the same location . The male is letting mom know he' s coming home and she is giving him the ok to come on in . Once they get together at the den you will hear them yipping and yapping in greetings . Latter when the pups are older but still at the den they will give a morning howl session when the parents come home . At this time of the year often the coyote are quiet and don't say much other then first thing in the morning at at last light . but they will come to kick butt if they think you are another coyote in their area but at the same time they won't cross over another coyotes boundary lines but will stay in theirs barking and making short howls , marking their lines kicking back ect. . If you are too close to the den they will do the barking short howls and go out into the open to display them selves and try to decoy the intruder out of the den area .