Cooper Rifles

Due to fortunate circumstances I manged to buy two Cooper Custom Classics from Prophet River in Alberta and got them back to NZ. One is a Model 54 in 250 Sav AI (22") which is my wife's and the other a Model 52 in 25-06 (26"). Both rifles shoot better than the 1/2" guarantee and recently I shot a 3 shot group at 400m that went 0.623" ctc with the 25-06. Here is the Red Stag my wife shot at 247m with her Cooper 250 Sav AI.
Hukarere Stag (2).jpg

Ive got 4, a 25-06, 6.5-284, 300 rum and my latest a 28 nosler, has feeding issues, I sent it back to cooper and they said it wont be sent back to me until it is perfect. Their customer service seems great. I also have a one in 300 rum and the bolt stop broke off after the 4th round when it was new. It was also fixed quickly. My older coopers were flawless. I feel like some of their quality control has slipped. All 4 of mine shoot great, the 28 nosler and 300 rum are both true 1/4 moa guns.

I have 2 Coopers a 204 and 6.5-284 and like everyone else shoot great, the only issue I have ever had with Cooper was the customer service when I called them about putting a break on the 6.5-284, the lady I spoke with acted like she knew nothing about a rifle by telling me that she did not know if they could put a brake on a model 22 as they have never done one and if I wanted to send it in the would take a look at it in 3-4 months and decide if they could (idiot).she also advised me if I had it done elsewhere that they (Cooper) would void my barrel warr. Greg what did Travis build for you I have 2 of his builds

I've had a 6.5/284 for 5 yrs and it's a dream to shoot. I have had 7 different people hit targets from 800 yds to 110 yds without a change to zero. The gun just shoots

I've had 5 of them. They all met the half moa guarantee or better. I have a model 22 custom classic single shot in 22-250. That rifle consistently shot in the .3's until I shot the barrel out. On the current barrel it shoots half moa consistently with 75 grain Hornady ELD-M's. I took two prairie dogs with it last spring at 1127 and 1131 yards. I think Cooper is the best value out there.

"Also I bought the 28 Nosler from large stocking Cooper dealer but the .300 Win Mag (new) off Gunbroker, if I'd had a problem with the 28 the dealer would have handled communication with Cooper and shipped it back. One disadvantage to buying off the internet.

I need to push it with Cooper and will. I bought a GAP in .300 Win Mag from Cabela's (got a deal) pulled the Nightforce off the Cooper and got distracted with all the 1/2" groups the GAP shot right out of the box.[/QUOTE]"

It makes one wonder if the .300WM was on GB because it would not shoot.

I realize this is an older thread but my experience is like armbar. I purchases a M54 in 7mm-08 Rem in 2012. I could not get better than 1.5" groups. I returned it to Cooper and after a long wait had it back with no explanation as to their findings. The rifle still wouldn't shoot. I returned it again. Same thing. I sold it a purchased another. The second one again wouldn't shoot. Returned it. Same thing. Fast forward to 2019 and I still have yet to hunt with the Cooper. This time it was not ejecting fired rounds. I finally sent it to my gunsmith who said the extractor was bent and seemed if it hadn't been heat treated. While there I had him check it for accuracy issues. He said the chamber wasn't concentric. It is now still at the gunsmiths waiting for a new Benchmark barrel. Copper did offer to look at it again but told me they only had one gunsmith at this time and were backlogged. Because I'm in Canada and I didn't want to wait another 6-8 months I elected to rebarrel it on my dime.
I guess I've heard too many stories about how great they shoot and figure I must be one unlucky SOB because I just purchased another one in 6mm Rem. I haven't got it yet but I'm hoping to have better luck than I had with the first one.

I know this is s older thread, but any factory ammo recommendations for a cooper model 52 Jackson hunter 25-06? I have one coming in hopefully next week.
Thanks in advance

I know this is s older thread, but any factory ammo recommendations for a cooper model 52 Jackson hunter 25-06? I have one coming in hopefully next week.
Thanks in advance
Although I haven't shot any factory ammo through my model 52 Custom Classic in 25-06 I can tell you that I couldn't get 100 grain Nosler Partitions to group better than 1.5" at 100 m.

The Sierra 100 gr Game Kings and Pro Hunters shoot very well and I managed a 3 shot group that measured .623" at 400 m with hand loaded Game Kings.

My suggestion would be for you to try and find some factory ammo with either the 100 gr of 117 gr Sierra Game Kings, I believe Federal load those bullets in their ammo.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information, i will definitely look into those brands of ammo.
Any one else out there with more ammo advice for the 25-06 cooper.
I'm gonna get into reloading, but looking for factory ammo options that have worked well for you guys.

Yeah that's the plan I'm going to try to buy a couple different brands of ammo, try to see what works best. But I can't find any 25 - 06 ammo anywhere except for GunBroker. Going to call Cooper and see what powder and bullet formula work best for that gun. And then try to find some Factory loads that are pretty similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.