Copper removal from used gun

Absolutely! It starts out an orange color when you spray it in and turns blue from copper. So if you let it soak, patch it out, and apply it a 2nd time and it doesn't change color, it's pretty clean. Keep in mind, it's not fast fast fast like ammonia based cleaners, but it's great for a few hours or overnight applications.

That works for me. Thanks.
You're very welcome. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

I have never had a fouling that KG Copper cleaner did not get out.
If you have a chamber brush use it.Chamber brush is shorter than a cleaning rod,about 18 inches long.If not use the shortest rod you have and clean from the muzzle with a brush soaked with KG copper remover and let it sit then hit it again with brush with short strokes and I bet it comes out.
I have nearly everything made to clean copper and carbon and have nothing that works as well as KG products.
Wipe-out is great for carbon,Montana Extreme works but not as fast as KG.
I just got SEAL complete gun care products and it works too but not as fast but it is the best smelling cleaner I have ever used.They are the makers of Seal Skinz.
Give the KG another try

Rflshootr,
Firing a gun with an oily bore creates greater bolt thrust. It increases pressure.
Firing a gun with an oily bore AND chamber CAN lock a rifle bolt SOLID.
It will not increase wear in a barrel, as it is the gasses that do this, not the bullet travelling down it.
I do not know if a cold bore shot with an OILY barrel is slower, have NEVER deliberately shot a rifle with oil in the barrel, did ONCE with one of my 25-06's, blew a primer and locked it solid. Case had the deepest ejector swipe I have ever seen.

Cheers.

Rflshootr,
Firing a gun with an oily bore creates greater bolt thrust. It increases pressure.
Firing a gun with an oily bore AND chamber CAN lock a rifle bolt SOLID.
It will not increase wear in a barrel, as it is the gasses that do this, not the bullet travelling down it.
I do not know if a cold bore shot with an OILY barrel is slower, have NEVER deliberately shot a rifle with oil in the barrel, did ONCE with one of my 25-06's, blew a primer and locked it solid. Case had the deepest ejector swipe I have ever seen.

Cheers.
And I'll figure that was with a standard pressure load and just a normal thin coat of oil. Ok shoot your bore dry......it's your rifle.

And I'll figure that was with a standard pressure load and just a normal thin coat of oil. Ok shoot your bore dry......it's your rifle.
Doubt it all you like. That was fired with the Pressure Trace attached to the barrel. In my hast to get things going I forgot to run a patch through the barrel. Yes, the load was a normal load. No other round showed a pressure excursion and the one in question had oil ALL OVER IT.
Keep firing bullets down your bore with oil in it. Have fun. When you get lug set-back and galled lugs….you'll know why.

Cheers.

@Rflshootr I shoot mainly competition mid/long range these days and run a lot of rounds down the bore so I clean very often. I always dry patch out any oils from the bore before shooting. My barrels in my most used comp rifle (7 Sherman Short) with a 190 get over 1800rds of top level match precision. The only reason to leave oil in a bore, in my opinion, is for corrosion prevention; when doing this on a barrel that gets mothballed for a while I always dry patch the bore before firing. That being said I have made first shots with a very light coat of thin oil (Kroil) to no detriment. Oil in the chamber though can be a big problem as MM mentions.

Maybe I missed it, but have you shot the gun yet?
I have not. I work full time and just bought the rifle and wanted to clean it before I shot it so I knew what I was starting with and could see how it was going to clean up after shooting a known number of shots.

@Rflshootr I shoot mainly competition mid/long range these days and run a lot of rounds down the bore so I clean very often. I always dry patch out any oils from the bore before shooting. My barrels in my most used comp rifle (7 Sherman Short) with a 190 get over 1800rds of top level match precision. The only reason to leave oil in a bore, in my opinion, is for corrosion prevention; when doing this on a barrel that gets mothballed for a while I always dry patch the bore before firing. That being said I have made first shots with a very light coat of thin oil (Kroil) to no detriment. Oil in the chamber though can be a big problem as MM mentions.
I never said in any post that I shot an oily chamber. If you read what I posted, you'll see that I Always said a Light coat of oil in the BORE......never saturated to the point of dripping. I've been loading and shooting for 50+ years and NEVER have I galled a lug or stuck a bolt. I've hot rodded a 22x6Rem and a 6x284 Win to the point where I'd get 3 firings out of a case before the primer pockets went....4000 fps plus, and still never locked a bolt up and they all started with a thin coat of oil in the bore. Do as you wish and so will I. And btw, do you think that running a dry patch through the bore removes all the oil or leaves a light coating?

Last edited:
Doubt it all you like. That was fired with the Pressure Trace attached to the barrel. In my hast to get things going I forgot to run a patch through the barrel. Yes, the load was a normal load. No other round showed a pressure excursion and the one in question had oil ALL OVER IT.
Keep firing bullets down your bore with oil in it. Have fun. When you get lug set-back and galled lugs….you'll know why.

Cheers.
Just because you screwed up being in a hurry and had WAY too much oil in the bore AND chamber, doesn't mean that you shouldn't pre-condition the bore with a light coat of oil....maybe you should be a bit more careful with what you do and pay closer attention to details.

Okay gentlemen play nice. I appreciate all the feedback and input for my situation. I always use a light coat of oil in the bore and am careful to not get any in the chamber. Mistakes happen as we are humans. Everyone has their ways of doing things and as long as they work for them that's great. I enjoy hearing all ways and then I sift through them and decide which ones make sense to me and which ones I don't think are any better than what I am already doing. Main thing is, stay safe and respectful of each other.

Just a hunter I hope you get that streak of copper gone for good.I keep a bottle of Bore Tech on hand to check if the KG products get it all the first time as it will turn a patch blueish if any is present.
I have 2 Browning BLR's that has to be cleaned from the muzzle as no one I know has the knowledge to disassemble the rack and pinion to clean from the chamber end.Same way for the Winchester 94's but I can disassemble the action on them but it takes a while so I don't always take the action apart as I may only shoot them a few times every now and then so I just clean from the muzzle and there has been no drop in accuracy in all that I clean from the muzzle but I know many people think differently and that's ok.The Marlins I always remove the bolt as it is so easy.
Since I got the borescope I clean better but worry a lot too.

I sure like the Wipeout and Patchout product and Accelerator. Cleans without scrubbing and has a pleasant smelling