Counter sniper optics?

10x50? I can only imagine the optical clarity at 50x. As far as the "military overrun" I would have to.assume the third world country that ordered it quickly cancelled their order after receiving the first one.

I am planning on using this rifle for extreme hunting and target shooting. I would like to get into shooting in excess of a mile. I want a scope with plenty of magnification. Probably around 30x or above. Large main tube diameter, 50mm+ objective, illuminated Ranging/ Mil-Dot reticle, high range of MOA adjustments. I know that eliminates a lot. I am looking at nightforce but I can't find many scopes similar. Any suggestions ?

Hunting and target shooting are two diff things. For a hunting scope, it's good to have some low, low-end magnification for closer shots in case you encounter them and you will probably encounter more short range opportunities than long range unless you specifically set up for long range shots. The vast majority of game taken by members in these forums is less than 400 yds. Acquiring game with the small FOV of higher powers is very challenging in the field. One other advantage of lower power is it helps to mitigate mirage.

For target shooting, the higher power the better (except in heavy mirage conditions), assuming you get good resolution and clarity with it. For target shooting, such as BR, you are typically shooting from a bench at non moving targets at known distances. Completely diff shooting conditions vs hunting.

Typically, competition target shooting does not exceed 1000 yds and typically you will not get a good shot on game past 1000 yds depending on your hunting opportunities and access. If I ever take a shot on game at 1K or farther, everything is going to be just right with minimal to no wind.... a very uncommon set of circumstances in Montana. Wolves and coyotes is a diff story :)

Typically, when shooting to and beyond a mile, you will not be hunting or target shooting. You will be shooting at rocks and maybe steel.

Based on the above, my recommendation is the NF ACTAR, an excellent scope for the $$$$ and close to what you're hoping to pay. It has 120 MOA of adjustment and if you can find a 50 MOA base you can get about 105 to 110 MOA of up adjuctment. It has an excellent power range, although not ideal for LR target shooting.

I am convinced that the Night force scope is the way to go. I am curious to know if the NXS has sufficient adjustment or if I need to go with the Atacr. Any incite on how much adjustment will be needed for the 375 CT to reach its potential ranges?

A standard NXS will have sufficient adjustment for 1 mile shooting and more. The ACTAR will get you to 3K with a 50 MOA base and a good rifle and load like the one in this thread... although the targets in this video "only" go to 2050....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/375-ceb-350-gsc-414-2050-yards-118955/

To shoot the 425 CEB's you will need a gain twist to 1:7 1/2"

Watch and learn.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTca3wF35Og]SNIPER 101 Part 14 - Scopes for Extreme Long Range Shooting - Rex Reviews - YouTube[/ame]

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.