Cooper Rifles

Greg Duerr

Has anyone had any issues with their Cooper Rifles................

I like them but had my last rifle built by TS Customs and it was over the top, excellent rifle....they might cost a bit more but you get everything you want and then some.

I like the McMillian gel swirls as everyone was beautiful...........Mix any three colors you like in any % and you have a one of a kind camo color......... Travis was great to work with, hard to beat what you get from Him.

I have 3 of them and love all 3. A 300 Weatherby, 25-06, and a 280ai. I don't have the fancy wood, although I will in time, I do have the synthetic stocks. All 3 guns shoot lights out, all under .5 moa. I have not really had any problems with any of them and don't really expect too and if I do, the dealings I have had with Cooper on the phone has been top notch. In my opinion, they make one of the greatest rifles out there.

Just got my second cooper. The first was 2008 . Both are excellent in fit, forrm, finish and accuracy. I have customs but will definitely have another cooperwhen the budget
permits

A Cooper in 6.5x284 has been my constant companion for seven seasons. It's accurate and reliable, with one of the smoothest actions I've owned. I've shot over 50 deer and antelope, and lost count of the varmints. Furthest was 1188 Yards.
FA132B86-AB24-4841-864D-1940B6691FA9.jpeg

Boy oh boy

What a great question.

I have 5 special order rifles from Cooper. And then one of the Cooper/Colt 308's from 2012? Does that make 6?

Firstly, this is our last chance to order semi-custom guns at an affordable price. Get one.

When I wanted a Phoenix in 6.5-284 with a fluted barrel, at the time back then they did not flute barrels. Now they do. After a great conversation they agreed to flute the. SS barrel. Of course the bug hole target came with it. Have shot steel steel to 1400 yards with it. Tried F-Open with it and it came in middle of the pack with a 5.5-25 NSX. Not bad against expensive custom built rifles with 55x scopes.

Then I sent them 4 Turkish blanks to build some dream guns, 3 of the 4 showed up in Barrett Jackson condition with test targets that were easily matched. The 4rth was not correct to the order for specs. I sent it back for corrections without even shooting it.

This is the cool part. That year I walked up to the Cooper booth at the SHOT SHOW, the helpful person looked at my name tag and said, oh Joe, we will have your 222 rem done and back to you soon. Is that customer service?

In 2012 when they did the run of the Colt/Cooper I had to have one. When a buddy heard I was ordering it, he needed one too. He has shot F Class with it and always in the top 10 with 185 B Hybrids and Varget. He shot it out and rebarrelled it with a custom barrel. It shoots about the same after a smith who builds F Class rifles went through it.

If you get one, know the tolerances and Dimensions are tight. Max loads are lower. Velocities are matched if careful. Accuracy has never been less than superb. Customer service is like a 1965 gas station where they run out to pump your gas, check your oil, check tire pressure, and wash your windshield.

Other than that I don't have a lot good to say about them so I will give you twenty bucks a pound for any Coopers you are tired of.....

Last edited:
I have a cooper model 52 in 6.5x284 as well. Excalibur similar to Greyfox it is capable of extreme accuracy as well. Had an issue with the magazine when it was new. Sent it back and it was repaired quickly and returned. If there was one thing I would change it would be the safety. Its more like a switch than a safety and can be moved inadvertently, very quiet and all but I prefer a more positive safety.

All else is top notch bore is as nice as you will find ,trigger breaks like glass, stock and action fitment is excellent, smooth as any that I own.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

You'll be hard pressed to find a better semi custom or custom rifle than a Cooper. A hunting buddy of mine has a 280AI Excalibur and it shoots amazingly well.

I have a Coopermodel 21 in 17 Mach 4 I bought in 2004. It's a tack driver but I have rarely shot it as I have other .17 calibers. The wood is fantastic.

BIL had two Coopers which were awesome, in looks, smoothness and accuracy. He ended up selling and replacing with HS Precisions though. If Cooper made their Excalibur in lefty, I'd definitely have one in my safe. Looks like they now have their Backcountry in lefty and Timberline lefty in the works so will check those out.

I just purchased my first cooper. I got a backcountry in 280 AI. It shot 1 moa with a few different types of factory ammo. I havent had a chance to put together some reloads that they used for the test target. Customer service has been great. They emailed me the barrel twist, the final load recipe weight and the C.O.A.L. for my reloads. The fit and finish is top notch. I slapped a nightforce SHV on the top and it will be my south africa rifle this june for plains game. I plan on buying 2 more cooper rifles this year. 6.5-284 and some sort of 30 caliber magnum

I just purchased my first cooper. I got a backcountry in 280 AI. It shot 1 moa with a few different types of factory ammo. I havent had a chance to put together some reloads that they used for the test target. Customer service has been great. They emailed me the barrel twist, the final load recipe weight and the C.O.A.L. for my reloads. The fit and finish is top notch. I slapped a nightforce SHV on the top and it will be my south africa rifle this june for plains game. I plan on buying 2 more cooper rifles this year. 6.5-284 and some sort of 30 caliber magnum
Great choice! Practice off shooting sticks. Where I was, the foliage was too high for a bipod but depends upon your terrain. I had never shot off sticks but when my outfitter told me that, I bought some and put about 300 rounds over them at home. At first, it was aweful. Then it got better. Had I not been told that, the trip would have been a lot less fun. Best of luck in Africa. I don't know anyone who went there, that did not go back again.

My pal just got his Cooper in 300HH with a maple stock. Awesome rifle.

As mentioned earlier, I have never met a Cooper I didn't like. The best part is you can order it how you like right down to personalized serial numbers. 4 of mine start with "joepXXX"

Buy a Cooper and you wont be disappointed. The only thing that I have any issue with the rifle is the magazine. But that is a small price to pay for the way the rifles shoot. They are very well built and perform. From .22 cal up to the big magnums every one of them I have been around shoots very well. My dad purchased the M52 Long Range in 28 Nosler. It shoots under 1/2 MOA very consistently with a 180 Berger Hybrid at 3190 fps muzzle velocity. Shot it out to 1797 yards last weekend. I have several custom rifles that the Cooper will shoot along side and give nothing up. Needless to say.. I am a fan. For the price i don't think there is a better rifle out there, until you get into some real high dollar custom stuff.

I have 6 of them and have shot at least 10 of them and have never shot one that won't shoot 1/2 Moa at the worst. For around 2 grand they are an absolute bargain. Full customs from the right builder will shoot a little better but they cost twice as much. Outstanding gun for the money can't be beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.