Copper removal from used gun

Yes sir, thank you for that. I've broken in a few new guns but never had any trouble getting the copper that I could see out. I agree that every other one has gotten easier as I shot and cleaned. Like I said in my initial post, this rifle hasn't been manufactured in several years and I honestly believe it hasn't been shot except for at the factory. Do you think the copper could get more difficult to get out because it has been there so long?
Sure.....and the same with carbon. I always let the barrel cool when finished shooting, then run a couple of wet patches in the bore to start soaking before I take it home and finish cleaning. Now that you have it clean, do a normal break in like you have done in the past and you should be good to go.

Sure.....and the same with carbon. I always let the barrel cool when finished shooting, then run a couple of wet patches in the bore to start soaking before I take it home and finish cleaning. Now that you have it clean, do a normal break in like you have done in the past and you should be good to go.
Thank you for the response and thanks to everyone else as well. I'm going to try a few new cleaners that I have never tried before just to see how I like them.

There have been a lot of great suggestions. Many who gave me the same advice not so long ago. At the end of the day the best thing that worked for me was LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of repetition alternating between copper and carbon removal products and alternating between brush and patches. I always finish with Hornady cleaner/lubrication spray for corrosion protection.
my two main products are wipeout and wipeout tactical. I'll use wipeout foaming product overnight prior to getting back to it the following day.

KG copper/bore cleaner. It will change your life. Tried everything, find it, order it, pay for it, use it. 5 minutes all copper gone no smell/toxicity easy not messy.

I think he wrote that he did try it, and even after leaving it sit for several minutes didn't notice anything different.

I found some directions for using Wipeout. I may need to get some.

"IF THERE IS NO COLOR ON THE PATCH……….THE FIREARM IS CLEAN.

IF THERE IS ANY COLOR ON THE PATCH
: Apply the Wipe-Out ™ again to the barrel.

If the first patch showed all three colors, the gun is heavily fouled. Let the gun set for 60 minutes or more, overnight is best. Wipe-Out ™ will continue to work for 24 to 36 hours.

Wipe-Out ™ was formulated for long term soaking, to absolutely remove the most stubborn fouling."

I have wipe out. I have Boretech CU 2+ and Montana Extreme. Wipeout may work well if you let it soak, probably does, but
Boretech CU 2+ and Montana Extreme work in a 15 min. soaking if you are in a hurry. Patches are all blue. You need to use alchohol after using these though. How do you get a barrel cleaner than this last picture, when it was really fouled?
I like to use wipeout as a carbon remover more than a copper remover, but it may work fine if you leave it to soak.

Attachments

• WIN_20210414_18_46_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210414_18_46_37_Pro.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 41
  • blue patches.jpg
    blue patches.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • clean bore.jpg
    clean bore.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 45
I've used Montana Extreme at work and have had to do repeated soakings. but it does work. I haven't used Wipe Out. But I like the foam type after using Gunslick. Unfortunately they discontinued Gunslick.

I've used Montana Extreme at work and have had to do repeated soakings. but it does work. I haven't used Wipe Out. But I like the foam type after using Gunslick. Unfortunately they discontinued Gunslick.
Yes I am intrigued by the foam products. I'm going to order some myself and try it.

One guy at work frosted a barrel by forgeting he had the solvent in a barrel. I know that can happen to anyone so I try to use solvents that aren't as aggressive. A foam that you can safely leave over night seems pretty good.

Believe it or not, I bought a can of Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner to try and it seems to work very well.....actually faster then the liquid Hoppe's in a jar.......but still the great original smell that a shooter will recognize anywhere.;)

Believe it or not, I bought a can of Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner to try and it seems to work very well.....actually faster then the liquid Hoppe's in a jar.......but still the great original smell that a shooter will recognize anywhere.;)
It worked on the copper fouling? TIA.

It worked on the copper fouling? TIA.
Absolutely! It starts out an orange color when you spray it in and turns blue from copper. So if you let it soak, patch it out, and apply it a 2nd time and it doesn't change color, it's pretty clean. Keep in mind, it's not fast fast fast like ammonia based cleaners, but it's great for a few hours or overnight applications. Oh one more thing, it seems to be under pretty high pressure, so when you shoot it down the bore, cover the muzzle or hang an empty coke bottle over the barrel or you'll have it in places you don't want.😂

Absolutely! It starts out an orange color when you spray it in and turns blue from copper. So if you let it soak, patch it out, and apply it a 2nd time and it doesn't change color, it's pretty clean. Keep in mind, it's not fast fast fast like ammonia based cleaners, but it's great for a few hours or overnight applications.
That works for me. Thanks.