Cooper Rifles

Grey Fox

I dont know how you could beat that king of shooting........... .2- .3 @100 and 1.25 at 500 Thats incredible!...

Which gun do you have............wood stock or the synthedic?

When you can spend $1600 and get that kind of accuracy, its hard justifying spending $3000 for a Smithed custom Rifle. The difference alone is the cost of great scope.
I usually shoot stocks fitted at 13 7/8 but I can live with 1/8 difference.
I have not heard much if anyting about the trigger, if it is adjustable to 32oz or less.
Im looking at getting the Jackson or the Excaliber in the .280 AI.............
I have been meaning to call Cooper with the trigger question and also was wondering why the Magnum Calibers cost $1000 More than the non-magnums....................
What bullet do you shoot? Will the twist rate stabalize the 130 or 140 Berger VLD's? What scope do you have on it also....................
Sounds like you have a dream rifle.

Greg

The Cooper I have is from Best of the West. It is a special with options. It has a Jackson Hunter stock, #6 fluted barrel with removeable muzzle brake , coated barrel and action. Huskamaw 5x20 scope. It has a 1:8 twist. The trigger is adjustable , but I don't know how light you can make it. I left mine at 3.5. I shoot 140 Hunting Bergers, 59 gr Retumbo.fed 215, Lapua brass, at 2966 FPS. It is surely a dream rifle!
A few people I have met with Coopers get similiar performance. A guy at my club had a Phoenix that shot as well as mine.

Grey Fox.............................Did cooper put on your Muzzle Break or was that, after Market...............and was one of the Cooper options the twist rate.......how did that work out.................and you did the metal coating........after market or option
Yes, it does sound like you have what ever guy out there is looking for.

If you can send a picture I would love to see it....................We have a Scheels here in town, and they said they have a Excaliber in the 6.5x284 on order....................the only thing that turned me away from it was that the standard twist rate is 1x9, which means no VLD's ..................Let me know, now you have really got my attention.

Greg

Greg...i am out of town and will try to post pictures next week. Might have to e mail them....having troubles posting pictures with my I pad. The rifle was commissioned for BOW by Cooper. The BOW site has pictures of the magnum version with a tactical stock. I understand all the mods were delivered by Cooper. I have seen elsewhere on this site that people have special ordered a 1:8 twist from them. Id give Cooper a call, they are pretty responsive. The rifle I have came as a complete package , case ,ammo,scope,turrets,tested, etc.(gift from my wife....it was kind of strange since I'm a put it together yourself type, so I still worked up my own loads and data. I'll have to admit, the rifle was nuts on and delivered .25moa to exact elevation right out of the box......impressive!!). I calculated the rifle with mods to be around $2700-3000 taking some info off the Cooper site. Adding all the other items that came with the rifle, I calculated that it was about a $1500 premium for the set up and work. The total cost was $6500. if a person didn't have the time and could afford it, it's a great deal, and the rifle is put together like a Swiss watch. I would add that I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 that delivers .25-,5 MOA after some stock work. No comparison in workmanship, but it gets the job done.

Grey Fox

$6000 for everything ....................................??

The Jackson Hunter in the .280 Ackley lists for about $1600. Id probably take the Leupold 4.5-14 off of my .243 and put it on the .280
Your goup size at 500 is amazing to me..............Im in no way there yet, but im walking that way.................I cant even imagine those kind of groups at 500, let alone shooting at that distance.
Thanks for sharing your experances and I would love to see your gun

email [email protected]

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.