Removing copper

Bergara has some real problems with how their rifles are bedded. Glass bedding the action into the stock has fixed the accuracy issues on 4 of these that the owners have brought to me. Groups are now under 1/2" consistently.
Yeah, that's where I'm at. It's a bedding issue I'm pretty sure. Last one was a chamber issue. I've got the worst luck with rifles.

I will second boretech best stuff I've ever tried.
I go a bit of a different route but you guys have me thinking. I've always stripped mine clean because it's been so easy. I start with a clean barrel then after 2-3 shots it shoots great. I'll shoot that all season so maybe 50 rounds then I clean it again oil it and store for the summer months. I may try lettting some build up to see how it does then maybe a few patches just to remove the carbon and some copper hen store. Or just a copper remover then wipe down with oil and call it a day.

Was watching gunwerks other nite....aaron was cleaning a rifle.....5 minutes.....cant recall the stuff he was using...GPsomething?.....

Was watching gunwerks other nite....aaron was cleaning a rifle.....5 minutes.....cant recall the stuff he was using...GPsomething?.....
I would like for them to scope the barrel before and after, five minutes is not going to clean to bare metal. I use Boretech Eliminator and it takes longer than five minutes. I scope the barrel after each session and always a few streaks of copper that need more work done.

Did you check your action bolts? My CA did something almost identical and I could not feel any moment in stock to receiver but when I checked the bolts they were loose the front very loose. Torqued back to spec. and she shot great again.

Did you check your action bolts? My CA did something almost identical and I could not feel any moment in stock to receiver but when I checked the bolts they were loose the front very loose. Torqued back to spec. and she shot great again.
Yes, rifles been gone through very thoroughly.

Bergara has some real problems with how their rifles are bedded. Glass bedding the action into the stock has fixed the accuracy issues on 4 of these that the owners have brought to me. Groups are now under 1/2" consistently.

The front action screw on my Bergara HMR Pro stock is offset from center by .050 so when the action is tightened the barrel sits offset in the channel of the stock. I had sent it in for: 1. The scope base mounting holes not being centered (they replaced the action). 2. The stock issue. They sent it back without addressing the stock and did not leave any kind of note or explanation. 3. The countersink if the muzzle/crown was off center. They re-machined the crown and re-cerakoted. Not the kind of issues expected for the price of the gun. Sorry about the rant.

The front action screw on my Bergara HMR Pro stock is offset from center by .050 so when the action is tightened the barrel sits offset in the channel of the stock. I had sent it in for: 1. The scope base mounting holes not being centered (they replaced the action). 2. The stock issue. They sent it back without addressing the stock and did not leave any kind of note or explanation. 3. The countersink if the muzzle/crown was off center. They re-machined the crown and re-cerakoted. Not the kind of issues expected for the price of the gun. Sorry about the rant.
Have to agree. I have been very UN-impressed with the Bergara rifles I have worked on. I think there are FAR better made rifles in that price range, hell even a Savage is better put together and finished. Bergara has displayed really poor QC and they don't seem to have the ability to fix them correctly. It is pretty much a gunsmith repair and Bergara won't pay for it. Anyone thinking of getting one should examine it in really close detail and even then you may not find all the issues. Personally I would just buy something else.

Joe Frazell, Bergara is one of the more under rated rifles out there. they have decent accuracy. I would also do one other thing before firing it, I would run JB Bore Paste down the barrel (breach to muzzle) about 20 to 50 times to get the carbon out of it as well. It will also makes sure if there is a choke point in your barrel that you will know it. with the bore paste going down your barrel you will smooth the "feathers" of the machining process will lay down or get polished off so the barrel will not copper up nearly as badly.

I use Sweets 7.62 when I completely strip the copper from a barrel.
I find when a barrel (factory or custom) start to lose accuracy, a total cleaning will bring them back to shooting well after a few foulers. Anywhere from 3 to 20+ sometimes.
I agree with this, at some point, any rifle I have needs stripped of all carbon and copper. If you have a borescope, you can adjust your cleaning regime accordingly and never run into issues.
I have been cleaning a 6x47 barrel since yesterday at 3 pm, not constantly mind you, the first 5" of this thing looks like a washed out mtn trail. Only myself to blame, as I have the tools to not let this happen. Maybe getting only 40 accurate shots after a cleaning should have been a trigger.
To the OP, I like Montana Extreme copper killer, but will always use it in conjunction with Boretech C4.
The barrel I am whining like a little school girl about most likely was attacked with a combo solvent and never followed up on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.