Cost of new Rem Arms 700's

cohunt

So-- I have a question

Remington used to sell 700 adl rifles through wally world for just above $400 for the rifle/cheap *** China scope combo.

Prices on rifles in general have gone up since covid/Brandon so it's hard to project pricing ---- BUT I see that the new "RemArms" has a few 700's coming out in the market and they appear to be a few hundred dollars more than pre covid/Brandon prices.

1st question-- do you think the new RemArms will stay with those higher prices and hopefully higher qc?

2nd -- do you think the new RemArms will sell "special lower priced 700adl rifles" to big box stores like Walmart again?

I have no clear insight into what will be the new normal or RemArms new focus/strategy. Time will reveal the answers to both questions. It just feels different this time around. I just have an aversion for some of the big box stores for firearms. If you know exactly what you want and they have it in stock, there's nothing wrong with purchasing it there I guess. If you are looking for any input or questions answered before purchasing, good luck with that.

I have no idea what he new asking price will be but here is a very successful strategy I have used to buy several in the last couple of years:
"I like this, how much?"
$2000
"You have any food for it?"
no
"Its worthless without ammo. If I buy it I will have to try and find some. We all know I may or may not be able to locate ammo."
True. But I can order some and it may be here before hunting season
"And it might not"
"I will give you $1700 for the rifle and take a chance on being able to find ammo"
Deal

Guys and Gals if you are not doing this right now you are leaving money on the table.

I don't believe Remington wants to, can, or should compete with the 700 as the price leader at Wal-mart. See the Snapper story with Wal-mart. I suspect the new prices are simply what they need to charge to exist.

Make an improved 700. Basically exactly what a Christensen Arms is. Side bolt stop, M-16 extractor, etc. etc. Tighten up the tolerances. I'd be willing to pay a few hundred more for that. Will the average consumer, ehh, I don't know.

I was enjoying the $300 RR prefix bare actions. For $300, they were pretty good.

ETA: Do I care if Remington continues to exist. Not really. You can buy everything you want or need aftermarket to build a 700 clone and it will be better. Actions, stocks, barrels, triggers, bottom metal. Not cheaper, but better.

The $400 wally world rifles were good deals for donar actions or entry level shooters/hunters-- buy gun for $400-- sell scope for $25, sell stock for $50, sell trigger for $50 sell brand new take off barrel for $100--- I could never find a new 700 action/bolt for $175 anywhere else.

I actually have a wally world 700adl that was on sale for $375 in 270w that stayed stock as its a tackdriver.

I know some of the qc fell below expectations for the old remington-- I'm hoping the new RemAms can hold this to a higher standard and bring the quality, consistency, and accuracy back at reasonable prices.

I have seen new RemArms 700s for sale on the net but have no experience or knowledge of their quality yet.

I have not seen any big box store models since before the pandemic. They sold for around $379 at my wally world and Academy had the same thing for the same price without the useless scope. I actually bought one at wally world for $275 a few years ago on clearance. I wish I had bought everyone they had. Dicks before they went anti-gun had a couple of nice big box store 700 models that I wish I had bought. They had a stainless and a varmint. That being said, I imagine its going to be several years if ever before we see any on the shelves. I assume all of those contracts were null and void after the bankruptcy and would have to be renegotiated. As mentioned above, they may not want to produce them anymore even though I imagine it was a great way to get rid of parts that did not meet the standards of the more expensive models. When I hear people complaining about how cheap rem 700's have gotten, I get the feeling that they are talking about the $379 walmart version. I have 5 non box store rem 700's including 2 pss's and an lss and I have no idea what they are talking about. The wally world 700 I bought is not of the same quality as my non big box store models. The only thing I can figure is that people are expecting the big box store models to be of the same quality as their $800 and up models or someone sold them a wally world 700 and did not tell them. Its like complaining that the 870 express isn't of the same quality as the the 870 wingmaster.

I imagine the price of rem 700's would have gone up regardless of the pandemic and the current political situation because of the bankruptcy, restructuring, and new business strategy.

It's too early to tell how RemArms will market the 700s. The oid box store ADLs were great rifles for $400 but certainly not the equivalent of the higher end rifles. The difference primarily being in the quality of the stocks and the lack of hinged floor plate bottom metal. Those changes were worth upwards of $200 to $300 in 2012. Accuracy wise I will put my ADL 223 Varmint from Dicks up against any Rem 700. But to get the accuracy it required a new stock and trigger.

The latter Remington rifles prior to the bankruptcy were having quality issues which RemArms has to address. Hopefully they will also address the inconsistency issues with the XMarkPro triggers.

Considering Remington actions today used are around 450-550.00 on the forums. Pretty much means if Remington offers there new adl/sps type rifles for 750.00, it's about right for what actions sell for. A new take off action (to me) is worth 450-550 today. I paid 400-435.00 for one from Remington new in box before this BS started. I'd think today 500-550 is a deal for one.

The new 700 sps seem to be around $575-600

They also show they will be producing the 783 still...looks to be in the $375-400 range. I hope the qc of the 783 comes up drastically-- I know of more than a few that were junk in my eyes, but I know some people had good ones too. It was too hit or miss on the qc to take a gamble though