Cotton Ball With Ashes Fire Starter - No Match Needed

If one desires to make your own much cheaper water proof matches, simply place regular kitchen matches in Turpentine for 5 minutes then place on a paper towel for 20 minutes to dry. Then, fill an old plastic pill bottles with the matches with heads facing down. Cut the striker strip from the match box, fold in half with striker side facing itself so there is no accidental ignition, place into the pill bottle with matches, then place some drier lint on the top to keep things tight and for quick starting fires.

Many prefer to keep water/wind proof matches in their fire kits, for some butane type lighters do no work well in very cold or very wet conditions. Under extreme cold, placing the lighter in an interior pocket close to your body can warm it enough to make it work for short periods.

Last edited:
If one desires to make your own much cheaper water proof matches, simply place regular kitchen matches in Turpentine for 5 minutes then place on a paper towel for 20 minutes to dry. Then, fill an old plastic pill bottles with the matches with heads facing down. Cut the striker strip from the match box, fold in half with striker side facing itself so there is no accidental ignition, place into the pill bottle with matches, then place some drier lint on the top to keep things tight and for quick starting fires.

Many prefer to keep water/wind proof matches in their fire kits, for some butane type lighters do no work well in very cold or very wet conditions. Under extreme cold, placing the lighter in an interior pocket close to your body can warm it enough to make it work for short periods.
That would work fine with the exception of these everyday, kitchen strike anywhere, matches just about require a blow torch to get them to ignite. LOL!!

That would work fine with the exception of these everyday, kitchen strike anywhere, matches just about require a blow torch to get them to ignite. LOL!!
I agree. I still have a few boxes of the old Diamond white tip matches, but these newer ones are terrible. There are other brands that are better, but they are more costly and usually, they have to be ordered online.

Anybody see this and or tried it? Its been around but just had a discussion with friend on fire starters.

Soooo.....a lady goes to the drugstore to get her Firestarter....says to the Pharmacist
..Sir..do you have cotton balls....Pharmacist replies....Lady what the Hell do you think I am..a Teddy Bear?

If you take Cottonballs and work petroleum jelly into them they make amazingly good tinder. Just one will burn long enough to get damp material burnin. But a lighter or other method to get it burning. Carry the cotton balls in a zip lock.
This is what I use. I carry a flint and steel as my last ditch to use with cottonball and petroleum jelly. I occasionally will practice starting a fire with this method after soaking hands in ice bath or when it's really cold outside and I want a fire. Hands don't work as well when they are cold so I I learned to practice in same type of situations where it matters. Not easy running flint and steel with numb hands or big gloves.

Its kind of an aw crap last save your butt. Put some cotton in prescription bottle. Ashes in small ziplock. Last ditch before find body since my Bic lighter and all my other fire starters are lost.
Cotton in a ziplock is a good idea...folds easier but why not just use the ashes.....from last night's fire! 🤣😎🤣

Like when ya pull out one of those old wood piling on a dock,and it's Longleaf Virgin Pine. BuckN em up into fatwood or lighter wood for kindling. Smells just like turpentine, light with just a match and 10 seconds later, got a fire.