Copper fouling or not?

Triggernosis

O.K., so I finally received my cleaning supplies in and got around to cleaning my .270 of the crud that's in the barrel. Unfortunately I only had one old bronze brush that has been crushed in the bottom of my shooting box, so I really couldn't do any scrubbing at all - I'll pick up some more tomorrow. Anyway, after running about 10 or so patches down the barrel (soaked with 2/3 Shooter's Choice 1/3 Kroil), and letting it sit a couple of minutes between each one, I can still see quite a bit of copper streaks at the muzzle.
Is this what is considered copper fouling? If it is, do I need to get something more aggressive to get it out or will a new brush likely scrub it out? (The one I used was pitiful)
I can't believe I let my barrel get dirty anyway as I'm usually a stickler about keeping my weapons clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yep thats copper poop. Get a more aggresive copper remover, Montana extreme, Sweets, Barnes, Wipe out, there are so many! Use a nylon bristle brush and follow the instructions on the bottle. Wipe-out is nice as its a over night foam type cleaner.

Dave

I would agree with BD408 but I would start a bit less aggressively with the bore cleaner. I would recommend Tetras copper remover. Not as agressive as the ones BD listed and may take a bit longer but is easier on the bores as well.

Repeat as instructed until she comes out clear with no blue color. If there is any blue, you still have copper in the barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Just a followup.
I was finally able to get that copper out after I got me a good brush and numerous scrubbings and passes with the Shooter's Choice/Kroil mixture.
I'm gonna pick up some Shooter's Choice Copper Remover or something similar to make it easier on me next time. And NEXT time I won't shoot 60-70 rounds through it before I clean it!
Thanks for the help, guys.

The Shooters Choice will work a lot better if you don't mix it with other chemicals. Wipe Out works without the brushing and will never hurt the barrel. I soak mine overnight in it. A normal fouled barrel will be clean in 6-8 patches. That means a lot less strokes down the barrel with the rod.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.