Cotton Ball With Ashes Fire Starter - No Match Needed

That is a very slick trick. I'm going to try this with my mother in laws ashes. Just hope they are not so cold that they put the fire out.
You do realize you have to touch the "ashes"? I am not sure I would want to wander down that paranormal path? Payback might be waiting to regenerate? Scary stuff my friend! 😱

In my left pocket is a bic lighter and one of those aluminum vials with a compass on the lid. Double o rings seal. Match striker under bottom of lid, and knurled on the outside for striking. I have used the knurling to scrape wood for tinder shavings. Inside are 3 windproof match bundles of 3 each held together with paraffin which also coats the matches for moisture protection and will help the matches burn longer and hotter. Also there's a small fercerrium rod and dryer lint (needs to be from drying cotton towels, no poly or nylon). EDC unless I'm flying.
when I'm backpacking, there's two more bics in pack with a ziplock containing cotton balls and vaseline.

Been wet and shivering too many times over the years, even in summer in the Deep South

Last edited:
I always carry at least 2 Bics. Plus strikers. If they don't work, I have small emergency backpack flares that will start fire anywhere. If they don't work, curl up.
When I used to canoe camp or hike I always had a railroad flare with us (Boy Scouts). I also had the magnesium fire starters and a couple of my wife's Tampons. (they are in a water proof package and are all cotton. [Not really good if they get wet for women :eek:])

If a guy gets stranded on a hunt away from camp without matches, making a fire could be a lifesaver. Just use multitool pliers, always on the belt, to pull a bullet out of ur rifle cartridge and revolver cartridge. Pour the powder on the kindling. Put the empty back in ur 45, fire the primer point blank on the powder. ya got a fire going!

Anybody see this and or tried it? Its been around but just had a discussion with friend on fire starters.

Yes, it, and several others, are old survival tricks we were taught decades ago. You can use cotton, lint, some plant fibers, etc and not only ashes, but rust will work also. Before the mil, I read a lot of wilderness survival books, practiced around the farm and country, learned a few things from my WWII dad, and after entering the mil, I went through a SERE course.

In my hunting and hiking waste pack, I carry cotton, 0000 steel wool, 9V battery, magnesium flakes, water/wind proof matches, lighter and a few other assorted fire starting paraphernalia.

Last edited:
I have had the unhappy experience of being in a severe snowstorm with winds in excess of fifty mph. (Not my guess, NOAA confirmed later in the day). It caught us on the mountain very fast with a falling temperature. Our butane lighters did not work because of the cold. My friend with his traffic flare fire starters, was on the other side of the valley hunkered down under a big blowdown.
I now carry one of those fancy pezio lighters with petroleum jelly infused cotton balls in a small plastic bottle. Of course I haven't had the chance again (thankfully) to try them in severe weather but they sure light easy in the backyard!
Well I watched the video. It is a lot harder to find a flat, DRY rock and a flat DRY anything in three feet of snow with more snow blowing in sideways hard enough that you can barely see your hands.

Last edited:
Most of us who hunt and camp carry a lighter and a compass if not buy a few realy cheep compasses and keep some extra ones with you because all compasses are suspended in white fuel bust one open pour on kindling and set afire by striker or lighter of course save one compass to get the hell back to camp.👻