Coyote hunting tips

Don't get in a rush to throw your Fox Pro down and crank it up. I try to pattern them. There are a lot of sounds on your Fox Pro you can use to get them howling. I also put out trail cameras on private land. Learn as much as you can then make your set at the right time and place.

Sounds like you are scouting,however, part of that scouting is LOCATING. Listen at night right at dark and day light. Use the locating sounds on your ecaller. Find'm then wait 30 minutes. Stalk in and start your set.

that was me Geo, actually it was the last 3 females...…..2 were spot and stalk, approached the second pair with in 170 yards, mating behavior, chasing barks, shoot the female first, bark stop the male and kill him also..On Saturday we called in a pair, she was in heat also...used female challenge at first, then went to a breeding hunt on my lucky duck...…..took 15 minutes for the male to come in and he circled within 60 yards, was behind a hill, caught wind and ran straight away, buddy rolled him with his .204, I immediately hit coyote barks and the female came out of the brush straight in front of us, stood at 224 yards and I ka-powed her...…..DRT the next day my buddies went farther up toward the mountain near the base and "cat nipped" called the pair we saw on the day before stand, 2 miles away....they killed that pair also. This is an area where calling was probably non-existent so far this year. 15 minutes later, after they killed the pair of coyotes, they were still calling and a pair of ferel dogs came in and they got them also...…….

Last edited:
last year up on the mountain, that they were hunting the draws coming off it...…..they saw 5 feral dogs chasing bighorn sheep, there are some volcanic buttes on the side of the mountain that are sheer cliffs and the dogs had 100 or so sheep up there, running all around it trying to find a way at them...…..my buddies were 2 miles away but they could tell there were German Sheppard type mutts in the 5 in their spotting scope. the coyotes we shot on Saturday the female had a wound 3" long above her tail and the male they shot Sunday had a wound on his neck, figured they had been fighting with the dogs...both wounds deep into the muscle……..just a guess

Doing control work I used a lot of fence line snares this time of the year . It was over 30 years that I had equipment out all year round and only took maybe 10 - 15 days a year off from hunting coyote . That is how I like to deal with hard to call coyote . The guys would let me know a day or two before hand if they were going to fly and I wasn't gunning , so that I could get my snares set up and ready . I've watched the squirters run from the plane and chopper right into snares now that is interesting to see they will use up 8 feet of snare cable before you can get to them .

Well it is now that's why young people mistake me for the big guy from out of the north . When I was young it was auburn and blended well with the ground and rocks in my area . But it was mostly that I liked it as well as it afforded protection from the sun , wind and weather hot or cold . When your out hunting with a clean shaven friend look at how their face shows up even at a distance unless they wear a screen mash covering or know how to properly apply cammo paint , light where there should be shadows , eyes ect. and dark where there should be light areas , cheeks nose back of the neck ears , ect. . I watch some of the guys on hunting shows and have to smile at their attempt to apply cammo paint black all over .